Shopping online since the Brexit trade deal

mint

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/21/britons-buying-from-eu-websites-face-more-than-100-import-duties[/url]

Didn't someone recently ask about bringing over a van load of materials to renovate his French house?

Anyway, this article is not about bringing vanloads, just some ordinary online shopping. Perhaps only buy European if you live in France and British if you live in the UK?

I have a parcel to send to my son in France and have warned him that there may be charges on it. Why didn't people realise?

Still, we did as when we lived in France, sometimes we ended up with douane charges for the goods that arrived from non EU countries. Once it was about 90€ on something that only cost around 70$ from the States.

What I will say is that IMO, I believe that if goods are being exported then no VAT from the country of origin should be charged on them. Or be able to reclaim, note to self, call the VATmanorwoman and ask!

I recently purchased a product on Amazon Uk value £99 plus £5 shipping, when I got to check out the price had dropped to £83 plus £5 shipping, customs tariff £17 so only £1 extra in total, and saved me £20 on the same product if bought in France. The Guardian has its own agenda. If it suits us and is a better value we will continue to shop online from the UK or anywhere else come to that.

I don't apologise for this being from the Daily Mail. I don't turn my nose up at information which seems to me worth noting, whatever their source.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9175275/High-Street-retailers-luxury-brands-BURNING-dumping-EU-products.html

PS not a clickable link because I don't know how to do those on Opera

As regards French customs you might find this explanation useful. Apologies if it has been posted before:

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/actualites/acheter-en-ligne-au-royaume-uni-apres-le-brexit?fbclid=IwAR0sr7u99aLYMzQ9Gsx3PZVQkXaayezge5hYEEmWl4oV-W04JenEq17z6Fs

Nimt, always though of you as a closet Mail reader!?

Looking through all the bumph about what you can and what you can't bring through the customs UK- France, We can't find any mention of tea, probably the one thing we always insist on bringing back. After all, most UK foods have comparable products in France. We have tried Tetley and Liptons which are available but, for us, they aren't a patch on our favourite M&S Gold tea, which is the marque used in M&S cafes in England. Has anybody got any idea if tea is OK to bring in?

la banane wrote

Nimt, always though of you as a closet Mail reader!

Oy there, who're you calling a closet Mail reader?  I'm an-in-the-open-air reader.  I ain't posh like what and Norman are[:P]

My favourite word from your link is "dédouané".....sounds a bit painful?

• 4 weeks later...
We’ve had a couple of orders from British Corner Shop in 2020 and it was fine. However, with the likelihood that cross-Channel movement may be off for the foreseeable, we’re thinking about another order in the next month or two.

However, orders for EU delivery are currently in abeyance - problems with carriers (documentation etc).

This isn’t Brexit related as such, but Mrs G is partial to a sherry by way of early evening apero. She’d drunk all the stock (!!!) and as most will know, sherry is virtually unobtainable in France.

Went online and found an outfit in Spain, ordered 6 bottles on Monday and they were delivered (from Madrid) yesterday lunchtime. Just 48 hours from order to delivery - pretty impressive.

That’ll keep Mrs G going for a week or so.

We have been clients of Healthspan UK for decades. They actually wrote to us to assure us that they had matters in hand. Our last ordered arrived yesterday, two weeks after placing it. No price increase, delivered from the Netherlands with appropriate customs stickers.

• 1 month later...

My first experience of purchasing from the UK since Brexit trade deal.

I'm in the process of building a '68 Fender Telecaster 'replica' guitar from scratch. This model was my first ever 'new' professional axe.

It has always been my intension to make this build as authentic as feasible and to that end, apart from parts I already possess, I have sourced original Fender bits wherever possible.

I'm now fast approaching the paint spray prep, paint spray colour and satin finish, and although I am able to source nitrocellulose guitar paint here in France it is only a 'shade of' and not the Butterscotch Blonde original color I need.

On Sunday last I placed an order with a UK company for the required products, which  because they were being shipped to the EU, would not attract UK vat.  This afternoon I was mailed by FedEx, the carrier, with the charges I was required to pay.

Import/tax charges - €13
Administration - €18

Also, included in my order was a pair of locking strap buttons.

Total cost if purchased in France -  €76 incl delivery and vat

Actual cost purchased from UK  - €87 incl delivery, Fr vat/duty and FedEx admin.

Pre Brexit the UK order would have been €87 - €31 + UK vat (€11.20) = €67.20.

The delivery is scheduled for tomorrow and I will be receiving authentic products which is what I wanted.