Help!! - Electrical query for 'musicians'

ali-cat

Hi all.  Ali-cat's other half here.

The inverted comma 'musician' refers to me. [Www]

I've brought over my small collection of electric guitars and amps and one of the first things I aim to do when we move into our new house is plug in and play (that'll please the new neighbours!).

One of my amps is a 40 watt valve, which I know runs at very high voltages and I tend not to poke around inside it with a screwdriver if I can help it.  My question is - are there likely to be any problems using a UK valve amp in France - either plugging in through an adapter or rewiring to a 2 pin plug?  I had been using the amp (through a power attenuator) plugged into an adapter plug in the gite we are currently renting until sparks started shooting out!   It may be coincidence as the socket sits almost directly under a leak from the bathroom above.  Also if switching to a two pin - do the house electrics need to fitted with trip switches. The house was renovated 15 or so years ago and the surveyor reported that the wiring was a mixture of old and new.

Very grateful for any advice.

PS - Ali's not worried.  I'm well insured. [:D]

Hi Mr Wobbly!

My OH is out all day rehearsing but I will pick his brains when he gets home and let you know this evening - if no-one else can help before.

I can't see why there should be a problem - maybe the gite you're in has old or faulty electrics.  I say this 'cos' Ali was describing the old telephone sockets on a different thread the other day.

Play air guitar until you know for definate[:D]

You shouldn't be using two pin sockets for anything other than lighting. In an ideal world you would probably get rid of all the two pin sockets anyway.

Firstly two pin  means no earth!

Secondly it probably means light-weight cable which will overheat if you plug in anything which needs a lot of power.

Thirdly Its probably old and leading back to an inadequate fuse board.

Hello Ali-cat's other half

My other half has a Laney LC30 watt valve amp along with loads of other pedals, RFX2000 and heaven only knows what else, he says he never has any electrical problems. 

I hope you enjoy serenading your neighbours!  If they're anything like ours they'll probably turn up at the gate for a sing-song - I kid you not!

What bjsliv says is right, but in practical terms there should be no problems connecting a 30W amp to any French supply, I have managed fine with a Marshall bass amp, not a valve one but that won't affect the power consumption too much. If the earth is not connected, just make sure you are careful about touching any metal bits. If you use metal jack plugs that could be dangerous. Earths are often dodgy in French houses anyway, particularly if the wiring is old. If you had problems then it was probably something about the socket, particularly if damp is around - try another socket.

You must have an earth connection. Even if it means connecting an earth cable to the exterior of the amp. This will ensure that if anything comes adrift inside the amp that may be dangerous to you. Then the earth lead will ensure the fuse or breaker trips.

In terms of power consumption. A 40watt amp consumes as much power as a 40 to 60watt light bulb. You are right about the high voltages inside. Probably around 600volts DC and very bad for your cardiac system.

Many thanks for all the replies folks,  even if they're not very re assuring.

Unfortunately I may have caused some confusion. When I asked about replacing UK plugs with 2 pin plugs I meant the two male pin one female (the earth?) ones which come as standard with French appliances - not the two male pin only plugs on smaller appliances such as lights.  Hope this makes a difference. 

Yes, the female bit is the earth. Still be careful with old French wiring systems though, they may have three pins ( or two pins and a socket) but that doesn't always mean they have a working earth. Newer ones should be OK. Yes, I know its 'illegal' but that doesn't mean it isn't true.