Well Done Lewis!

Rob Roy

Seeing the looks on Ferrari's faces was absolutely hilarious. For 20 seconds they thought they had it, and then when they realised Lewis had taken Glock to take 5th, absolutely priceless. Best race I've ever seen.

Justice has been done and it's about time an Englishman had some luck when it really counted.

Well done Lewis.

[quote]Seeing the looks on Ferrari's faces was absolutely hilarious. For 20 seconds they thought they had it, and then when they realised Lewis had taken Glock to take 5th, absolutely priceless. Best race I've ever seen.

Justice has been done and it's about time an Englishman had some luck when it really counted.

Well done Lewis.[/quote]

Dont some posts just kill off a decent thread. What kind of numbnut finds the passion and pain on the Ferrari's teams faces hilarious? Any normal human being's heart went out to Massa and his crew. Then we have a silly wee, near xenophobic, rant about Englishmen and luck. For dear sake catch yourself on.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on his championship. Ultimately deserved I believe.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

[quote]Seeing the looks on Ferrari's faces was absolutely hilarious. For 20 seconds they thought they had it, and then when they realised Lewis had taken Glock to take 5th, absolutely priceless. Best race I've ever seen.

Well done Lewis.[/quote]

Dont some posts just kill off a decent thread. What kind of numbnut finds the passion and pain on the Ferrari's teams faces hilarious? Any normal human being's heart went out to Massa and his crew. Then we have a silly wee, near xenophobic, rant about Englishmen and luck. For dear sake catch yourself on.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on his championship. Ultimately deserved I believe.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Mr Massa had discharged himself from hospital to be there to see his son win - he still had tubes attached.

[/quote]

I agree with you, its yet another  reflection of todays society I'm afraid. Massa drove a superb race.

To laugh at the Ferrari pits dismay at the result is pretty sad really.

As regards the result, well people should remember the politics involved in F1, you only have to look back on this season to see Ecclestone & the Perverts shenanigans that bring into question the whole F1 scene, big money I suppose.

We ended up with a perfect result for F1, Ferrari win on Massas home ground, Lewis ending up World Champion. You couldn't write a better script. Was Glock told to back off, was it a 'wrong tyre' thing, or was he simply helping out a friend, well the jurys still out on that one.

I'm not having a go at Hamilton by the way, he's a superb racer and fully deserving of the championship. His performance in that race, though, was not his finest hour.

I completely agree with the comments about the Ferrari garage mechanics. Having watched them celebrate & cheer every time a McLaren or some other competitor's car broke down or crash I was glad to see them taken down a peg or two. I feel sorry or Massa, his family & the Brazilian fans – but as for the Ferrari mechanics ... no sympathy what-so-ever.  It made a perfect finish to an incredible race.

Well done Lewis.[/quote]

[/quote]

Xenophobic??? How many times have you seen an Englishman or team getting to the finals of a major tournament, only to lack that little bit of luck when it was needed? 1990 world cup semi final against Germany and 1996 Euro cup semi against the same team. Tim Henman throughout his Wimbledon career. The England rugby team last September with the try that never was. The list goes on and on. I think England has had some rotten luck when it really counts regarding sport. Finally, some goes an Englishman's way and I'm accused of nearly being xenophobic! Ridiculous.

As for the Ferrari team, they seemed to have FIA on their side for many decisions, especially regarding Hamilton's penalty points this season many of which were not deserved, and only helped to serve Ferrari's cause. Technically Hamilton rightly should have had this championship sewn up by Sundays race!

R.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

Well done Lewis.[/quote]

[/quote]

Xenophobic??? How many times have you seen an Englishman or team getting to the finals of a major tournament, only to lack that little bit of luck when it was needed? 1990 world cup final against Germany and 1996 Euro cup semi against the same team. Tim Henman throughout his Wimbledon career. The England rugby team last September with the try that never was. The list goes on and on. I think England has had some rotten luck when it really counts regarding sport. Finally, some goes an Englishman's way and I'm accused of nearly being xenophobic! Ridiculous.

As for the Ferrari team, they seemed to have FIA on their side for many decisions, especially regarding Hamilton's penalty points this season many of which were not deserved, and only helped to serve Ferrari's cause. Technically Hamilton rightly should have had this championship sewn up by Sundays race!

