Scrabble

Diana

Is there a French version of Scrabble to represent the different amount of usage of letters. By this I mean in the English version there are not many 'Q's but they have a high value. Were as in the French language 'Q' is quite commom.

Also if it exists can I expect to find it in a large hypermarket, as our next visit is no more than a day trip I will be limited to shopping in a Auchan, are they likely to sell it.

Thanks

Diana

Scrabble clubs with tournaments are quite popular in France if going by reports in the local paper are true. It is available anywhere that sells good board games,although the large hypermarkets in our neck of the woods don't usually stock many toys and games until just a few weeks before xmas. Apart from that try Jou Club if they have branch nearby.

Thank you both for replying, I have searched Pages Jaunes and found a Joueclub in Cherbourg. Then checked their site and got the details of the French Scrabble. I will be able to dive straight into the shop and grab what I want without wasting any time.

By the way Val2 I don't think I would be up to a tournament in English let alone French!

Thanks again

Diana

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the French version of Scrabble at the weekend but from what I can remember the letters have the same values as in English. This does not make much sense as I can think of many more French words with a 'q' than English ones.

Oh well at least the new board is anti slip which will come in useful when the cat jumps into it and all the letters go flying.

Diana

Carrefour has the French version of Scrabble (and many other familiar board games like Trivial Pursuit and Millionaire) as part of its pre-Christmas toys and games promotion, starting later this week. Can't tell you how much though as we've already given away the catalogue that came yesterday.