Starting an Association

Suninfrance

A group of friends meet every week, just to sew, knit, chat, etc and we want to start an Association.

Has anyone else done anything similar and how did you go about it?  Our main stumbling block at the moment is that we have been told we need a venue which we have, but have been told by the Mairie's office that we can't use it without insurance, but also that we can't use the address just to become an Association.  We have insurance in place and the Mairie have said we can use the local hall, but they will not allow us to use the address.  Are they just being difficult or are we missing something here?

We got documentation from the local sous-prefecture, filled it in according to the guide book, took it back and were told it was rubbish and all the paperwork was thrown in the bin.  So we are not sure what we did wrong, or where we go from here.

Any advice gratefully received.

Jan

yes I have helped to start up two. It's a bit confusing but you need to have a President, a Secretary and a Treasurer at the start, and to decide where is your siege social (registered office). In most cases it will be the President or Secretary's home address.

You can download some information from

http://www.associations.gouv.fr/1008-le-kit-gratuit-pour-votre.html

but you need to prepare the Statuts of the club - if you email me I can send you what we used, just change the 'object of the association' and the personal details. This together with ID of the nominated officers is taken to your Prefecture - I think there's a small charge but a personal cheque will do fine. Once this is published in the official journal you get a certificate and with this you can get insurance (MAAF are good for this). But email me, I'll be happy to advise you as you go along. Good luck with your association.

We've done something similar, a brass band in our case, but found that it was easiest to become a sub-section of the local Foyer Civil, that way we don't need to be officially registered but can elect a committee, president, treasurer etc for our own administration but we report to the main Foyer committee with accounts and annual report. It has the advantage in our case of being able to use the salle de fetes as a meeting/rehearsal place. In return we pay an annual subscription be members of the Foyer, and we do a number of unpaid performances for the village.

We're in our fourth year of this arrangement and it has worked very well.

EDIT: The membership of the Foyer Civil (or Foyer Rural, depending on what you have there) is that insurance is included.

I suggest that you ask about this first, unless you really want to jump through all the hoops to form your own association.

Similarly to Sid's idea, we're part of Familles Rurales, which runs various activities in the village - relaxation, english conversation, gym, drawing, club de jeudi..............you do have to be a member of FR (22€ per household per year, fixed nationally) and after that it's 11€ per person per activity per year (fixed by the village association to cover cost of materials etc). We are registered at the mairie, as are all the village associations like the football club, comité des fêtes etc, so it sounds like your mairie is being obstructive. FR also has other things available like an advisory service in the departmental offices.

Good luck with your activity whichever way you decide to go.

FairyNuff  [:D]