Hoping for the Best !

Miki

I know he has abused his liver and has now given his new one problems but sorry, to me, he his simply the greatest player I ever saw (and to back it up, Pele has said the same thing).

I am truly and sincerely hoping he can pull through this but it may be a terrible struggle this time and I worry (hopefully I am wrong) that so many people are now making visits to the hospital.

Come on George, you can do it pal.................

I have got a lump in my throat now, must be something I ate..............

I loved Georgie Best when I was young, what young girl didn't. Shame they didn't help him at the start of his decline with the booze like all the "experts" they line up these days for the namby pamby players when they feel a little off. His cousin works for my sister so will have to get her to find out a bit more that maybe we won't hear about in the press or the TV.

• 3 weeks later...
Bestie is now sadly back on a life support machine. The photos, released at his own request showing him to be gravely ill, are he says, a warning to others about just what alcohol abuse can do to ones health

Come on George, you get through this and I will pray for United to finish second in the Premiership. I have everything crossed, again...............

I have just raised a glass with a couple of friends both here and on the telephone back in the UK, to wish George a peaceful night.

I will repeat, I have never seen such a brilliant player, in my long career of playing and watching the beautiful game, George was without doubt the greatest of them all.

George your memory will last for ever, wherever football is played, your name will remain as THE Best,

Thank for the great memories, I personally will cherish them forever, as no doubt will millions of other soccer aficionados.........goodnight Georgie.

Yes he WAS a great player but that was 30 years ago.  Sadly though he will be remembered as much for being a drunk.

For me his memory is marred by the minute by minute reports of will he ? won't he ? He is not even allowed dignity in death, not that he is bothered of course, but then why let compassion get in the way of selling news.

John

not

Yes he WAS a great player but that was 30 years ago. 

It may have been 30 years ago, but he is still best known for his genius on the pitch; still frequently named in fantasy best world teams, and among best players etc etc.

As a young girl I was never taken to football matches (unlike my brothers). The first match I went to alone was solely to see George Best playing for Fulham against Sheffield Utd. He was way past his peak then, but the whole crowd - massively increased by his presence - was thrilled by him.

I don't know what the reporting is like, but at least he is unaware of it. His doctors have all spoken of his courage and good humour, and he is surrounded by long term friends and close family. It could have been worse, many alcoholics lose everyone close to them long before they die.

"Yes he WAS a great player but that was 30 years ago."

Your point being what exactly, that you are only as good as your last minute on the pitch and after that you are just another player ? A GREAT player is a great player is a great player and time will never diminish that George was the greatest, 30 years go or yesterday.

Just listen and watch the tributes that will pour in and see just how many will want to go to Geeorge's funeral and then ask yourself what kind of a pathetic statment you have just made.

"Sadly though he will be remembered as much for being a drunk"

Not by many millions soccer of aficianados he wont, only by sad sarcastic fools like you. He transcends jibes like that, knowing he was ill with a sickness that millions before him have suffered and not one would wish it on another, even lgiving his permission for his last photos showing him gravely ill, to be a warning to others. That no doubt, took an awful lot of courage.

"For me his memory is marred by the minute by minute reports of will he ? won't he ? He is not even allowed dignity in death, not that he is bothered of course, but then why let compassion get in the way of selling news"

What kind of idiotoic and grossly pathetic statement is that ? You will let the memory of a great player be marred by what you are seeing now. Every last breath he took was "assisted" by millions of his soccer fans, all of them, yes, including me and other friends hanging on to every press or TV update and willing him against all odds to make a miraculous recovery.

Remember the great man, not something that happened at the end and believe me, he was one of the kindest men ever in football, what you saw and knew about him was 1% of the real George. So take your nasty side swipe at the greatest of them all and leave his memory to those of us who know him to be a gentleman and the best player ...............ever.

Just watch the hundreds of reports, sit back and then fully appreciate just what George meant to the World of soccer.

