Costs of French Solicitor

Mac

Can anyone advise me about the costs of using a French solicitor? Briefly-we bought our house from 2 English women in a civil partnership who were splitting up-very acrimoniously. On the day we signed the final paperwork the Notaire told us she had a letter from the Marie of the commune to say there was no drainage at the house at all. This was news to us and also to our agent! After some to-ing and fro-ing the ladies agreed to leave 2000 euros each (4000 in total) with the Notaire towards the cost of a new fosse system (half the cost or up to 4000 eu. whichever was the lowest)-so we signed. The ladies sent e-mails confirming that point to the Notaire. That was 18 months ago. Last September we had the new system fitted and got back to the Notaire to request 3000 euro in total as their part of the costs. After a lot of letters the Notaire has got an agreement to pay us 1000 euro from 1 woman and 500 from the other. They won't contact each other and everything goes through their solicitors(twice) The Notaire now says if we want to take it further we must get a solicitor to force payment as there is nothing further she can do.The question is with them both in the UK ( and not communicating with each other) is it worth going further for 1500 euro or will it cost us more than we are owed?

I don't know the answer to your question but do check your house insurance policy.  You may have protection juridique (I think that's what it's called but can't be too accurate without getting my policy out) which will possibly help you with the costs of an avocat.  Worth a look/try.

You want a French notaire to chase a debt in the UK? do you really need all that stress? for the next n years?

Been there...got the T-shirt. I suggest you take the 1500 loss up the whatsit and move on. Life's too short.

Grind your teeth, forever have a bad taste in your mouth but move on.

Sorry to be so negative but that's my pennies worth

Now the question is, did the notaire take 2000€ from each of them as they said they would? If so, where is it?

OR did they just do half a job.

If they did half a job...... well cut your losses. Still if you have anything in writing maybe you could attack them via the UK courts anyway?

The UK Small Claims Court is not intimidating and is cheap.

Both parties sit around a table with the judge at the head. Both sides state their case and the judge asks some questions and then makes a decision. If one party does not turn up then they will be found against. When you have judgement it should be pretty easy to obtain your money.

However, as has been written the Notaire was supposed to be holding 4,000 euros!

Paul

The European procedure may be more relevant

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l16028_en.htm.

As far as the Notaire holding the money, on a point of law the Notaire can only release the funds on the agreement of the party whose funds he/she is holding. If that party refuses the release of the funds then the other party has to take the matter to court. This also applies to the famous 10% deposit for house purchases as well .

Yes Notaire has been holding the funds and has tried repeatedly to get both of the previous owners to up their offers but to no avail. Even if we are covered by our French house insurance there would still be a cost due to the excess. I'm beginning to agree with HoneySuckleDreams that we should just grit our teeth and accept the offer as it is-after all it's over 9 months since we paid out the money for the new fosse. Maybe we should just take the money and spend it on a holiday!

Thanks for all the answers.