recommendations please for wifi printer and speakers

mint

Yes, I'm back asking advice for my shopping needs

And, yes, I do know I can google and compare prices, specs, etc etc.  But I know I shan't like trying to understand the  tech language and I don't care to spend hours on websites or indeed in shops.  Nothing like a personal recommendation, IMO.

Please just tell me what you have and how you rate the equipment.

I think I'd also consider a printer/scanner as that's often helpful if someone needs some pièce d'identité or some some such tout de suite!  It's always, can you do it straightaway these days, isn't it?

Many thanks

I ended up buying a very cheap HP wifi printer and for all we had a couple of problems setting it up, maybe because we are on linux,  it is about the best we have had.

OH nearly had a fit when I brought it in, he does not like HP, but agrees that it is fine now it is working.

I recently bought an HP Envy 4500 from Rue de Commerce for just under 60€.

It can be connected via WiFi, and prints, scans, copies, and produces good quality pictures.

It was accepting remanufactured ink cartridges until recently, but refused the last colour cartridges I bought. The supplier gave me a credit for these (I threw them), and I'm now using genuine HP cartidges.

I think a software update for the machine may have caused it to flat refuse the non-HP cartridges. Previously it just said it wasn't a genuine cartridge, but lately it simply says the cartridge is incorrect.

Two recommendations for HP; great, I had a HP laser years and years ago and it kept on going forever.  I left it behind when I moved to France.

NM, I have had a quick look on Amazon UK and FR, considerably cheaper in the UK even after paying postage.

The cartridges, however, are a bit eye-watering.  OTOH, I have seen a number of these printers on leboncoin, with a brand new one (sous emballage) with 2 colour cartridges included for 50 euros.

Going to leave it now until after Christmas because I don't want it sitting in some sorting office instead of on my desk!

Any advice on speakers, svp?

Speakers, do you mean bluetooth speakers? Just bought one from Amazon "Bluedio" A single unit with good sound, volume and no distortion. 50€ but you can get them cheaper (I paid 29€ when they were on offer). Connects to phone and tablets without difficulty.

Is Wi-Fi really a necessity?

I guess it dépends how often you print, I do so so infrequently that the cartridges dry out, for me its not a problem to take the laptop to the printer and plug it in, or is it that all you tablet users dont have USB ports?

The being connected and downloading updates to refuse non HP cartridges is enough to make me remain with my non Wi-Fi one.

There was an HP 3 in 1 printer in Leclerc recently for €20 with cashback, less than the price of a pair of generic ink cartridges.

I bought a black and white laser printer from Rue de Commerce as a standby or if I had a lot of pages to print, (might happen one day but hasnt yet) that was €29 delivered [:-))]

Thank you for the further replies.

I have made a note of the speakers, Lehaut, and they do sound ideal for listening to music, which is the main object of them for me.  Norman has told me for years that I should have speakers and I reckon I have had long enough weighing up the cost!

Chance, good advice from you, as is usual with diy, techie stuff.  I hope to PM you later re something completely different but I now need to take advantage of heures creuses to do the ironing and cooking lunch!

Us, les radins, plan most of life's events, making the most economical sense[:)]

[quote user="Chancer"]The being connected and downloading updates to refuse non HP cartridges is enough to make me remain with my non Wi-Fi one.[/quote]Updates are entirely optional and cannot happen without the users active participation and acceptance, in fact in most cases you have to go and search for updates - then download them - then manually install them.

I've had HP multifunction devices for many years, my Trusty 950c lasted for over a decade and finally went t1ts up earlier this year to be replaced, eventually, with a manufacturers refurbished HP8600.

It doesn't accept non original cartridges unfortunately but despite the fact that a set of 4 originals are £60 or so on eBay they last forever, after a year and a fair bit of printing the 3 colours are still a good 1/3 full and the black although reporting empty for about a month continues to work.

In between had a dalliance with a Canon MG6150 - highly rated in reviews - and although it took 3rd party cartridges which were dirt cheap (it took 7 !) all I ever seemed to be doing was replacing them, a dozen prints or so and god knows how may cleaning cycles in between just demolished them.

If that wasn't enough 9/10 it took at least a minute of cleaning and frenetic internal activity before it deigned to produce anything, I took to leaving it switched on which seemed to at least reduce the cleaning, it went in the skip.

I think my problem is not using the printer enough and them drying out, I have had the same problem with buying cartridges as spares for future use, I throw away a cartridge that has printed perhaps 10 pages and replace it with a (not so) new and unused one and it doesnt work, when I bought them from the cartridge shop near me in the UK they would replace them but now its just Amazon.fr delivered to me in France and blow me down most of them turn out to be UK sellers!

