Reading

Llantony

One thing I look forward to about retiring is having more time to read, I've lots of unread books just waiting. But if we go to live in France we'll use up our stock of fiction fairly fast. (I can read French but will be much slower and husband couldn't manage, also I like many current and past English language authors). What do other people do? There is a bookshop in a nearby town that has some English books, but not a huge choice, and I wouldn't want to buy them as will be on a v limited budget.

We've also used Amazon and their prices do tend to be good. We also pick up supplies when we visit the UK. Books also tend to be at the top of present lists, along with materials for other hobbies. But the best source, as someone else has said, is the charity shop/markets etc. We buy lots ourselves and ask visitors to bring some with them. We also do swaps with the couple of English friends in our area. I'm sure you'll be OK.
Regards,
Sue.

Hi

Will you really have more time to read? That is what we thought when we retired and moved to France, but it hasn't worked out quite like that, there are always so many other things to do!! My husband, especially, was an avid reader in England but has hardly read more than a couple of books since we arrived two and a half years ago.

In anticipation of a lack of reading material, however, every time we visited our library and others in the vicinity in England, we bought any books of interest which were being sold off for between 20p and 50p each. We managed to get quite a collection over the months before our departure for France so have a fairly steady supply of reading material for the time being.

However, I believe that several libraries here do stock books in English, especially in the larger towns. You may also come across groups of British people over here who do operate a 'library' system for borrowing books. There is such a group in Deux Sevres (one that I know of and there may be others) and I imagine there will be similar groups in other areas of France.

Jackie

LAST EDITED ON 01-Dec-03 AT 10:11 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON 01-Dec-03 AT 10:11AM (GMT)

I use Amazon, they have many books being sold second-hand through the 'marketplace': some sellers post to France, others I have posted here via a friend in the UK. Prices from 1p + P&P!!

If you are in NW Dordogne area, Riberac market on fridays has a large English second-hand book stall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are in 19, and the Emmaus charity stores at Brive, Cahors, and Limoges all have english books, cheap too. Lots of other interesting stuff too, a great source of fabric for patchwork and other needlework.
Aileen