air rifles & charging

Yvonne

Hi

I want to buy an air rifle  (pcp) but live in the mountains & not near the sea, where can i get a diver bottle & also get it re filled.

Also do you know if i can buy UK branded rifles over here, the French rifles are less powerful, not that i want a french one, but was just wondering.

Cheers

muzzie

A freind in th UK got a diver bottle for his airguns off ebay for little money.  The tank was perfectly OK but not certified for diving as the inspection cert (or whatever it was) had lapsed.   He filled it amazingly by hand, using a sort of stirrup pump.  300 'pumps' every day for a week!  He reckoned it gave him some good exercise too.

I have no idea of the legality of importing one to France, but airguns sold in Germany have a much higher power rating than UK airguns, both pistols and rifles.  No license required in Germany but perhaps strangly, you do need a license for one here in Luxembourg.

You can in the uk buy a stirrup type pump to charge up your pcp, but it can be hard work.

As far as power limits and such you have found that most of them sold here in france are of a low power and that is because of the following.

1.If you are not a member of a gun club you cannot own one over 9 joules which I think is around 6ftlb. 

2.You can own one another way and that is to get a hunting licence, which is a bit backwards as you are not allowed to shoot anything living with a airgun in france. As you see a bit backwards...

3.Anything over 9 joules is classed as a firearm.

4.They can be purchased in france over the 9 joules but they will want copies of licence, gun club etc to sell you one. They are also a lot more expensive here in france to buy.

5.Try www.ediloisir.com as one place but if you punch in air carabine in google france you will find a fair few places to purchase airguns.

I hope this helps   

I believe the power limit for German airguns is 24 Joules which is quite a punch and obviously far above the 'no license required' limit for France as stated above.

I didn't know about the 'no shooting live things with an airgun', especially as it has been suggested to me by my French neighbours as a method of rat control.  I wouldn't do it anyway but it seems to me that at only 9 Joules it would have to be a pretty good head shot for a quick kill. 

• 1 month later...
Power limit for France non licence is 8ft pounds, UK is 12ft pounds, Airarms like the S200 are adjustable easily, up for use down for being checked, easy to monitor, sighters over same distance, and adjust to suit.  The bottles for filling are not any old bottle, they come in various capacities and costs, they have to be certified safe every five years, not unusual for the bottle to come back from a check which you pay for to find a grinder has rendered it useless due to inner faults which develope with use.  Look on sites for UTTINGS or YORK GUNS or PICKERING GUNS all three reliable dealers who can supply everything you might need.

• 1 month later...

Having done a lot of Small Bore pistol shooting in the past I’m thinking of getting an air pistol to shoot some targets in the barn but also keep the rodents down. I don’t like using poison due to the other animals around and the snakes just don’t seem to be on top of things!

My question is what calibre? The .22 pistols I’ve found have been smooth bored so not as accurate as the .177’s which are rifled, better for the targets but will they have enough stopping power?

[quote user="Moulin85"]

My question is what calibre? The .22 pistols I’ve found have been smooth bored so not as accurate as the .177’s which are rifled, better for the targets but will they have enough stopping power?

[/quote]

A short answer is no.

Far better to get a rifle for rodents, more power and more accuracy.

If your left-handed PM me and I'll give you some imformation that forum rules prohibit me from posting.