R.
[/quote]

Seeing the looks on Maclarens faces was absolutely hilarious. For 20 seconds they thought they had lost it, and then when they realised Lewis had taken Glock to take 5th, absolutely priceless. Best race I've ever seen.

Well done Lewis.

Ah - I see - near xenophobia bundled together with a touch of paranoia.

[quote]As for the Ferrari team, they seemed to have FIA on their side for many decisions, especially regarding Hamilton's penalty points this season [/quote]

For dear sake Richard - behave yourself. But you get better with

[quote]1990 world cup semi final against Germany and 1996 Euro cup semi against the same team. Tim Henman throughout his Wimbledon career. The England rugby team last September with the try that never was[/quote]

To coin a phrase from a real tennis champion - "you cannot be serious" - Tim Henman - catch a grip of yourself. If he is the best that England can, have or will produce then forget it. As for the 1990 soccer squad the entire 90's soccer squad must rate as the best example of quailty failure. With some of the greatest names in world soccer in that squad and they couldnt win against a Vauxhall Conference team. Luck - they didnt need luck they needed passion and pride and they didnt have one ounce of it between them.

But you finish it off with the best of them all regarding the RWC. Didnt you read the official full match reports or even your own captains post match interview in which he accepted the decision was correct. Vickery at least has some sense in him - unlike others around here [:(]

It's irrelevant to me what country Ferrari come from, so I am not xenophobic. I feel the same way about Liverpool FC in football. It is just another team.

As for the rest, clearly you don't remember the football events I was referring to. I seem to remember there being much comitment, passion and pride. Remember Gazza'a tears? The RWC, if his leg had been half an inch less splayed, then a try would have been given and who knows what would have happened then. I accept Tim Henman was never the best, but he did have poor luck when he needed it most. In the same time frame we had a Wimbledon winner called Richard Krijeck (spelling), who was never anywhere near the best, yet he still won it. Sport is about inches, tropheys are won and lost on it. Just that extra bit of luck at the right time can put a team an inch ahead. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Anyway, well done LH!

[quote]Sport is about inches, tropheys are won and lost on it. Just that extra bit of luck at the right time can put a team an inch ahead[/quote]

Absolutely Richard - I couldnt agree with you more. Sport, especially at that level, is about the thousands of hours or practice, training, testing and all that is required to become one of the best. Your team, or your back office crew or your trainers give up as many hours and the whole thing can be lost, or gained, on something totally outside of your control such as Glock and the 14.4 second slower last lap. We'll question it forever. But Massa is a sportsman, and based on his actions post race he is a fine man too but the pain on his face and those guys in the pit was, for real sports people, just about the hardest thing to watch. It was agony.

I have no doubt that there are things that happen inside F1 that defy belief or comprehension but that can be said about many sports but the sports people inside these sports just get on with the sport.

Regarding, Gazza, I agree he had passion when he pulled on the England shirt. But you must equally admit that during the 90's, and even post millennium, with the level of major talent in the English camp they have been pretty dire and one aspect of this, IMHO, is a great lack of passion for both the shirt, the honour of player for their country and a burning desire to do both pride. Any lack of luck they might have had pales into insignificance thereafter.

For sure. I didn't know much about Massa as a person, and since the race, I am surprised a sportsman can behave as well as he. So hats off to him for that. I'm used to sportsmen spitting the dummy. To give you little background of me, I am an Everton supporter (for the past 25 years, through the good times and the bloody awful times), so I have a distrust of anything red! [:D] If anything, I'm probably a colourist [;-)]

On the England football team, 1990 was a real high and then Graham Taylor took over and since then, it has never recovered. A little high again in 96, and nothing really since. You are right, the 90's were awful. Considering some of the names, England continually under perform, and I think more so today. But I felt they were a little unlucky in both semis in 90 and 96. Since 98, I lost a lot of interest in international football, and am slowly losing interest in club football too. Money is dominating the sport and it is becoming very boring with the same clubs winning all the time. I love the under dog.

Oh no not a Toffee [;-)].  I will, privately of course, admit to having grown up in the Boys Pen and then the Kop. That was a long time ago. I wholly agree with your current assessment of soccer. It has no appeal for me like it did in the early to mid 70's especially derby's in Merseyside. Brilliant matches and brilliant banter. Thats all gone now as you say. Fortunately I had rugby to replace soccer and I'm still passionate about it although its slowly heading in the same direction as soccer.