The news has now come through that George Best has died. In his last lucid hours he asked that his example be used to prevent others getting onto the slippery slope of alcoholism. This seems to be the last act of a generaous and realtively normal man, certainly everyone who knew him has only good words to say for him.

I don't think, Di, that it is appropriate to be crassly (and with no evidence) cynical about him and his death, and thus to belittle it.

Send not for whom the bell tolls, etc.

He will be sadly missed.

If anyone wants 'a bit of George' to keep I found this

http://cgi.ebay.fr/photo-dedicacee-du-footballeur-GEORGE-BEST-RARE_W0QQitemZ6580990086QQcategoryZ50QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck.

I used to drink in his club in Dover Street back in the early 80's. OK he was a bit of a prat at times off the football field and later in life but what did people expect when he was given so much so young.

A friend of mine remembers seeing him with Miss World, he was going in to some club somewhere. The doorman stoped him and asked "with all this fame why didn't you do something with your life", George replied by saying something along the lines of "I've got more money in my back pocket than you earn in a year, I have Miss world hanging on my arm and own 3 houses in the UK and abroad, what else should I do?"

Even today when you look at the film footage of this man play I doubt if there is any player anywhere in the world that can come near him, he danced with the ball, he was brilliant. This is from a man who can't stand football and think balls should be oval and not round.

Lets not squabble about this mans mistakes, we all make them, lets just remember what he was like on the pitch, magic.

Miki - I think you may have mis interpreted

"For me his memory is marred by the minute by minute reports of will he ? won't he ? He is not even allowed dignity in death, not that he is bothered of course, but then why let compassion get in the way of selling news"

I read it as meaning that the media are in a frenzy about will he survive or not and that they are not showing respect or compassion towards him or his family at the moment, they are just interested in selling papers. As you rightly said he was brave man admitting to his problem and allowing himself to be used to show the ravaging effects of drinking to others. I would like to think that after his football this will be another legacy in the form of a deterrent to these sad people that he will leave behind. Touch of don't do as I do but do as I say or else look at what happens.

Bless you George and may your god go with you.

Miki - GB was a great football player who was also an alcoholic. You may not like it but both statements are true. Yes the tributes will pour in, mostly from those who never saw him play but the death of someone famous tends to attract posthumous adulation.

For me his end was marred etc - maybe not for you or everyone else on this planet. (I think it was) his father who asked the press politely to go away and leave us to grieve - but I doubt whether he will get his wish.

Until you take over from God Miki I reserve the right to have an opinion with which you disagree though that does necessarily mean that I am wrong.

John

not

I feel rather sad about the tone of where this thread is going.

Can we put the drinking thing a side and agree on something?

George Best was the finest footballer of his time and possibly the best the world has ever seen and like any iconic person it is a shame that he has died for whatever reason.

Let us allow his family and his fans to grieve in peace.

"Miki - GB was a great football player who was also an alcoholic. You may not like it but both statements are true. Yes the tributes will pour in, mostly from those who never saw him play but the death of someone famous tends to attract posthumous adulation"

Creep, this is not posthumous adulation but yours are more the rantings of some green eyed idiot who will never know just how brilliant George Best actually was. Have no fear, the tribulations WILL come from many millions whom DID SEE George play and not out of your crass jibe about attracting posthumous adulation. Listen to the players and folks who knew him well, this is coming from the heart and not because George was famous.

"...For me his end was marred etc - maybe not for you or everyone else on this planet. (I think it was) his father who asked the press politely to go away and leave us to grieve - but I doubt whether he will get his wish"

I repeat, to feel it marred it all for you, is to not know the man that is George Best.

"....Until you take over from God Miki I reserve the right to have an opinion with which you disagree though that does necessarily mean that I am wrong"

Whenever there is a thread on the forum for you to act like a pratt, out you come. All that childish spiel about God, what a pathetic time to come out with such a statement.

No Chris, I never misunderstood, read John (not Di's) post, he was more concerned about Georges drinking than the man himself. Then read his last post.

