EDF permit

Paul

Hello

Not sure if this is the right section to post in. EDF have decided to place a new substation  about 35 meters away from our house and then also place a concrete pilon directly in front of our house across the road which is only 7 meters wide., so as you can imagine very close and not nice to look at.

My question is: are they allowed to do that with out even telling us there plans and if we would mind that our view from our property will be altered, should we have been told via the local Marie and had the chance to see if the substation could of have been placed  somewhere that was hidden from view.

Look forward to any help on this matter

Regards

Paul

When getting a devis this year from ERDF (who do all the work on the distribution system) for a new line to our remise, which is across the street from our house, I was told that all new installations must have underground connections. I had expected them to simply run an overhead cable about 15 metres from the nearest pole, as all the other connections in the village are made.

This is despite our village having all the existing lines above ground, meaning that I would have had to pay for a cable in steel ducting run down the nearest pole and a trench across the street, under a 1m thick wall, and across the tiled courtyard to the building itself.

The cost was so high that we abandoned the project.

I am surprised that ERDF can install a new concrete pylon for new overhead cables opposite your house. Maybe you can challenge this in respect of the new regulations, which surely ought to apply everywhere in France.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply, what has actaully happened is that they are replacing an exsisting larger and taller sub station that was hidden behind trees, now they have built a smaller sub station which is in total view.

The pilon they have put up is again replacing an old smaller one which again was hidden, but now this pilon is taller, bigger in width and not hidden.

The road in front of me is a small single road which comes of the main Route on which they have burried all the cables.

Regards

Paul

[quote user="andyh4"]I think there will be different voltages involved Nomoss.  Yours would be 230/400V whereas I suspect that Paul's is an 11kV (maybe more) feed to the substation[/quote]

I realise that, but I understand that all new cables have to be underground. Maybe they can get around that when replacing existing cables, but all the new wind generators around here seem to have underground distribution cables.

Hi

One of the cheifs from EDF was outside, so have been speaking to him. Seems that the substation is where it is for easy access, I asked about if it was possible to place a wooden frame with a roof  around it as they have done on some others ( i live in the alps) its down to the commune, though the commune have told me its down to EDF. When asked why did you not place the cables undergroud, he rubbed his fingers and said we dont have the money to.

Will the cables ever get burried he said yes but when he has no idea, it all seems to be about money and the lack of it.

I just thought at least they would of told us of the plans before actaully doing the work.

Regards

Paul

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="andyh4"]I think there will be different voltages involved Nomoss.  Yours would be 230/400V whereas I suspect that Paul's is an 11kV (maybe more) feed to the substation[/quote]

I realise that, but I understand that all new cables have to be underground. Maybe they can get around that when replacing existing cables, but all the new wind generators around here seem to have underground distribution cables.

[/quote]

My understanding is that cables for 'new build' has to go underground.

In my hamlet there is an old barn next to a new build house - all the house cables are underground, the barn had electricity connected to it a few months ago overground (although the new owner does work for EDF[6])

Confusing no? [8-)]

My remise is far from a new build, it's probably about 200 years old. I was told by the contractor preparing the devis for ERDF that the rules applied to any new connection.

The "devis" turns out to be a "forfait" for a simple connection, at least as far as a minimum charge is concerned.

I think the fact that the owner works for EDF is the most probable reason the old barn was connected overground.

They will do as they please the EDF, they always do.

Just be pleased that they didn't want the first meter of your land. Unless things have changed, that first meter should be  by law, available without the authorities having to fuss too much, for many things..... widening roads, digging up for utilities etc.

[quote user="idun"]

They will do as they please the EDF, they always do.

Just be pleased that they didn't want the first meter of your land. Unless things have changed, that first meter should be  by law, available without the authorities having to fuss too much, for many things..... widening roads, digging up for utilities etc.

[/quote]

And a few years later they'll have another metre if they want it [:D]

EDF took out section of my well established hedge ( which may well have gone over the boundary) to install a new concrete pylon for a new lotissement.

6-8 weeks later they removed more hedge to rip out the original pylon after transferring the wires.

They didn't ask, they just did.

And it looks like the wires for the new houses will underground their end and overhead at mine.

Which just enforces me feelings about the EDF.

Shortly after I got back to England, a salesman stopped me in my local High Street and asked if I would like to change to the EDF. I said I'd just got rid of them after 25 years and no, never again, even if they were the cheapest on the market!  I'm sure he didn't believe me[:-))]