Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

[quote user="Quillan"]how O'Driscoll got away without a yellow card I don't know [/quote]

Morning Quillan I hope your head is better [:D] What do you mean by the quote above? I have no idea and watched the highlights again to see if I missed something. O'Driscoll was exemplary and aside from being targeted by one or two of the English guys, he held his cool and let the ref deal with things. Sadly, the ref was somewhat soft - especially for the cynical Armitage blockage and the head ramming from Flutey. But I dont see where you are coming from on the yellow for O'Driscoll thing.

How many Guinness did you have then - come on be honest [:D][;-)][:D]

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

how O'Driscoll got away without a yellow card I don't know and it looked like a try to us.

[/quote]

??? Come on Quillan, spill the beans. Could you see something we couldn't on the telly?

(I'd love to know what Johnno said to Danny Care after the match [:D])

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Quillan"]

how O'Driscoll got away without a yellow card I don't know and it looked like a try to us.

[/quote]

??? Come on Quillan, spill the beans. Could you see something we couldn't on the telly?[/quote]

Good man raindog I thought it was something I'd missed. Mind you, I've come away from Dublin after a weekend on the Black Juice and even forgotten my name [:D][;-)]

Oh deep embarrassment and shame on my behalf, I am for always getting names mixed up, I meant Peter Stringer (the little bald headed chap) for his off the ball tackle in the first half. Well I mean they look the same don't they, they all have green shirts [8-|] .

Profound apologies to all.

Eighty five quid I paid for that blinking ticket, daylight robbery, that's the end of my whinge. Next year back to normal, England v France in Paris and 45 Euros through the club for a ticket, much better value for money except I will miss out on the Guinness.

I'm off now to read that Banking thread, looks a bit lively and leave you chaps in peace.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I meant Peter Stringer (the little bald headed chap) for his off the ball tackle in the first half. Well I mean they look the same don't they, they all have green shirts [8-|] .

[/quote]

In support of Quillan, they could be forgiven for being twins, and their names are pretty much alike.[;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Oh deep embarrassment and shame on my behalf, I am for always getting names mixed up, I meant Peter Stringer (the little bald headed chap) for his off the ball tackle in the first half. Well I mean they look the same don't they, they all have green shirts [8-|] .

[/quote]

I think Stringer only came on for the last 15 minutes or so of the match.[8-)]

I mate of mine went over for the game too, and he's fed up about spending so much money to see a 90 minute kickfest.[:D]

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]
I think Stringer only came on for the last 15 minutes or so of the match.[8-)]

I mate of mine went over for the game too, and he's fed up about spending so much money to see a 90 minute kickfest.[:D]
[/quote]

Peter Stringer came on with 8 minutes and 46 seconds of normal play left in the 2nd half. Come on Quillan - how many Guinness. [:D][;-)][:D]

Match tickets these days are just getting totally silly. We went up to Paris for the Stade Francais v Ulster and the good stand tickets were 65€.

OK, enough of this 6 Nations nonsense!

Visiting elder son and I have just spent the last 2 hrs + half a bottle of Remy debating the Lions squad (35). Our squad is as follows:

Forwards: Sheridan, Vickery, Hayes, Jenkins, Murray, Flannery, Rees M, Mears, Wyn-Jones, O'Connell (c), Hines, Kennedy, Haskell, Jones R, Wallace, Williams M, Heaslip, Powell

Backs: Blair, Phillips, Jones S, Cipriani, O'Gara, Williams S, Bowe, Lamont S, Evans T, Roberts, Shanklin, O'Driscoll, Evans M, Byrne, Kearney, Lewsey, Armitage D 

Our starting Test XV:

Byrne, Bowe, O'Driscoll, Roberts, Williams S, Cipriani, Phillips, Powell, Wallace, Jones R, O'Connell (c), Wyn-Jones, Murray, Flannery, Sheridan.

Discuss !!!

