Things to do with my 15yo daughter over winter

Hi all,

Counting down the days until my daughter arrives for winter holidays and I'm trying to think of things we can do with her and places that we can take her to ensure that she has a great holiday.

Does anyone have any suggestions of somethings to do or see in France that would appeal to a 15yo?

Things already done

- Paris (all the main tourist sites)

- Skiing at French alps

- French chateaux

As my own inclinations are towards places of historical significance, I am struggling to get into the mind of a teenager and plan things that she would enjoy doing.  The only help I get from her is "Surprise Me".

Lynda

I suppose it depends on what her interests are.  Is she interested in History?  How did she seem to feel when visiting chateaux?  It depends on where you are and how far you are prepared to travel.  Then you have the problem of whether places will actually be open - even in March we were limited in the Loire Valley.  There are some lovely places in Provence if she is interested in history.  Vaison La Romaine and Glanum are supurb for those interested in Romans - or to gain an interest in Romans - the theatre at Orange too.  Aix is a lovely town and at Christmas, looking at Santons could be appropriate - my husband gave me a lovely Maryse di Landro dressed Santon for my wedding anniversary, to go with the one I already had.  Les Baux de Provence is also an interesting place and there are various castles in the area too.  The Bories at Gordes and Gordes itself is pretty to visit.  But in winter it may not be as pleasant. 

The Dordogne is one of the most fascinating areas, there is so much to see and do there.  Places like La Roque St Christophe is interesting for pre-historic cave dwellings and Lascaux II and other places for cave paintings.

My children found these places very interesting during summer holidays when they were children and still do at 17 and 20.  But I teach a lot of teenage girls who would hate to visit places like that.  There are plenty more Chateaux in France, so if she likes Chateaux, pick a different region.

You could go to Alsace and discover the pretty fairy tale villages and go to the Christmas Fairs there.  I believe they have a pretty big Christmas market in Kaysersberg.  I love the wooden Christmas decorations they have in shops all year round in Alsace.  If in that area, you can easily pop over to Europapark in Rust, Germany, if it is open at that time of year.

I hope you find something she likes.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for your fantastic suggestions.  I would never have thought about concerts and I think that she would love that, especially as she lives in a rural area of Australia where she would never see a concert.  I think that she would also enjoy going to some caves and I think there is caves only an hour or two from my home.  I will also look for some towns that have Christmas activities.

I feel much more confident about making her holidays something special, and thank you all.  Preparing for her visit also helps me to deal with the wait until she arrives.

Lynda