Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

The Irish are far from good right now and tomorrow night has all the hallmarks of a thrashing BUT the biggest difference between us and the English team right now is that we still play as a team and have some pride left. But only just I think.

Dont write the French off just yet. This is pretty much form for them, except the defeat against the Pumas.

Georgia and Namibia played the right game. Front it up, in your face and keep the ball. They have fierce and aggressive forwards and the picking and driving was great to see. They just hadnt got the experience to put us away. Merciful God be praised [;-)][;-)]

[/quote]

On a different note i went to both games and during the second half of the Georgia game several of the Irish fans were becoming quite aggressive towards each other. I know they were drunk but having been to Ireland several times for football i was quite shocked as i always thought the Irish were a calm easy going race when it came to following their national team especially rugby.

Tim 

[quote user="Gardian"]

Well, that was a disappointing Irish performance.  I can barely remember a game in recent years when they've never looked like scoring a try.  It's all over for them, barring a miracle.

We'll win tomorrow afternoon ................. won't we????

[/quote]

Hi Gardian,

are you from Samoa?

timc17 thats very sad to hear and not what we want to be seen for or known as. I would guess that this is frustration spilling out as a consequence of the awful coach we were gifted in 2001. This doesnt excuse any behaviour but last night will be the last straw for many die hard Irish supporters who have spent large fortunes following the Green boys to Argentina and no France. I pray to God that the IRFU take O'Sullivans new 4 year contract (which they gave him just before the world cup) and tear it up.

Gardian - pretty accurate post. We never got going at all. We ha dno leadership, no passion, no committment and no inspitartion. To hear O'Sullivan blame the line-outs and then the ref is typical of him. O'Sullivan is an expert at the Talk talk but cant do the Walk walk. Sadly we are seriously unlikely to take a bonus point win from the Pumas so the lads will giving RyanAir a few more Euro profit sooner than planned.

As for England - God help you all. Wilko should not be sent on. He'll be targeted by the Samoan big men and out for another year. Is Robinson over his hamstring. I hope so for you guys need a leader and you dont have one (not that we do either).

Good luck today.

Two good matches today (I've given up on the 3rd).

I've never been a big fan of Corry, but I have to say that he had a good game today and not just because he scored 2 tries.  Pleased for him too, because he always seems to have been given the captaincy when we ended up losing.

Tonga have played above themselves and all credit, but if we grind it out in the forwards and don't kick inaccurately, we'll win comfortably on Friday. 

It does look like southern hemisphere hegemony this year, unless the All Blacks wobble against France (their probable quarter-final opponents). Semi-finalists look like being Argentina, Australia, NZ and SA. England have been pretty dire, some of which is down to succession planning, some to poor selection and most of all, we don't have many world-class players at the moment. If we get to the quarters perhaps we might get a result against Australia as I don't think they are as good as SA or NZ. The Irish have been the big disappointment - they came with a settled team, experienced players, pretty good Six Nations record and I though they might mount a challenge. There are rumours of big disagreements in the camp so perhaps this is a reason for their performance.  

plod wrote

The Irish have been the big disappointment - they came with a settled team, experienced players, pretty good Six Nations record and I though they might mount a challenge. There are rumours of big disagreements in the camp so perhaps this is a reason for their performance.  

You are correct about disappointment but one thing is certain. We were most definitely not a settled team. Sure we destroyed England at Croke Park (history and all that went with that) but since that day we have done fig all. Argentina tour was an unmitigated disaster - pre WC07 matches the same and a coach who has singularly failed to deliver on any of his targets.

They are experienced if you look at the 1st 15 but due to Comical O'Sullivans failed and crazed strategy, we have always 7 inexperienced men warming the bench.

Forget the rumours. There isnt a squad that doesnt see the odd whack player to player but as for the twaddle that L'Equipe has been spewing out - its gutter journo rubbish.

Northern Hemisphere's only hopes have always been France and I backed them from the Spring time. They are still in their and I'd bet my months supply of Guinness (no mean wager I assure you) that they will make the last 4 and possibly the last 2.

[quote user="plod"]If we get to the quarters perhaps we might get a result against Australia as I don't think they are as good as SA or NZ.  [/quote]

I agree with the 1st bit, but not the 2nd. 

By that, I mean that our pack will probably hold it's own against the Wallabies and (like any match against them), we'll always have an even chance.

Having said that, and in the unlikely event of us losing to them or even Tonga (!), I fancy them to go all the way and win it. 

Reasons?  They're a 'never say die' nation + and more objectively, they have two match-winning 10's in Larkham and Berwick, & Latham as a wild card.    

UlsterRugby1999 wrote

"
Northern Hemisphere's only hopes have always been France and I

backed them from the Spring time. They are still in their and I'd bet

my months supply of Guinness (no mean wager I assure you) that they

will make the last 4 and possibly the last 2."

I know France are capable of pulling a good match out of thin air, but i'm afraid they'll get taken apart by NZ in the quarters.

(i'm new here, and I can't get used to the "quote" system or the typestyle system. Never used this format of board before.)

Interesting snippet on the news at lunch about the forthcoming match at the weekend.

France have a whole week to recuperate from their last match, while

Georgia will only have 3 days, when it's generally considered that a

rugby team needs 4 or 5 days between matches. Something bloody wrong

there

Sorry raindog but you must be having a laugh.

There was no aspect of that win that can give you the impression that Australia are going to lose to England. Tonga were woeful in the breakdown, in the loose, in the lineout (for which they did not challenge one English lineout) their scrum was ok (ish) they dropped more ball than they caught and they kicked away more hard yards than they won in the whole year.

For England to win in Marseille, they need to up the ante 300% and I dont think they have it.

That said, Nick Easter was immense. Corry (for whom I have no love) is the true bulldog but ................ what else ??????

If England play lackluster like that against the Wallabies - God help you. And remember, they are out for blood for the 2003 final is still

It's never over till the (proverbial) fat lady sings.

Of course the Aussies are favourites, but funnier things have happened.  I think I heard that they're 7-2 on, and us 5-2 against.  Got to be worth a few quid? (on us)

We're improving.  Chuster motm for me.  

By the way, I hope that Ireland do it on Sunday (?), but it looks doubtful.  In truth, they don't deserve it. 

Cant disagree with any of that Gardian especially in relation to the criminal Irish (non) showing. I feel a demolition job coming from the Argentinians tomorrow night. And then maybe thats just what we need. We used to be a team that played from the heart first and head second. The passion has gone and the head is full of rehearsed set pieces which dont fire anyway.

AS for Chuter and the rest of the English pack - it seemed to click pretty well and while your lineout wasnt tested once, it functioned well and the throwing was pretty accurate. Easter was my MOTM for his inventive play and drive. He was tireless and drove his forwards on. Has a little look of Johnston about him. Corry worked hard but looks tired after 50 minutes.

I WAS having a BIT of a laugh, but.....

Haven't watched the game yet, my next door neighbour has taped it for me, so i'll watch it later. I followed it on the internet and the bbc said it was our best game yet (yes, I know, that dosen't mean much) and they said our backs were actually getting decent ball.

If there is a big team we can beat if we play well, it's the Aussies - that's all I meant.

Rugby's a funny game, were almost anything can happen - one reason we love it so much?