Mine is an HP2280 and apart from my not using it enough I'm very pleased with it, its not wifi though and I can see the advantage of one, I think if I had one switched on all the time it would get used more and not dry out, its a faff to keep dragging the laptop to another room, connecting it etc.

The reason I want wifi is so that I can make space on my desk for the new speakers that I am going to be getting![:D]

Chance, I am now more or less free, apart from setting dishwasher and clothes washer and getting myself ready for bed so will be PMing you in the next half hour or so.  It's not anything important and does not require an answer.

I have been notified that there is a cheap as chips HP printer in a 24-hour sale.

"Great", I thought, that is, until I saw the price of the ink cartridges.  So what I need to ask is this:  would the printer work with just a black ink cartridge?  If I bought both black and colour cartridges, the cost is around 40 pounds or whatever in euros.

Jonzjob, if you read this, could you post again that online company that you use for your inks?  

[quote user="mint"]

Jonzjob, if you read this, could you post again that online company that you use for your inks?  

[/quote]

Hi Mint. I have just noticed this. The people I have used for a fair long while are this lot .

If you have any queries then give them a call. They are very helpful.

The printer we have just bought is an Epson Stylus Photo R2000. Probably a bit too big for your purpose as it prints up to A3+ and roll paper too. I want it to print large photos and one of them is just over 1 metre long! It's a photo of a painting on  a wall in our village château. This is it

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/ChateauduMalves1reduced_zpsc2b125be.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/ChateauduMalves1reduced_zpsc2b125be.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Normally a printer will not print unless all of the cartridges are in place and have ink in them. So just having a black one in there will probably not work?

Thank you so much, Norman and Jonz for your posts.

Jonz, I am now, I hope and trust, sorted for my own printer needs.  I am, however, going to look at that printer of yours.

OH has a large photocopier that does A3s for his architectural drawings, etc.  What he does is draw on A3s and then reduce the drawings to A4s so that they are easier to carry around and discuss them!

Not that he does anything professionally now but, you know how it is, once people find out you could do something, they seem to have no hesitation in asking you!!  And he, ever courteous, ever helpful, can never say "go away and leave me in peace".

I shall do a thorough search for the speakers and to look at that printer, so you have helped immensely[:D]

Oh dear? I thought that EVERYONE was educated properly [:-))]

It stands for a 5 part trilogy wroted by Douglas Adams called The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. One of the leading dramatique writers of our time and essential listening on the Beeb. Then they ruined it by trying to get the universe onto a 'haunted fish tank' screen and failed!!

Strictly for your education

Firstly, I am not into sci fi, Jonz.  There are enough scary things going on in the world without imagining them!

As for a 5 part trilogy, forgive me, but I thought trilogies only have...er....3 parts?

Been at the Christmas Wincarnis, as Wooly might say?[:D]

It is pure comedy lass and one of the funniest series I have heard for a very long time. Shame they took so much away for t'tele

Plus our Mr Adams was a genius with maths and could make 5 go into 3 no sweat [6]

I have never been into sky-fi or owt like that either but this is good comedy..

In 1979 I bought a house from Hotblack Desiato.

Would that be Hotblack Desiato,the guitar keyboard player of the loudest band in the universe, a humanoid and front man for the band Disaster Area?

or

An Islington estate agent?

You don't know?

Perhaps you had best ask Douglas Adams.

regards

cajal

Just want to say thank you to everyone.  As usual, after listening to all your advice, I made a decision and it's just right for me.  Nearly every time I have been on the forum to seek advice, I have obtained answers that, even if I don't follow the advice, lead me to an excellent decision.

In the end, I decided that I didn't really have anywhere but my bedroom for the printer and, what's more, it's only logical to put it on my desk, next to the laptop.  Therefore no wifi needed.

Next, I baulked so much at ink cartridges that I thought I'd go the laser route.

Then I thought, how often do I need to scan things, given that all the usual guff of marriage, birth certs etc are already in the computer, ready just to send off.

So, no colour necessary and, even if I want things in colour, I can just pop along to the mairie, 2 minutes walk, and madame la secrètaire will photocopy for a few cents whatever I need.

And here I am, with a Samsung laser Xpress M2026 for under 40 quid, plug in, no need for drivers or anything else, and print out several pages in less than the time it takes to take a couple of sips of my glass of wine (well, it IS New Year's eve and I am over the norovirus)[:D]

• 6 months later...