Deposit for Car

John Brown

My Bank, CA Centre France,  said "its illegal to give you any details of the person that gave you the cheque, you are advised to speak to the police"  Can't I just have the address or Postcode "NO"

I'm going to ask a good neighbour, a Frenchman who speaks good english to go with me. On my own and with my luck in this I would end up getting locked up.

I'll have a record of reporting it to them so it would help if challenged by the OP after I sell it

[quote user="John Brown"]My Bank, CA Centre France,  said "its illegal to give you any details of the person that gave you the cheque, you are advised to speak to the police"  Can't I just have the address or Postcode "NO"

I'm going to ask a good neighbour, a Frenchman who speaks good english to go with me. On my own and with my luck in this I would end up getting locked up.
I'll have a record of reporting it to them so it would help if challenged by the OP after I sell it

[/quote]

Yes, the illegalities of cheques in France. A few years ago I had written a cheque to pay my  Tiscali bill. I had written all the details on the back of the cheque as to what it was for, but as it was 'my' cheque I thought that if there was a problem, I could get my hands on it. Was I mistaken, Tiscali made a bxxxs up of my account, denied that they had EVER had separate phone contracts and yet were demanding money from me for it and the internet. My bank said that IF they ever showed me my cheque, it would just be the front of the cheque and NEVER the back.  I'd been in France over 20 years then and yet I still got it wrong.

I spoke to my neighbours about this problem and were advised to get back onto the bank.

Its all about asking the right question. Can I have a photostat copy of a cheque that I paid in?

"Yes, it will be in the post tonight."

What also came out of the conversation was

Allow at least 10 working days for a cheque to clear after it lands in your account.

Don't take a cheque off anyone unless you get ID

Don't involve the police in such things.

Check your house content insurance for legal assistance cover

• 4 weeks later...
I see so many posts where there's no final response to the question.

Hopefully ! I have reached the end of this problem so I'll bring this one up to date

I sent a letter by "Recommande avec avis de reception" to the address on the cheque and have now 3 weeks later have had it returned undelivered with the necessary note attached.

The letter was approved by the Legal Team from my house content insurance company ( didn't find out about this until I asked my neighbour )

I'm told I can sell the car without reproach

Lets hope so, I might never know what happened to the buyer

Thanks to everyone that contributed

Yes thats right, Chancer

While I was waiting for the letter to be delivered I looked at the address on Google Earth and went down to street level.

It put me outside a Pizza Take Away next to a Coffe Shop / Bar so the address on the cheque was obviously wrong.

Unless he works out of one of these

If I ever get to find out who or what he was I'll post what I find out

I reckon the money has never been drawn from his account, assuming that it was a genuine account, it will have been signalled as a closed account or insufficient funds but has not been actioned by (presumably) your bank, I had heard that these things can take a ridiculous amount of time,even 2 weeks would be generous and time enough for a fraudster to do his bit.

I guess you will never know what happened to your guy but how long will it take the bank? My money is on,  never or 2 weeks after la rentrée.