How does one find out a classification of lake or Etang?

Where does one approach to find a classification ( for fishing  ) of ones own lake.  We purchased our etang 7 hectares, some 12 years ago and a local company was already renting it from the then owners together with a building.  The  contract was built into our purchase details and we continued the let. After a short time ( for private reasons ) we had to terminate the contract.  Since then we have been selling our own private fishing cards to locals and also including the cost to fish in with our charges for the Gites we let out.  We were informed in the early days that the lake had been formed before the date of 1829 and without taking to much interest in the reason for this information discovered that it gives a rating of " casseni plan" which does not fall into any restricted classifications other then the movement of the water and polution.

We now need to sell the property but don't know where to obtain an authorisation giving details of the classification.  As there is no mention in our purchase details.  We have never had any authority questioning our use of our lake and they were involved some 6 years ago when the then renting company wanted some of their fish back and partly lowered the lake.

Regrads Les Favets

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Dont know if this will help but we have a lake which we are setting up as a fishing business and we were told we needed a licence which we duly searched out and found how and where to get one.we live in 72 near la ferte bernard so not sure where you would write to but the people to go to are the Departemental de lAgriculture et de la foret ours in le mans,theese are the people that issue any licence you might need.The other option is to contact the local gard de peche for your area,they were very helpful,but be careful as they can be a bit over official and have a lot of clout it will also depends what classification your lake is.Ours is not river or stream fed it fills fron underground streams so there is no outlets in it so is called a "closed lake"by the gard de peche so we did not need a licence.

Hope this helps and if i can answer any other concerns please just contact me.

john

Contact details removed by a moderator. Please use the PM or email buttons to contact the poster.

• 2 weeks later...
If your lake is as old as you believe then it will fall outside the usual categories as it is listed as pre napolionic and enjoys a little more independance than a newer lake. If the lake is stream fed then you may have to put grills in place to prevent movement of fish/fry into waterways but your best bet is contact the DDE who will give you your classification. Avoid the Guarde de Peche as they are responsible for enforcing the edicts of the DDE and do not lay down the classifications themselves.

Thank you Jehe,  Yes it is as old as I indicated , here before 1750 ,see:  http://genealogie.orange.fr When it come up go down the left column to " Cartes de France 1750 "  put in Ars les Favets and up come our " etang "  This web-site might be of interest to other readers to see their local areas.  Another question please:  Where did you learn the information you gave?  Is there a site which one is able to view same?

Regards Royston

No website that I know of with the info but as a lake and fishery owner who has been through the various stages of setting up a business I had to learn as I went. These days I have many contacts and help others set up fisheries where I can especially things like water tests, netting and fish stocking. Its a real minefield for the unwary but so long as you work within the rules and have a little knowledge it can be quite straight forward.

Good luck.