buying a tablette

mint

All advice and suggestions desperately needed![8-)]  I am shopping for a tablette for my OH and I am thinking beginners' level rather than with bells and whistles as he will have to learn to use it.

So, which tablette, what make, how much (estimate) to spend, where to buy, etc etc.

Thank you in advance (I know you will come up trumps[:D])

Mint.what will he use it for? That's a fairly important question.

And how good is his eyesight, and how big might he need it to be?

Cos if size is not important, there's a lot to be said for the Kindle Fire, IMO. And it's one of the cheapest you can buy.

Oh Betty, how I hoped you'd see my post and reply......I know you are knowledgeable about these things.

Despite glaucoma, his eyesight is not bad and his hearing is excellent!  He wanted a laptop but I think a tablette, being more readily portable, would be more suitable.

He is likely to want to listen to music, google things, store photos of buildings and perhaps read newspapers.....more or less what I do on my PC.  He's held out for decades not having anything to do with "technology" but now he is beginning to see the light and I do think he could get used to a tablette pretty quickly if he puts his mind to it.

I am thinking something about 12 pouces; what do you think?  He is of the old school and so has no man bag but I doubt he would want to take it out and about much[:D]

If he needs lots of storage for photos I'd research the Fire HD 10, which is more expensive (but still only about half the price of most others) but get one with the bigger memory option, as the operating system on Kindles does take up quite a bit of memory. But I'm sure the newer Fire is much better in terms of storage space than some of the others.

Price-wise, it's about £150 versus at least £300 for most others.

An alternative worth considering if you want to opt for a "big name" tablet is to look at musicmagpie.co.uk, which sells reconditioned secondhand tablets and mobile phones. I've personally used and recommended them to friends, and when my current iPad dies, I will have no hesitation in getting my next one from them. They give you a 12 month guarantee, and I'd defy anyone to spot that a phone or tablet sold by them was anything but new. The saving, however, over buying new, is considerable.

Might be a bit trickier for you as you'd probably need someone in UK to help you buy, and/or bring it to you (they may ship to France, I have no idea).

Thanks, all your comments taken on board.

Do you mean this might be OK?

[url]https://www.amazon.fr/Fire-Pouces-Tablette-Tactile-Android/dp/B07PJSVCRX/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=kindle+fire+hd+10&qid=1562101963&s=gateway&sr=8-4[/url]

PS I have no idea what a "good" one would cost but am open to suggestions

Second Pomme's comment, its not an Amazon Fire. My wife, eldest son and myself all have Amazon Fire 10 inch model (no double sim slots!). All had to be bought in the UK and brought to France. The are fantastic value though you need to put Nova Launcher on it if you want the full range of Play Store (Google).

I have just tried to order one from Amazon.de to see if they do deliver to France and it did not appear to be a problem, Have tried ordering other things from them before and a message has come up saying that the item could not be delivered to France but this did not seem to be the case with the Fire HD10.

If you can wait until 15/16 July then it might be discounted. Those are the dates for Amazon "Prime Day" and there are usually plenty of discounts for Prime members. They'll probably give a free trial first month Prime subscription anyway. Or just sign up and cancel at the end of the first month.

Perhaps, fittersmate, it's me then. Because I'm looking at the link from the UK, possibly Amazon.de is telling me they won't deliver to MY country, whereas that message doesn't appear when the person viewing it is in France?

Only I am clearly seeing a message telling me it can't be delivered to my country.

ETA I've just tried again, and the message in German has changed from "can't be delivered to your country" to "can't be delivered to the UK mainland".. So that's clearly the explanation.

Thanks guys.  Now ordered from Amazon.de; shipping cost was under 6 euros and the tablette was a couple of euros more than advertised but I wasn't going to balk at that.

Yes, cannot order from UK but no problem with Germany. 

[quote user="pomme"]If you can wait until 15/16 July then it might be discounted. Those are the dates for Amazon "Prime Day" and there are usually plenty of discounts for Prime members. They'll probably give a free trial first month Prime subscription anyway. Or just sign up and cancel at the end of the first month.[/quote]

Ugh................unfortunately, I saw your post just after ordering and can't be bothered to faff about changing it now......sigh.....story of my life[:(]

Bit late but hope you bought one of their (Amazon) covers that goes with it. When you close the cover, it automatically put the tablet in sleep mode. Gives good protection and acts as a stand.

As an aside, we have found that when you plug the Fire 10 in to charge, it turns itself on ie even if it was completely turned off before, not in sleep mode. Anyone else have this?

Lehaut, I did buy a cover from Amazon France (rather than from Germany as there is a postage charge for that) but not an "original"; one of their cheaper ones, about 17 euros rather than 30.  I think it does the same thing but I will check.