[quote user="Gardian"]

OK, enough of this 6 Nations nonsense!

Visiting elder son and I have just spent the last 2 hrs + half a bottle of Remy debating the Lions squad (35). Our squad is as follows:

Forwards: Sheridan, Vickery, Hayes, Jenkins, Murray, Flannery, Rees M, Mears, Wyn-Jones, O'Connell (c), Hines, Kennedy, Haskell, Jones R, Wallace, Williams M, Heaslip, Powell

Backs: Blair, Phillips, Jones S, Cipriani, O'Gara, Williams S, Bowe, Lamont S, Evans T, Roberts, Shanklin, O'Driscoll, Evans M, Byrne, Kearney, Lewsey, Armitage D 

Our starting Test XV:

Byrne, Bowe, O'Driscoll, Roberts, Williams S, Cipriani, Phillips, Powell, Wallace, Jones R, O'Connell (c), Wyn-Jones, Murray, Flannery, Sheridan.

Discuss !!![/quote]

Go and wash your mouth out Gardian [;-)] - for some of us, its way better than watching over inflated semi soccer type prima-donnas from the GP. Now that should create a wee reaction [Www][Www]

As for your Lions selections - generally no problem - but (banging on my drum again) not that loose wingnut LIABILITY VICKERY. I dont mind it when he costs England 6 to 9 points a game but not the Lions. McGeechan could surprise you though. Personally, I'd love it if he didnt select ROBOT O'GARA. That would make the IRFU sit up and take a bit of notice for a wee while. In his place I'd be very brave and opt for a good thinking OH and Goode has shown smart moves this 6 NATIONS (I knew I'd get to mention it). Not so sure about Gerry Flannery either. He has failed to deliver between the Autumn tests and this years 6 NATIONS [;-)][;-)]

During this 6 NATIONS  [Www][:D] I've been very impressed with Andy Powells work rate. He is definitley worth a selection. Other than that, no surprises in your selection. Have you spoken to Geech yet [:)]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

As for your Lions selections - generally no problem - but (banging on my drum again) not that loose wingnut LIABILITY VICKERY. I dont mind it when he costs England 6 to 9 points a game but not the Lions. McGeechan could surprise you though. Personally, I'd love it if he didnt select ROBOT O'GARA. That would make the IRFU sit up and take a bit of notice for a wee while. In his place I'd be very brave and opt for a good thinking OH and Goode has shown smart moves this 6 NATIONS (I knew I'd get to mention it). Not so sure about Gerry Flannery either. He has failed to deliver between the Autumn tests and this years 6 NATIONS [;-)][;-)]

During this 6 NATIONS  [Www][:D] I've been very impressed with Andy Powells work rate. He is definitley worth a selection. Other than that, no surprises in your selection. Have you spoken to Geech yet [:)]

[/quote]

Yes, we were a bit doubtful about Vickery too, but saw him as an experienced pair of hands for the midweek matches. We went for Cipriani at 10 because son & heir reckons that he's been playing really well at Wasps recently and McG et al will be well aware of that. Flannery? Maybe, but we couldn't see a better option.

Raindog - re Lewsey, it's the same as with Cipriani, apparently playing really well. McG isn't interested in past history and he'll take the players who he thinks will do a job.

Must have been a dodgy bottle of Remy: felt a bit iffy this morning. [blink]

Worsley has played himself in I think. Personally I think Powell has to prove he is not one dimensional. I think he is being found out.

I don't go for Lewsey simply because I frequently hear that test match rugby is a step up from club rugby, and without a staedy flow of test rugby I am not sure they can pick him. The other point about Lewsey is that he isn't particularly tour friendly. He is not really a team player. Robot O'Gara would be unsuprising, but I think he is shocking once his kicking game goes off the boil. McG is the master tactition, he will want flexible players who have more than one facet to their game.