I and millions of soccer orientated people, personally couldn't give a monkeys about what non soccer aficiandos will think about how he died, only that the greatest ever player is now not with us. Millions around the world suffer from this most awful illness and will die from it, it is just that George has such a high profile that he can be derided for it and that is "sick".

Why don't you give this thread a miss and find another one to act so pompous on John. We all know what his dear Father said and, as we are on a forum, we will not be causing him or his family and friends any grief. I have been in touch today with someone, who not only knew George but indeed played with George and he said he would be overwhelmed with it all. And on TV fellow players ALL have said how absolutely chuffed George would be to see so many folks paying such high tribute to him. He would have been very saddened indeed if the press, TV and others had not been there from the start, that is George and how he would have wanted it.....................

A sad day for all fans of football, and also for some of us who don't particularly follow football but recognise a genius when they see one.

I am glad to say that the OH and I paid our 'respects' to him a few years ago before his illness.  My OH had read in one of the comics passing as a newspaper that GB regularly drank in a particular pub in Fulham.  Not usually one for following famous people, OH decided that we would go into London and see if we could find the man himself.  After trawling through numerous pubs in Fulham, and then down the Kings Road, we finally tracked him to a pub off of the Kings Road (slightly worse for wear admittedly, thats us not Georgie).  I am pleased to say we didn't actually bother him, but it was a privilege just to be in the same room as him. 

I do feel that he perhaps might have fared better had he received the advice etc that today's footballers do and hope he will be remembered as the best footballer ever.

Consequently, I read an excellent tribute to GB written by Oliver Holt in todays Mirror, apparently GB carried a Donor Card and the only reason his organ's couldn't be used would be if HIV or CJD were detected, so there isn't any reason why his liver couldn't be donated once again.

Lou (Aveyron),

Well this is an open forum and we all have are own opinions , so with that in mind hear is mine .

Yes A long time ago he was good .

But then he became what he died as

A DRUNKEN WIFE BEATER WHO WAS GIVEN A SECOUND SHOT AT LIFE

AND THEN THREW THAT AWAY .

Shame they did not give that chance to someone who would have used it and

not abused it .

It sure is Mark and so I will reply to you.

Are you without any fault or sin ? In so much you can simply write a post that implies you are without fault but feel you know enough about a recently departed genius who brought sheer joy to millions to quote in capital letters about him being a wife beater. That is sad and nothing short of sheer malice.

He was also beaten himself at times, due certainly in no doubt to his mental and physical state. There are many books on alcoholism, I suggest you and other doubters read a few and see just how badly this tragic illness affects people.

"Yes A long time ago he was good"

How gracious, always the nice bit first befoe the poison dart flies in.

He never died as a woman beater, that has to be the sickest post for a long time, he was and will not be the first person to be unable to take a second chance. If he could have, he would have taken the chance but in the end, it was alcoholism that beat him.

Is that a good enough reason to belittle the man, who today is seen as important enough to have ALL matches witness a minutes silence and we will also many more moving tributes to the greatest player ever to play the beautiful game.

Like it or not and have no fear, those closest to him including ex-wives, speak of him only as one of lifes true gentlemen. Now look at yourself and ask who will say that of you in your latter years. I know, I personally will be a few million short of his total of felicitations........

Thank you Miki for answering Mark24 better than I could have done.

I was not going to post here but I have just been watching the tributes for George on sky sports and have been moved to tears by the scenes at English football grounds where fans have been giving one minutes silence for the great man (total silence)

Thank you George rest in peace.

I smoke, drink, take drugs and ride motorcycles at ridiculous speeds, but I don’t recall this post being about me !

I worked for free, for nearly four years 10 hours a week in the evenings for and oxford based AA group, then for nearly 2 years with a drug & drink rehab group in oxford.

My father used all the same excuses as (best), but it was not right for the authorities so they dealt with him. I have listened to all the excuses that so many people with so many problems can think of coming up with so if you really wont to get into The pros &cons of alcoholism then PM me.

