recommendations please for a hand-held vacuum cleaner

mint

I was given one of those battery ones that work from the cigarette lighter socket years ago as a xmas present, total waste of time, more suck from a car mechanic when you ask whats wrong with it.

We have one of those hand held mains electric ones we got at Emmaus in France but you can purchase them in the shops, Coopers of Stortford actually sell these, it can be found in their online catalogue  https://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/housewares/st08900i/   this link should take you to the item.

Good luck Mint, could be a nice xmas present for someone!!!

Mint ......

Two years ago, we bought a VAX Cordless SlimVac which has proved perfectly satisfactory. It doesn’t have a very long battery life (about half an hour) before you need to re-charge it, but for mopping up the odd cobweb, getting rid of that bit of crud on the tiled floor, or sorting out the car, it’s plenty of capacity. It comes with a 67cm extension for high up bits.

Snag - it was bought in John Lewis in the UK, but I’m sure that they’re available over here. It’s almost certainly not the best one on the market, but at £50 it does the job fine. I suppose you’d have to reckon on €75-ish over here now.

That looks a dinky little hoover, Dept 71.  Costs very little and is well-reviewed.  However, Coopers don't appear to deliver overseas.

Guardian, I am looking for mains as I have never found battery hoovers have the same suction power.  I don't mind mains as I have lots of extension leads[:)]

[quote user="Gardian"]Mint ......

Two years ago, we bought a VAX Cordless SlimVac which has proved perfectly satisfactory. It doesn’t have a very long battery life (about half an hour) before you need to re-charge it, but for mopping up the odd cobweb, getting rid of that bit of crud on the tiled floor, or sorting out the car, it’s plenty of capacity. It comes with a 67cm extension for high up bits.

Snag - it was bought in John Lewis in the UK, but I’m sure that they’re available over here. It’s almost certainly not the best one on the market, but at £50 it does the job fine. I suppose you’d have to reckon on €75-ish over here now.[/quote]

Blimey G! You got a tiled floor in yer car and need a 2 foot long extention to reach its roof !

WOW! That's some motor [:-))]

[quote user="mint"]That looks a dinky little hoover, Dept 71.  Costs very little and is well-reviewed.  However, Coopers don't appear to deliver overseas.

Guardian, I am looking for mains as I have never found battery hoovers have the same suction power.  I don't mind mains as I have lots of extension leads[:)]

[/quote]

Mint, There is no reason why these can't be brought in France, After all the one we got in emmaus  had a French box. Have a look on Amazon UK or France.

Daughter had one of those you put in a cradle on the wall and was permanently on charge, again it was battery powered. Wasn't nearly as powerful as our mains one.

Good luck which ever way you  go, I'll even bring my car over to you when next in France so you can clean mine!!.

Dept 71, many thanks for going to the trouble of finding and posting that link.

Now that I have seen the pictures, I believe I have a similar one somewhere in the sous sol[:$]

Granted, it's a cordless but I will dig it up and, if it's not up to the job, I will still have your link[:)]

How good you are mint, hoovering your car.

I have trouble enough getting the house done, never mind thinking about the car.

Must say that one friend rates dysons hand held, and my Aunt does not rate the Gtec hand held bit, but the main bit, she finds fantastic.

Mint, had more than one of these hand held thingys but apart from one ages ago, which might have been a black and decker, they are really not all that powerful.  I have recently bought myself a Hoover [caps intended] which is mains charged and then cordless (wonderful) for doing all my nice new wooden floors (after the flood you know!) which is the equivalent of an upright, which is light to carry, comes with lots of extras, so you can put all sorts onto the power hub, one of which would be more than suitable for doing the car.  Problem, not at all cheap, but I have yet to use any other of the many vacuums I have around (note to self, must check if they still work sometime, some got badly flooded), since I got this one.

That said, I am the world's worst housewife, but this new vacuum does make it all much easier, as well as not having to drag a cord around anywhere.

[Mint, you'll like what I nearly typed - chord, instead of cord - too much listening to classic fm methinks!).

We have a Sebo (German) upright for rugs, carpets and occasional vehicle cleaning.

About a month ago Lidl had these on sale so we bought one and it is perfect for our wooden floors and the vehicles (plenty of attachments) and the brush bar which can be attached to the extension wand or the hand held is motorised.

I suspect they will be around again at Lidl soon.

Thanks, everybody.  I have a list of the 5 best reviewed hand-helds and a Dirt Devil is in that list, BinB.

Truly feeling at death's door with a chest infection at the moment but, in a day or two, I will dig up my battery hoover with detachable hand-held bit and see if that works OK.  It charges overnight but does go on for 40 minutes on the charge.

Can't for the life of me think what make it is.

For the house, I have an excellent Vax cyclonic that will now no longer be sold under the new eco rules.

There seems to be a battle going on between Dyson and Shark cleaners lots on youtube.  I like the motors on Dysons but the extra front roller on the Shark seems to be a great idea. not actually hand held but detachable units almost brings it into the frame?

Hope you are feeling better soon Mint [:)]

Thanks, Teapot.  Feeling OK though throat still a bit sandpapery and first day up and about after 5 days of prostration[:)]

Found the hoover, in a corner of the sous-sol, which is an Electrolux Ergorapido and given it a good clean, washed the filter and dust box.

Costs 160 euros at Boulanger price today.  Can't remember what I paid and just hopes it works after everything's dry and I have charged it up.

Thanks to everybody with your suggestions.  It wasn't until I saw some of your pictures that I remembered I had one of these "stick" hoovers!  See, you have all helped, even though a new hand-held might not be needed this time[:)]

• 7 months later...
Have just come back to let Dept 71 know that I have today followed the link you so kindly provided and bought one similar to yours.

Delivery next week so will give an update if it will be of help.

Incidentally, I see from my previous post that last November I was at death's door[:(]  So my wretched bronchitis did last at least 9 months, just like I have told various doctors.....gggrrrr....  Bah.......all finished now, the bronchitis that is and Teapot thanks for the concern you showed at the time[:)]

My vaccum cleaner having just drowned in half a metre of flood water, I just bought a cordless combined hand-held / push-along vac from Aldi for 50€. It looks most ingenious and if it does what it says on the box, should be very versatile and useful. First impressions are that it is a tad lightweight and flimsy, but it seems to work, and time will tell.

ET, I have found that cordless appliances need to be used frequently and regularly to keep them working well.  I mean even my toothbrush doesn't like being left off charge for more than a couple of days.

As this vac is principally for car cleaning, I don't think that corresponds well to "frequently and regularly"[:$]

Well I suppose you could use it to vac the upholstery in between car cleans, but I take your point.

Though I'm now trying to remember the last time I charged my toothbrush. Must be two weeks at least because I came back from a few days away the weekend before last, and the charger is still in my travel bag . Maybe it depends on the appliance, or maybe I just don't brush my teeth often enough...

"It's obvious then, I don't clean my car often enough and you don't clean your teeth enough. What a couple of scruffs we are.....Oh well, there are swells and scruffs, takes all sorts as they say?"

LOL. The worst thing about that is, I don't clean my car enough either so guilty on both counts!