Any Lens Supporters who can answer a question

JJ

I am a keen FC Bordeaux supporter (live nearby) but I am trying to find out why Lens have a Union Jack flag on some of there supporters team flags? The flag was at Bordeaux last night 29th April.

Anybody ot there know the answer?

JJ,

I was also there last night but didn't notice the Union Jack on the flags. I have to admit that i wouldn't fancy their journey home. We passed a couple of coaches near Saintes at about 10.00pm and i reckon they would have had a further 8 hours to travel.

It was my first time last night (a birthday treat for my son) but i'll be going again.

I asked a Lens fan today at a pic-nic, at first he looked peturbed and I think a little embarrassed, he said that as a lot of the fans are really passionate if not fanatical they compare themselves to the fans of a British club and hence the Union Jack, or at least he thought that was the reason but wanted me to know that they were in the minority of R.C.L. fans.

When I asked him if he would describe these fans as hooligans he said yes sheepishly.

I sincerely hope that this is not in fact the right answer.

I used to go to a lovely bar on the river run by a R.C.L. fan, they certainly were very passionate and vocal but definitely not violent, I might just go there soon and ask the question.

JR

Thanks for that, I did not see or here of any trouble at the game v Bordeaux I was at on Sunday.

The away end was full of Lens fans as well. (9 hour drive)

I am looking forward to the answer.

A French person I know thought it was to do with their part in the Champions League/UEFA Cup a couple of years ago, when they played a UK club.