Yes at times he was the perfect gentleman but that’s no excuse for the times when he just gave up like the weak man he was and blamed it all on the drink.

As a player his game was faultless but as an ambassador for his sport to the millions who loved & followed him he set such a perfect example for all there kids (he failed big time).

Sheer malice I think not

[quote]mark24 As a newbie you are forgiven just this once - how DARE you not be in total agreement with Miki. Go and stand in the corner. John not[/quote]

Grow up you imbecile, Mark has full right to an opinion just as much as I do.

What you do, all too often do on this forum is offer totally ridiculous snide comments. You really do appear to have some kind of immovable chip on your shoulder, which should be removed pretty smart before your whole life becomes one of simply detesting all about you.

As I said, do go away and find some other thread to annoy because you have simply come on to deride a great man and for what ? just to make a post..........creep !

"...I smoke, drink, take drugs and ride motorcycles at ridiculous speeds, but I don’t recall this post being about me !"

What ? let it pass through the system then and then post with a little more sense.

What has all the rest of your post to do with what we are saying about George Best ?

It is more an egoistic post about "look how much one has done for free to the poor unfortunates" I too have known a few unfortunates and no, I have no need to PM you, we as a family have been there and seen it a bit to close at home thanks. We had this disease hit home and pretty close as well but my sympathy was there and still remains, not my anger or hate.

Oh how awful, George was a weak man....how terrible, we must mock him as Mark has seen it all and knows all about Besty, if only by seeing him through judging others. One thing for sure, none of them come close to the massive pressures put severely upon George since the age of 17.

I detest the way volunteers one minute claim to care and the next minute deride the very people they say they have given up time for. Why bother in the first place for goodness sake, if all must be judged by their weaknesses. Just slap a label on them all as weak pathetic drunks and write them off, there you go, no need for helpers

"As a player his game was faultless but as an ambassador for his sport to the millions who loved & followed him he set such a perfect example for all there kids (he failed big time".

He failed !! How out of touch with him are you for goodness sake ? Now you do show your stupidity, over many years, the man has had thousands and thousands of kids dream solely of being George Best.

Yesterday, José Mourinho said, that in ten years time his own kids will still be watching videos of the the greatest player and you crassly say he has failed them..........

The only way George will be seen like that is if people like you go and out and deride him but have no fear, those that love George as the Worlds greatest player, will not be swayed in to thinking like you, simply because in your words he was a weak man, to millions of us he lost out to alcohol and that could happen at anytime to anyone's parents or kids.

There but for the grace of God eh.................

Hi

one has to be very careful if one bases an opinion on one, highly publicised, individual. Here is the story of another example which will never be publicised :

My father in law was a vigneron, and in the 50's & 60's started to improve yields by using newly developed fertilisers. No Bio political movement at that time ! No one had thought of dangers or wearing masks. Since that time around 7 vignerons from his village of 400 have had severe kidney problems. Only 2 are still alive.

After some years on ever more frequent dialysis, he had a transplant at the age of 50. Prior to that, he smoked and liked a drink. Not in the Best league, but he had eau de vie with his breakfast coffee and white wine with the croissants.

After recovering from the transplant, he reorganised his life. He still drinks wine - maybe half a glass - in the evenings. No smoking. Virtually no salt, and a low fat diet.

After 14 years, he raised a very worrying question with the specialist at his major, annual, appointment - "when I had the transplant, you gave it 10 years - now at 14 years, what is the prognosis ?"

The response was "Well, anti rejection medecines have improved, doses are smaller, and after 14 years there is no chance of rejection. It is your kidney now. I cannot say your life expectancy is the same as it would have been without the transplant. But, you are just as likely to die from some other cause. And, if you hadn't had the transplant, you wouldn't be here now."

He is now 70. He has been registered disabled for the last 25 years. In the last 15 years he has built 3 houses from scratch, and holidayed in Guadeloupe, etc.

Should he have had the transplant ?

Peter