Electric blanket

Lori

Can any of you folks recommend an electric blanket.  We had a great one in the U.S., but of course, we couldn't take it with us with the voltage difference here.

I bought one way back when when we were in France and it was just a piece of junk.  Tiny, poorly made and worked about a month.

It seems that even now, the ones I am seeing on Amazon, La Redoute, CDiscount, etc. are not much different from the one I bought years ago.  They get very mixed reviews and simply look thin and questionable.

This is just to use in winter to warm the sheets before going to sleep.  Then, it generally is set to go off automatically.

Any ideas?  Perhaps a seller out of the U.K. might have better choices?

My OH bought one from Lidl about 2 or 3 winters ago .. it's very robust and washable but doesn't cover all our double bed (suits me as I hate them) so it would heat only 2/3 to 3/4 of a standard double i.e. 140 cm wide.

You might need 2 if you have a wider bed.

Good value for money though .. and it genuinely washes ok. My OH is extremely allergic to many things so all bedding etc gets washed hot and often.

Thanks Sue.  I have had great luck with all kinds of products from Lidl.  However, since this type of thing is seasonal at Lidl and their current ad doesn't have anything like this.  I'm left to search elsewhere.  I will keep an eye on their ads though as I would imagine this type of thing will show up soon.

Thank you Fittersmate.  We are a member of Amazon Prime France, but not in the UK.  The ones I found on Amazon UK would have shipping costs added to send to France.  Then, if we needed to return them for any reason, we would incur that cost also.

So, after a bit more research, we decided on one from Amazon.fr.

I'll hope for the best..

Thanks to all.

If it were only possible Wooly.  I go to bed much earlier than husband; who often falls asleep on the sofa. 

So, I have already warmed up the sheets before he goes to sleep.  Last night the sheets were very cold when I pulled back the duvet.  Refuse to turn on the heat in September !

Thank goodness we bought a very warm duvet.  Still, I was spoiled by the electric blanket and want that luxury again.

I'm trying to resist Judith.  I have never turned on the heat in September in my life !  So, I will hold off as long as I can.

I have turned it on at the end of October, but I am always disappointed with myself for not being able to wait...

Lori, I think this is sometimes an age thing, plus if you are not well etc.  As he aged (he died at 92), my father always had his heating on, loads of pullovers, both my sister and I learnt to go in lightweight clothing when visiting.  He felt the cold.  My hubby, as he reaches towards the age at which my father began to feel the cold more, is getting to be the same.  I'll be expiring the heat in a Tee shirt and leggings and sandals, he'll be fully clothed with jumper, shoes, socks, vest and the lot!  Mind you, I WAS cold this weekend too, but I've got my own health issues at the moment too! 

Judith - yes, it really was cold this past weekend.  I think it put us in a rather poor mood as we were so hoping for one of those stellar Indian Summer Octobers.  Not looking too good for that right now.

At 18C today, it was not bad.  Some sunshine would have been nice.  But, we did manage to walk 8kms before the rain started.  It didn't rain long and is just cloudy at the moment.

We did hear the boom of the airplane that was sent out to hover the mystery airplane that entered Paris airspace just before noon.  It was a pretty loud boom !!  Broke the sound barrier.  I'm glad they had it in the headlines or I would never have known what it was.  I guess too many people were calling the emergency lines thinking it was an attack.

Electric blanket is scheduled to be delivered this afternoon.  Though it has warmed up a bit and we don't need it right now.  I do hope it will be decent enough to last at least a couple of winters.

• 2 months later...
Thank you CeeJay.  I would if I were actually going into my nearest Lidl.  It is always a crazy mad house no matter what time/day I've been there.  So, I am avoiding confined, over crowded places at the moment.  Frustratingly, each time I've been in Lidl (prior to the 2nd confinement), few people are wearing masks or even attempting to distance.  So, I'll avoid the stress.

The one we bought works pretty well.  It is a similar size as the one at Lidl.  So, if you have a large double bed, you may need two at this size.

I did end up getting one from Amazon.  Just after I started the thread.  It works pretty well.  Not nearly as nice as the one we had in the U.S. but it will do.  Like the one CeeJay noted, it is really sized to fit a single bed, but it works okay on a double.

Have you thought about good quality cotton flannelle sheets Lori, sadly some, usually the cheap ones, go into little hard bobbles with washing and are very uncomfortable very quickly.

Le Blanc sales will be on soon, maybe a good time to give some a try?

I have some lovely ones, not on our bed, but for other beds as we have had  bedrooms that were quite cold inspite of the heating being on. I still put them on these beds, even though these bedroom walls have been insulated properly and new radiators fitted and they are fine now.

And if you need it, well, an electric blanket will warm the bed, so it is a good job you have one.

Thanks Idun.  I have used flannel sheets in the past and I do remember them being warm.  I'll keep an eye out for them when the sales start.

And Mint, I go to sleep far earlier than my late night husband.  So, no warming up the bed for me - works the other way around in this house.

The radiator in our bedroom stays off most of the time.  Today it is 14 degrees in there.  I turn on the electric blanket about 20 minutes before I plan to go to sleep.  We have a really nice duvet, so it gets nice and toasty.  The electric blanket goes off automatically after 5 hours. 

Works for us.