Estate agent's mandate to sell

Chico

I have a draft copy for a mandate to sell our house through a French estate agent.  The text is a standard FNAIM wording.  I am fairly happy that I understand this, but it would be nice to have a version in English.  I've failed to find one on the web.  Does anyone know if one exists?

Chico

I am sometimes asked to provide an English translation of a mandate (and other property documents) but the cost is generally prohibitive as no two are alike. What I advise clients and would suggest in your own case is to ask the estate agent to go through the document with you point by point to explain what it means. Legal gobbledegook can be as inexplicable in English as it is in French, and because of the differences in law the terminology is often untranslatable..

That said, your agent may have a copy of 'Contrats de l'agent immobilier' (Delmas, FNAIM) which contains most of the standard contracts used (including various 'Mandats de vente') in French, English, German, Italian and Spanish.

Hope that helps - P-D de R.

Many thanks P-D de R.  What you say confirms my expectation that no there are no off-the-shelf translations of even the standard contract forms.  Fortunately the FAIM "Mandate de Vente Succes" that I shall be asked to sign is fairly easy to follow in relation to the main features, it's just that it's a bit heavy going once you get to the General Conditions.  I shall do as you suggest and go through it with the agent who is a brilliant communicator.

Chico