electrical appliances, a word of.....

mint

not advice exactly but here's my suggestion.

Do use these things until they literally die the death.  Do NOT even think about changing merely to get a better or later model.  Use the vacuum cleaner till it will suck no more, employ the washing machine till it no longer empties itself and so on. 

In my experience, once you change one of these things, other similar appliances in the house will get a type of retirement envy and decide to stop working.  Let me give you an example, no sooner had I decided on a new oven than the hob, hood, micro wave decided to function no more and breathe their last.

This phenomenon is ALWAYS self propagating, much like a contagious disease.  Once the rotating fan decided it has had enough, my iron suddenly stopped generating steam and started leaking water.

Now that I have replaced my centrale vapeur with a MUCH cheaper steam iron that is cordless but has no great big tank for making steam, I see my micro wave glinting with palpable envy for the newly-departed de Longhi iron.

OTOH, I really miss the old iron as the new one doesn't really match the steam-generating old leviathan.  Would I now go out and spend a bit more on another steam-generating iron?  I'd love to but I am afraid that, should I do that, all the other appliances that are out of their guarantee dates would decide en masse to stop working.

Has anyone else experienced this irritating and costly outcome?

Washing machine has been breathing its last but creaking on for months. Dishwasher gave up in sympathy and was replaced quickly. Also toaster and kettle. Now washing machine is very close to sudden death!

Interesting that OH sought to quickly replace most items as they greatly affected his day to day life however the washing machine seems not to have same priority?

YES, loiseau, lightbulbs!  How could I not have thought of those?

They must have a high degree of sympathy for each other.  Indeed, numbers of them die of grief if one of them so much as starts blinking[:-))]

Had to replace quite a few things in the last year, due to the floods, (cooker, hob, dishwasher, washing machine ... and of course, my car after the accident, but hoping it will only stay at light bulbs (so true, one goes they all go), now until next year ... bad enough to have to replace the car too, and yesterday OH's car wouldn't start - replaced after the flood too, I thought, what  now, turned out to be battery, in all this heat, relatively simple, but ... still costs!!!