Replacement glasses.

anotherbanana

The problem of getting them in France is getting your eyes tested by the opthalmologist. There is 6 months to one year's waiting list, depending on the region. Once you have had your eye-test, you get a prescription to take to the optician, where there is a small selection of frames that are 100% reimbursed by the Assurance Maladie, along with the lenses.

There is of course a shop-full of more expensive frames and also "extras" for the lenses (coatings, tints,...) which are only partially re-imbursed or not at all.

We normally go to Specsavers who either mail our new specs to us, or give us the prescription to take to our local optician in France. However this was not possible due to Covid, so in early September 2020 we tried to make an appointment with an Opthalmo. Most of them had recorded messages saying that they were not making appointments until 2021, but finally we found an Opthalmic centre near Reims who was able to see us in February (last week, in fact).

So back to our friendly local optician armed with our 60 Euro prescriptions and we get our new specs in a few days.

[quote user="anotherbanana"]Thank you everyone. I did try to get just the lenses replaced in the existing frames which are fine but they wanted €250 each lens. So I politely left the shop.

My prescription is fine but themlenses are badly scratched, my fault.[/quote]

I wear my specs when working, sometimes around and under cars; plastic lenses don't

last me long, so I no longer buy them. The last ones I had years ago were ruined when

sparks from an angle grinder landed on them, and an assistant once accidentally melted a hole in one pair with a soldering iron.

When I order glass lenses the usual remark is that they are heavy, but I

already know that, and it doesn't really bother me. They are also shock

proof, and withstand the occasional drop on the floor. I haven't tried

them on concrete.

We buy our specs in Spain, no appointment necessary. There is plenty of competition, so prices are reasonable - especially compared to here. Those we use, probably all, have qualified ophthalmo's, so our eyes are properly tested and this is included in the price as part of the service.

Hopefully we will soon be able to go to Spain again. My Zeiss lenses, progressive, photochromic, shock proof, and anti-reflective, cost about €225 each there.

I used THIS

outfit  in 2016 with no problems.  I just posted my glasses to them with the

prescription, and they were returned reglazed.  If you are using a

French optholmo request them to measure your pupil distance and have it

included on the prescription as it is not always standard practice here

in France.

[quote user="nomoss"]
[quote user="anotherbanana"]Thank you everyone. I did try to get just the lenses replaced in the existing frames which are fine but they wanted €250 each lens. So I politely left the shop.

My prescription is fine but themlenses are badly scratched, my fault.[/quote]

I wear my specs when working, sometimes around and under cars; plastic lenses don't

last me long, so I no longer buy them. The last ones I had years ago were ruined when

sparks from an angle grinder landed on them, and an assistant once accidentally melted a hole in one pair with a soldering iron.

When I order glass lenses the usual remark is that they are heavy, but I

already know that, and it doesn't really bother me. They are also shock

proof, and withstand the occasional drop on the floor. I haven't tried

them on concrete.

We buy our specs in Spain, no appointment necessary. There is plenty of competition, so prices are reasonable - especially compared to here. Those we use, probably all, have qualified ophthalmo's, so our eyes are properly tested and this is included in the price as part of the service.

Hopefully we will soon be able to go to Spain again. My Zeiss lenses, progressive, photochromic, shock proof, and anti-reflective, cost about €225 each there.

[/quote]

Nomoss,

Will they use a French prescription in Spain?

So so expensive for viewing glasses in France and this has always been the case. My mother came to visit us in the UK 3 or 4 years ago and I took her to Asda for a new pair. Think to remember she paid £100 for the test/frame and prescription lenses.

I had to post them to her as she had returned back home when we got the call from the very friendly assistant.

She was happy with the whole thing.