Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

I hope the momentous opportunity for Ireland to win a grand slam doesn't freeze them. Wales will desperately want to win for many reasons, but high on the list will be the fact that if they lose, England could well nick 2nd place in the standings IF they beat Scotland.

What a great competition the 6 nations has been though, and the reality is that Wales, Ireland, France and England are not too far apart. Wales on their day would currently still just about beat any European team, though their suspect strength in depth was laid bare on Saturday. Ireland unfortunately will lose many 'old hands' in the run up to 2011 world cup and may be a declining force at the wrong time. France just need some consistency of selection, their selection policy is a joke. England may finally have bottomed. Will we come close to losing 5 out of 6 games in the next couple of years ? I really hope not. As for Scotland, they have added a couple of candidates for the Lions tour and will really be up for the Calcutta Cup.

As a final thought, what would a team consisting of Scottish backs and Italian forwards done to this years 6 nations? Parisse is to Italian rugby what Ryan Giggs was to Wales football.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up on the settee this morning having fallen asleep in the first half of the England game watching France, what happened? [;-)] . Reminded me of England and my trip to Ireland.

I overheard in the bakers this morning two French chaps, one said (as part of a conversation about his selection for the England game) that "Marc Lievremont made Inspector Clouseau look intelligent" .

Not now Kato.......

[quote user="Quillan"]

I woke up on the settee this morning having fallen asleep in the first half of the England game watching France, what happened? [;-)] .

[/quote]

Nothing really Quillan - honest. You didnt miss much. [:D][;-)][:)]

baypond - pretty good assessment IMHO. I still love to see the Italians scare the beejaysus outta the big guns. [:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]

I overheard in the bakers this morning two French chaps, one said (as part of a conversation about his selection for the England game) that "Marc Lievremont made Inspector Clouseau look intelligent" .

Not now Kato.......

[/quote]

[:D]

I see they've brought Michalak back to try and get a bit of organisation into the side, which must've brought a wry smile to his face. Italy, anyone?

Ah so your up then or did you not go to bed? Well done Ireland, a deserved win. It was the game I think we were all looking forward to and it didn't disappoint (well except for a bit of kicking by you know who, you could have stuck another few points on). If only England could have played the same rugby at the beginning as they did for the last two matches it might be us celebrating full on.

Well done.

Thank you raindog. You flatter the man raindog but I understand where you are coming from. O'Gara was costly to us in every game in this 6N's and we won the Grand Slam DESPITE O'Gara. The worst thing is that McGeechan will probably pick him for Lions duty - it should be to clean boots.

Wales showed yesterday what Laporte had been saying for years. He is weak in defence and slow with ball in hand when under and pressure at all and worth letting his forwards at him to take him out. Did you ever see the photo of Betson holding O'Gara horizontally and smiling. Said it all for me. Galtland knew this as he was the one responsible for ROBOT O'GARA in the first place.

Merci Quillan - yes it was a great game in many aspects. I just hope that Kidney is left alone to build for 2011 especially as many of those fine lads wont be there for it.

Now, I'm off to nurse a rather sore head. [;-)]

I agree about O'Gara - he's inconsistent and unreliable, but he kept his head under massive pressure for that one moment that counted. Not everyone can do that. Imagine the difference this morning if that drop had just gone wide of the posts instead of passing between them. [:D]

The Welsh gameplan seemed to be (1) use the Wasps' rush defense (2) and/or thump O'Gara then (3) push/niggle for a kickable penalty. Thats it. Forget the rest. (OK, Henson had other ideas but could not find anyone not prepared to deviate from plans 1, 2 & 3).

So as a neutral I am glad that the Irish won as they had the idea that scoring trys might win the game. Regarding O'Gara - the thing he does so well is keep his team playing in the opponent's half (no kickable penalties for the opponents there). His drop goal was a fitting end to a match where he had taken battering after battering. A lesser man might have flinched as the charge-down crew came at him. Respect.

May I add my congrats UR99.  Deserved and it would have been a travesty if they hadn't come through at the end.  I hope you won't think it churlish if I say that for me, this isn't a great Irish side, but it does have some notable bedrocks. O'Connell & O'Driscoll are the obvious ones and one or other of them must be certs for the Lion's captaincy.

Pity that Wales ended up 4th - they're a better side than that.

As for England, does anyone agree that Mears had his best game yet?  My recollection is that he was 2nd or 3rd receiver after the breakdown on countless occasions and dropped the ball just once.  

[quote user="Gardian"]As for England, does anyone agree that Mears had his best game yet?  [/quote]

Yes......... I saw smoke coming from the scrum..........He'd lit a fire by rubbing the other hookers' legs together. Marvellous backwoods man.

[quote user="PeterG"]

[quote user="Gardian"]As for England, does anyone agree that Mears had his best game yet?  [/quote]

Yes......... I saw smoke coming from the scrum..........He'd lit a fire by rubbing the other hookers' legs together. Marvellous backwoods man.

[/quote]

My God yes, he was running like a back sometimes. And I know Tindall is good in defence and is used like a battering ram in attack, but surely his days are over. He's even getting a hint of a gut on him. Time for Tait to start every time methinks.

[quote user="Gardian"]

May I add my congrats UR99.  Deserved and it would have been a travesty if they hadn't come through at the end.  I hope you won't think it churlish if I say that for me, this isn't a great Irish side, but it does have some notable bedrocks. O'Connell & O'Driscoll are the obvious ones and one or other of them must be certs for the Lion's captaincy.

Pity that Wales ended up 4th - they're a better side than that.

