recommendations for body moisturiser

mint

Mint,

I don't use perfumed creams either, I tend to react to them.

I use Nivea.  It does have a (very) slight perfume, but I have tried almost all other creams and this suits me as well as being reasonably priced and widely available.  You can buy a small travel sized pot to try out if you want, but for 2-3-4 euros depending on where bought and size you cannot go too wrong.  I buy the soft stuff (the older harder to spread cream did not suit me), but when travelling I can use the Nivea as  hand and body cream too.  It has vit E and jojoba oil in it too, if I remember, white pot with blue writing ... easy bought from most supermarkets.  I'd attach a photo but it is just so difficult on this forum to do that.

[quote user="andyh4"]Contents include microcrystalline wax.

Microcrystalline wax is defined as a high molecular weight aliphatic hydrocarbon.

Polyethylene is a high molecular weight aliphatic hydrocarbon.

So Nivea contains micro-plastic beads.[/quote]

Exactly! give her a rub down with the old fish and chip paper. slightly perfumed but delicious [:D]

Thanks for the heads up for the issue of microbeads Andy.

There does seem to be a possible disagreement about Nivea formulation nowadays:

https://www.nivea.co.uk/advice/microbeads

and

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/19/microplastics-which-beauty-brands-are-safe-to-use

Many thanks for your new replies.

Id, bio oil was prescribed by the surgeon for my massages.  However, I can't use it round my neck;  the skin comes out in rashes.  It's also a bit coloured and perfumed. 

I will certainly investigate the Aveeno and the Dexeryl and will read up on all the links provided formerly.

Thank you again to everybody for all your helpful input.  I always feel so lucky that so many come forward to help. 

Following my cancer treatment, I've been using La Roche Posay baume+ which is designed for sensitive skin. It is unperfumed and although a little expensive it does last a long time as you only need a tiny bit. I use the shower gel and the skin moisturising cream. I've recently bought the shower oil, you can use it in the bath too and it is lovely. All bought from my local pharmacy.

They often give me little samples so it might be worth asking.

I have very dry, itchy skin that is quite sensitive to most shower gels and creams but it is better with La Roche Posay products.

Thanks, Mogs. When we were house-hunting, I actually found a house on the internet in La Roche Posay.  Must say I was tempted but it seemed a long way from anywhere.

Will have a look tomorrow as I have been "short-changed" by 4 pills on one of the items on my prescription.  I see that I need 4 pills a day and they have given me a box of 20 pills.  I do find that, whichever pharmacie I use, they sooner or late make an error. 

I promised myself after the last time that I'd check everything before leaving but, like today, there are just too many different items to check and there is the usual queue so it's not always easy to balance everything somewhere in order to check them[:@]

Sorry...i am faaaaaar away so late to reply.

Another vote for Aveeno which I've used daily for a good 15 years since my dermatologist recommended it.

Another whose name escapes me which has recently "gone viral" here is a baby lotion from Boots which is super cheap and marvellous for eczema and dry skin. I will post the name when I am reunited with my bathroom tomorrow.

Also..though it does smell (of coconut, obvs) do not underestimate the power of coconut oil which has great moisturising properties as well as natural healing attributes.

I could go on. I have a bathroom full of moisturizing stuff recommended/prescribed and otherwise acquired. The three things I've listed are my staples though.

Thanks, Betty, I await your info with interest.

Haven't bought anything yet as I have been housebound through a combination of bad weather and ill health.

Only place I have been to everyday is the hospital and, by great good fortune, the vsl comes for me, the ambulancier/e waits for me and brings me home.  I can't express my gratitude enough for a service the lack of which would have made it mega difficult for me to access the treatment that I need.  I said "difficult", not impossible as, obviously, most things are possible if you chuck shed-loads of money at it.  I could not join in the discussion on another thread about the "wastefulness" of the French system and how some things should absolutely not be state-funded.

It's all very well making treatments and services available but you do need to be able to get the patients and the services in the same place..........simples, as they say!  OK, off my soap-box.  I am not saying all this as some sort of polemic, it is merely a case of thanking my lucky stars everyday and pinching myself in disbelief.  Also, a feeling exists at the back of my mind that in an imperfect world where large proportions of people never get to live in anywhere like a civilised place, that I am indeed unjustly and perhaps even undeservedly cushioned in my little refuge.

Hi Mint, sorry I’m late to the thread. I’ve been using various Green People organic products for years, so thought you might think of trying their hand and body lotion for sensitive skin.

https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/shop/by-concern/body-solutions/sensitive-hypersensitive-body-products

They deliver to France - I’m expecting a package from them shortly.

The other thing I’ve used for ages is organic Aloe Vera gel but I’m not certain whether or not the small percentage of ingredients other than aloe vera in it would aggravate your skin or not.

Good luck with finding something you can use on your skin with no problems.

Thanks, GG.  As for aloe vera, I have been getting mine from Longbridge nr Birmingham.  Actually it comes from Arizona and you can also get it if you know someone who does it on a "house party" basis.

Nothing to touch it for scalds and burns.  I have been using it for the irradiated area and, so far, more than half way through my course of 33, no real problems.  The folk at the hospital said I could use it after the sessions and at least 2 hours before the next one and so that is what I have done.

Will be looking at your link, thanks again.

Mint, the other moisturiser I've used is called Childs Farm (no apostrophe) and is from the baby section of Boots.

It is 98% organic ingredients and stupidly cheap compared to other products. I've found it very effective. I have used a perfumed and unperfumed version although the perfume is essential oil not some chemically fabricated smell.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Worth a try, IMO. it's around £3.99 for a biggish pump dispenser. As one whose skin can be so dry I look like wossisname in "The Singing Detective" I've found it very good.[/quote]

Yes, I had to check the price a couple of times.  There is stuff out there retailing for  80+ euros for 100 ml.  So, instead of a little thin smearing, I can now lather it on!

Only joking, all creams etc are best put on thinly several times and not just slapped on.

Thanks for coming to my rescue .........again![:)]