I see Care has been forgiven and that Shaw is back in, but at the expense of Kennedy, which seems a bit odd. Hope Flood puts on a better show, I thought he was bloody awfull against Ireland, and let's hope Tait replaces Tindall sooner rather than later in the match, but I can't help feeling negative about sunday afternoon. [:(]

The French pack has been as clean as a whistle and strong with it - hence the Shaw inclusion. Chabal will try and tie up Worsley all afternoon, and if Chabal gets a head of steam then Flood is going to be under pressure all afternoon.

Care will behave for this game, but long term prognosis is that he doesn't learn from his mistakes. It wasn't long ago he got a penalty reversed against Stade Francais? for being lippy to the ref just as Harlequins were about to win the game. You would have thought if he was going to learn from anything it would have been from that. I don't buy his 'I let the side down' rubbish.

It is a shame they couldn't at least get Tait on the wing for the game although Moyne looks good.

I have just finished the viewing of todays matches.  We the Welsh were lucky but of course it was with a side of some ten changes.  That suggests that a percentage game came into play and somewhat fresh legs for next week in Cardiff.

Scotland and Ireland was very typical of the games between the sides and I think heavy legs on the Irish side for next week in Cardiff.

Tomorrow I see England walking over France at HQ.

Results for next week end Wales quite easily taking out Ireland at home of all good true rugby Cardiff.

Two pretty awful performances by Wales and Ireland. If England play as badly as that, the press will be calling for Johnson's head. Sorry but that was diabolical.

Powell was dreadful and yet again proved he is one dimensional and shouldn't be considered for the Lions. Henson looked sharp. God help the Lions if we take O'gara as first, second or third choice no10.

Tomorrow you can tell me how bad England were!

[quote user="baypond"]wow![/quote]

Quite.

If you'd turned on the tv at half time, you'd have thought it was a 'misprint'.

Combination of good play and the French being all over the shop. Anyway, I'm not going to try to analyse it too much - we gave the French a good stuffing and it was highly enjoyable.

Great win for England (and Ireland too as we needed you guys to beat France). To me the biggest single difference was the total self confidence/belief from the entire team. It was a million years from the Italian match.

As for Ireland - baypond I think you do an injustice to Scotland. They were so in our faces for the first half that we were only fit to contain them. Once again, when we went wide we broke through. They didnt like turn overs and we were eventually able to turn this round on the back of that. I think Scotland did a fine job first 40 minutes and came back into it in the 4th quarter but we had pinned them back in the 3rd quarter and the sting left them.

As for Wales, I hope they keep the trend up. They have become progressively worse as the 6N's has gone on. Long may it continue.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

As for Wales, I hope they keep the trend up. They have become progressively worse as the 6N's has gone on. Long may it continue.

[/quote]

You mean at least untill after next week-end's game.......[;-)]

Couldn't agree more UR99.  Although it pains me to say it, the Scots were much improved on Saturday and gave your guys a bit of a scare. It'll be interesting to see what happens vs us.

To be honest, I fancy the Welsh to turn you over on Saturday, but probably not by the 13pts that they need.  We'll see.

Returning to the Lions squad debate, I wonder how many players will have gone in or out of the reckoning by this time next week?

Also (and I know that this is a totally academic question), but if it was a '6 Nations' touring party, how many Frenchmen would be in the squad?  Not too many eh?  Dusattoir, Harinordoquy, possibly Szarzewski.  That's about it.

Oh and finally, I've 'mentioned' yesterday's game to two French friends so far: neither saw the match!!! Plus ca change. 

Funny thing that Gardian - Ive been wroking with a few French lads today and they were exceptionally quiet. Only once did I rib them - well that was from I walked on site until I left [:D][;-)]

But of course raindog - and as for hangovers - Mudder O God my head was like a stone mason hammer yesterday. I ended up past the wee small hours bateing the Jamesons into me.

Nah - as much as I love a wee slag and the English, it has to be said it was a fine performance and I'm only glad they did it this week instead of 2 weeks ago.