As for England, does anyone agree that Mears had his best game yet?  My recollection is that he was 2nd or 3rd receiver after the breakdown on countless occasions and dropped the ball just once.  [/quote]

Thanks Gardian and no - not churlish at all as its true but it shows you what a DECENT coach (unlike Comical O'Sullivan) can do with a squad like that. The great sadness is that quite a few of them, bedrocks too, will not see 2011 [:(]

Well done to Ireland very much well deserved.  However Renaud the game for the Welsh was one that was decided for them and to try to win and Gatland was there behind everything.  One thing I would say in the defence of my nation's team is that if every other six national team had decided not to slow down the ball to the Welsh then it would be a totally differing issue.  There cannot with respect be any doubt that apart from His Lordship from Ireland the Welsh had the better backs.  It has always been such.

Remember Ieuan and the ex-wing commander on the wing for England.  Remember JPR remember JJWilliams remember Gareth remember Barry the Ghost remember TGR.  Remember Wembley.  That is all we have memories and thus I end by saying a huge congratulations to the Irish and to think that we ended up in 4th place is a travesty.

Still we beat the English and some of my friends will say that is enough.  Not for me I have seen too many beatings at the hands of Martin  so we have a way yet to go.

"...if every other six national team had decided not to slow down the ball to the Welsh..."  Well then maybe the other nations might do sneaky things like try to tackle them... (hang on a sec, haven't the boyos tried to slow down a bit of opposition ball too)?

The Welsh this year have great backs but sadly the game plan on Saturday was to use most of them as ancillary full backs and try to get penalties from the forwards.

Who Dragon would you have in the Lions?

(The great JPR etc. sadly unavailable.)

This might interest you UR99: I've a feeling that I might have mentioned this before over the last umpteen pages, but I can't be bothered to check back and it bears repeating.

Back in the early 90's, when elder son was playing for the 2nd XV of his Thames Valley school (v strong rugby heritage, regular do-wells in the Daily Mail Cup comps), there was a visiting weekend + midweek fixture by 2 Irish school teams. One was Blackrock, can't remember the other one.

Now, I don't recall there being any complacency around, but the home sides weren't accustomed to getting beaten. The normal win ratio was 75% + at least.

In all 4 fixtures, the Irish lads completely stuffed the home school. 30-ish points deficit in all of the games. Wish I'd had a list of the players; I'll bet that more than a few of them carried on to serious senior standard, if not international.  Memories!!  

Quick answer to the question of the Lions I would say without a doubt the English side that won the World Cup!

I do not feel qualified to talk about say England |Ireland  or Scotland and perhaps even Wales but from the Welsh  side at first pass?

Byrne

Jamie Roberts

Ryan Jones

Shanklin

Stephen Jones for his experience and reliability and if games depended upon kicking

Martin Williams (who might play the mid week games)

The wizard on the wing

Maybe Henson but really not too sure on that point for he has a boot on him and is a second line kicker

And our second row Alan Wynn Jones

For Captain you have to reward O'Driscoll and Ryan Jones would have been there if he had pulled it off but not know

Thats it

Hi Gardian - PM me the dates etc and I might be able to find something. Blackrock is one of our premier rugby schools. Maybe the second school was from around the Limerick area (Young MUnster men). See what you can come up with.

Sadly I have to say that it wouldnt have included me [:(][;-)] Far too old for the 90's.

Re Lions - Paul O'Connell for captain. Leave O'Driscoll to play his game.

I have just been catching up with the posts from last two days. Firstly, congrats to Ireland. O'Driscoll alone deserved to get something from his many years of service, O'Connel too.

But.....I have no sympathy for Wales. It has nothing to do with an opinion about the Welsh, or about their team (who will be giving a backbone to the Lions in June which we will all be rooting for regardless of which country the players are from). It is more to do with Gatland and his tactics which went woefully awry. Firstly, they had a scare/warning against England, but didn't see it as such, and didn't respond. They then got thwacked by the French. But the real problem was Italy. What was Gatland thinking of in not putting out his best team. By leaving themselves a 13 point gap after the Italy game, they allowed Ireland to go out and play. Wales against Ireland rarely used their backs to any effect, and in fact in this 6 nations where was this most potent attacking force in Europe? less tries than england and ireland, less line breaks than england and ireland, less passes than england or ireland. I am sorry - there is no travesty in where Wales finished in the table especially as there were 3 second places in effect.

Ireland - Performed pretty much to their full ability

Wales - Below par given their talent and the fact that the shackles were off their back from last years Grand slam and autumn international win against southern hemisphere.

England - Jekyl and Hyde, great in attack, but horrible in defence in as much that they can't defend without giving out a pathetic amount of penalties (65 in 5 games).

France - selection policy is squandering player's intl careers and results

Scotland - If only they would support the guy that breaks the line. They have forgotten how to score tries

Italy - no attack 

• 4 weeks later...

Announced Squad: 1. Euan Murray 2. Gethin Jenkins 3. Adam Jones 4. John Hayes 5. Andrew Sheridan 6. Ross Ford 7. Dylan Hartley 8. Jerry Flannery 9. Paul O`Connell 10. Nick Kennedy 11. Alun Wyn Jones 12. Nathan Hines 13. Martyn Williams 14. John Barclay 15. David Wallace 16. Jamie Heaslip 17. Ryan Jones 18. Tom Croft 19. Joe Worsley 20. Mike Blair 21. Mike Philips 22. Harry Ellis 23. Danny Cipriani 24. Ronan O`Gara 25. Stephen Jones 26. Nicky Robinson 27. Riki Flutey 28. Brian O`Driscoll 29. Jamie Roberts 30. Tom Shanklin 31. Leigh Halfpenny 32. Thom Evans 33. Shane Williams 34. Tommy Bowe 35. Ben Foden 36. Rob Kearney 37. Lee Byrne

This team list came out some time this morning on Wikepedia as the 'announced squad'

I wonder if it is real - we find out in 10 minutes