Flying Lessons

Stocky

It is many years since I flew in a light aircraft, ranging from Austers to Tiger Moths, my first flight was a Chipmonk at Croydon airport.  I now have the idea that I would like to learn to Fly.

Living in South West Orne I was wondering if there were any English Speaking flying school in the area. 

When I was in the R.A.F at Lyneham I once jumped out of a Comet 2, BUT there was a good reason! The 'Vernon' petrol electric ground power unit had just caught fire and it was stood right by the nose of the aircraft.

Apart from that I have never managed to catch up with the mentalaty of anyone who gets out of a perfectly servicable at any other time than when it is stationary on the ground!!![:'(][:-))]

Looking back on that jump it was about 14 feet onto concrete. I don't think I would contemplate it now [;-)]!

I did the same course at WoG but ended up with my leg in plaster!

There is an English spesking flying school near Limoges for group A flying, and microlight clubs all over the country that theach to the Uk sylabus. If you don't want to spend a fortune then a French microlight license is much cheaper and some of the fixed wing microlights have cruise speeds of well over 220kmh.

Send me a PM if I can help.

[quote user="Stocky"]

It is many years since I flew in a light aircraft, ranging from Austers to Tiger Moths, my first flight was a Chipmonk at Croydon airport.  I now have the idea that I would like to learn to Fly.

Living in South West Orne I was wondering if there were any English Speaking flying school in the area. 

[/quote]

Stocky.  Just found this website.  You may already know about it as someone posted the address but not the link:

http://www.francoflyers.org/

• 2 weeks later...

I would not worry to much about the language.  My French is pretty poor and when I learnt

(gliders) all the instructors refused to speak any English (although I

subsequently discovered one did speak quite good English, they always made me

speak/struggle with my French).  When I

started they explained that the control tower would understand “Mayday”

(implying that they would all have a good laugh when I tried that).

People teaching/learning will generally be keen and

enthusiastic and thus will make the effort to understand/be understood which is

90% of the battle.  If I can manage with

my poor French then I expect most people can.

Ian

Thank you for those who gave positive responses, I went to a local tourist office and they had information on all Airports where there were flying schools.  A local one had an e-mail address and I am to meet an instructor on Saturday.  So far so good.  Have noticed that to fly solo there is an exam, if I get that far, hope I can take it in English.

Glad that you have found what you want. If you need to find local airfields in France a good place to start is www.nav2000.com and click on research airfields on the map. This shows all airfields, including air photos and contact information.

I gave up flying group A aircraft due to the cost. If I wanted to get back into fast touring then I would consider some of the fixed wing microlights available these days. Some are capable of a cruise speed of 250 kmh, but only cost a fraction of group a to run.

• 1 month later...

For English flying instruction in France ( Limoges) see www.nearlyheaven.com and www.francoflyers.org

I hope that this helps you.

posted by Sue Burgess of Nearly Heaven

I was under the impression that advertising was prohibited on the forum??

Advertising is not allowed on the forum, but I'll tell

you what Mr DJTx, if any of our posters would like details of your

upcoming events, they can email or PM you and ask that you keep them

posted, personally and off-forum.

Go figure, double standards eh???

If you want to a SEP JAR licence why not try NASA at Limoges, cheaper than all the other clubs, annual subscription lower, aircraft immaculate, English speaking instructors and you pay 'NOTHING' per hour for an instructor!!! BEAT THAT

Link below....

http://www.aeroclub-nasa.fr/

Just happen to be a very happy pilot using these guys, although where were you before when Nearly-Heaven were advertising on here?

Post edited by a mod

If you have a comment or complaint regarding advertising you should use the Report button (bottom right of all posts) as stated in the Code of Conduct :

Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.