ebay debutante

mint

I take a peep on the forum on a warm, bright, sunny morning, hoping to defer the moment of the rolling-up-of-sleeves to do some physical work, and I learn more internet slang and ebayese[:)]

I now suspect that the new bid on my item might well be a shill bid as it's had 2 new bids and gone up by 20 quid!

However, on this occasion, I am no longer interested as I now have offers of 3 beautiful-looking mandolins and am seriously considering buying 2, in the hope that I might actually learn how to strum along a bit on what will be my "lesser" model.

Betty, nice to see you back to enliven discussion and give us all the odd snigger at some of your more .............er...........engaging remarks.

PS the above is not meant as snidey.  The dark days (in all senses) are approaching fast and the forum might be a refuge for many!

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Just as a point of order, you don't need to open a paypal account to pay by PayPal. Just sayin'[/quote]

Well Betty, doing so is about as easy as finding the Customer services phone number of a company Under the "Contact us" section of their website, try DFDS ferries and see if you have more patience or better eyes than me.

I often get customers turning up offering a credit card having not read any of my communications, they can use it to pay by Paypal but if they dont have an account? Well knowing that it can be done doesn't make it happen, I have spent probably a whole day in dribs and drabs and never found how, every Customer tries to do so and gives up in desperation.

I would really like to know how it can be done.

There is still time to redeem yourself, try getting a phone number for DFDS Customer services from their website, no cheating and Googling.

Booked a crossing last night and wanted to contact them, not a chance, another "no contact" organisation, TBH there are plenty of others just like them.

I'm a bit busy today! However, if I go to DFDS website, it gives me this:

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service/contact-us

And when I click on the little "I" under each heading, it takes me to a list of phone numbers.

And it says that if you've already booked, there's a number to ring on your booking confirmation.....

If you really want something the thing to do is set up Auction Sniper, easy and inexpensive. It will bid up to your maximum in the last second or two thus denying the seller or other bidders the chance to play games with " bidding you up"

The downside is there is no second chance so be very sure you are offering the maximum you are happy to pay. The software will only go one bid higher than the existing bid, so you won't over pay.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'm a bit busy today! However, if I go to DFDS website, it gives me this: https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service/contact-us And when I click on the little "I" under each heading, it takes me to a list of phone numbers. And it says that if you've already booked, there's a number to ring on your booking confirmation.....[/quote]

Well I have visited those pages many times and never seen the liitle "I" so it bears out that they really dont want anyone to find it, my booking confirmation does not have a phone number, which it should have for up to date travel information, if you have to cancel etc, it does say "to contact us click here" which is not a lot of use when you have printed the thing out, on the computer if you click it it takes you to a page, by trial and error after visting several further sub pages it does indeed bring up the French Customer services number but will refuse to give you the one in the UK for the return journey.

Armed with this new knowledge and power I then spent a further 10 minutes on their web site and you cannot find that page except for if maybe I had seen the little "I"..........................................

They do offer you live web-chat which is definitely not live outside of French (non) working hours [:(]

I wish that DFDS had not come up, travelled to France with them earlier in the year when we came in the car, and I can safely say that they are the WORST ferry company we have ever travelled with and I have used most companies in northern europe.

Will avoid them in the future.

Let's put it this way, Chancer....I visited that page for maybe the second time in my life yesterday on your account, it took me seconds to get the customer services page, the little "I" is the international symbol for "information", it appears under each picture on that page and by clicking on it I got straight to the numbers.

On that basis, your belief that "it bears out that they don't want anyone to find it" seems a bit far-fetched.

The " i " is definitely there , but it's a pretty badly designed page. I didn't really notice it, neither did I notice the accompanying drab blue MORE INFORMATION alongside it, which in no way looks like a clickable link.

What did stand out is the charge 13p per minute plus access fee to call them.

I think I would use their free chat facility instead >It's at the right hand side of this page.

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service

For my own education, I watched the last minutes of the item I made a bid for, even though I no longer wanted the item.

And, yes, I do have a better idea of how it works.  The winning bid was made in the last minute of the auction.

But, having bought a new mandolin plus protective case from a German company, I have worked out that my savings would have been in the region of 50 euros.

So, what do I get extra for the 50 euros?

a brand new instrument instead of a reconditioned one (no big deal for a musical instrument, in certain cases)

a 30 day window to change my mind and a money back guarantee

I paid by credit card of my choice, no setting up of Paypal account or anything complicated

the item is being sent by UPS and is trackable from door to door (the ebay mandolin comes from the UK and tracking is only till it leaves the UK, so the French leg is not trackable)

Next, I want to buy a sewing-machine for my neighbour (on the basis that she would sew 6 cushion covers and a duvet cover for me FOC, after which the machine is hers to keep).  Naturally, I am looking for a good one, a Singer for the cachet of the make, and one she would enjoy using.

In these circumstances, I don't mind paying a bit more than one I have seen on leboncoin.  And, yes, much as leboncoin can be addictive, I can see that ebay can be too[:-))]