I cannot understand why the English squad, for more than 15 years or more, has been so devoid of results given its talent. The problem is money and greed I guess which is crass and no example for the youngsters but hey - C'est la vie - I suppose.

AS an avid irish rugby supporter I took much abuse having put a tenner on England to win the RWC in 2003. I knew in my heart (now thats some admisssion from an Irishman) that they'd do it. They played the right tactics, they had a passion that if you could tap would produce electricity and a true blue bulldog pride that made a 16th player on the pitch. Woodward knew their strengths - Johnston knew them too and they both drove a reasonable team to do the business and they deserved it. Yes they had luck but they had much much more than that. They had pride, passion and balls.

As far as being a colourist - surely you can get help for that - [:D] - Good luck to you and keep up the craic - Cheers

It certainly has changed (the derby). I don't know if it's sky or what happened in the mid 80's because of Heysel (which created the bitter blues), but the friendly derby seems a thing of the past now. A shame as that was what made it unique. But most likely it is down to money again.

I was in living in Australia when England won the RU world cup. That was one of the gutsiest performances by any English team I think I've seen in my life. I didn't say anything to anyone the following day. There really was no need.

The WC this year was interesting for us, as our neighbours are also from NI. So we had the French around us for France, my wife and I for Australia, my wife and I for England (one of the perks of dual nationality) and our neighbour for Ireland. And of course non of us won! [:)]

[quote]The WC this year was interesting for us, as our neighbours are also from NI. So we had the French around us for France, my wife and I for Australia, my wife and I for England (one of the perks of dual nationality) and our neighbour for Ireland. And of course non of us won! [/quote]

Just about says it all. I bet living in Oz, immediately after RWC 2003 final, was pure magic.

GP racing was getting boring. Ecclestone wanted more glitz.

So the season ends with the young rookie winning the championship on the last corner of the last race. He is incompetent enough to be overtaken by Vettel when in the 5th position he needs to secure the championship. But a driver in front slows down unbelievably to enable our hero to regain the position yards before the end of the race and he his hailed a magician. And now everyone will want to see what happens next season.

Millions of dollars were at stake. Millions of dollars no doubt have changed hands behind the scenes. And everyone is happy.

Dream on.

I used to enjoy motor sport when it was for real.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]So the season ends with the young rookie winning the championship on the last corner of the last race. He is incompetent enough to be overtaken by Vettel when in the 5th position he needs to secure the championship. But a driver in front slows down unbelievably to enable our hero to regain the position yards before the end of the race and he his hailed a magician. And now everyone will want to see what happens next season.[/quote]

Calculated risk: We knew Hamilton would overtake Glock says McLaren'sWhitmarsh

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]GP racing was getting boring. Ecclestone wanted more glitz.

So the season ends with the young rookie winning the championship on the last corner of the last race. He is incompetent enough to be overtaken by Vettel when in the 5th position he needs to secure the championship. But a driver in front slows down unbelievably to enable our hero to regain the position yards before the end of the race and he his hailed a magician. And now everyone will want to see what happens next season.

Millions of dollars were at stake. Millions of dollars no doubt have changed hands behind the scenes. And everyone is happy.

Dream on.

I used to enjoy motor sport when it was for real.
[/quote]

Watch MotoGP, real racing and real overtaking

Apart from local Scrambling meetings, I was mainly a car, rather than bike, fan. Rallying, in particular, but also single seaters. I was a particular fan of Jackie Stewart, whose signed photo still hangs over my desk. This was in the days when you could park your car next to the track at Silverstone - and the car roof was strong enough to take the weight of 2 people (albeit a little lighter than they are today...) At the end of a Grand Prix, I could even take my 1964 Hillman Minx down Hangar Straight, not quite reaching the 180mph of the race cars.... I have since done the full circuit a number of times in rather nimbler vehicles.

But I certainly agree, Teapot, that MotoGP now offers a lot more genuine racing excitement than F1 cars. I had already decided that I was going to start attending the nearby Magny-Cours circuit to watch bikes. Apart from those taking part, the area is awash with thousands of spectators' machines whenever there is a major event. And despite Ecclestone's determination to abandon Magny-Cours for somewhere glitzier, the circuit itself is first class, for both cars and bikes.