Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

Evening raindog - I didnt get to see it but had texts from my auld mates from the touchline and they were in pieces with despair. In truth, with a new coach and major team member changes this year is already probably written off as development year. That said, there are some gifted guys in the team so hope is still there. God amd Matt Williams willing.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raindog,

There were some dodgy ref decisions on both sides in the Toulouse - Bath match. As well as the one you mentioned there was a blatant late tackle on Jauzion (I think) which the ref completely ignored.

Stade Francais are looking good so far this season......

Lou

• 3 months later...
Well, we are out of it, never even looked like beating BO let alone scoring four tries. My tips for the semis are Cardiff, Leicester, Quins and Munster. One of the nationals' rugby correspondents was saying that the GP was inferior to the Magner's - well there are three clubs from one country - England!

[quote user="plod"] My tips for the semis are Cardiff, Leicester, Quins and Munster. [/quote]

Exactly my selection on another forum plod.

Anyone see Bath/Toulouse yesterday? What a good, old fashioned filthy scrap. 3-3 and everyone covered in mud.[:D]

[quote]One of the nationals' rugby correspondents was saying that the GP was inferior to the Magner's - well there are three clubs from one country - England! [/quote]

Interesting view plod but there are 4 Magners teams and only 3 GP teams in the last eight. From your prediction there are 2 from 4 teams from the Magners League. Personally, I dont actually think that the level of the Magners teams are, at this time, better than the GP but it is only the width of a fag paper in it. When the Italians come into  the Magners League, then you'll see the standard take a step beyond the GP.

Yes raindog - how goes it? This has got to be one of the most open 6N's we've had since it became the 6N's. I'll probably get killed for this but - the Welsh are hot and cold usually. Grand Slam 2005 followed by wooden spoon 2006 (oh and a dismissed coach for his trouble) then Grand Slam 2008 followed by - ......[Www][Www] Actually, I doubt, under warren Gatland it'll be a re-run of 2006.

Ireland, new driver same engine (and bull droppings coming from the IRFU in Dublin) - England new driver loads of spare parts for his engine with few of them fitting together. France are still in building mode, according to Lievremont, as they look towards 2011. Italy continue to improve and will worry every team who plays against them, especially at Stadio Flaminio. Nick Mallet is improving them all the time and no-one enjoys a trip to Rome (except the supporters that is) And Scotland ...... aye , there's Scotland too.

I guess Wales are front runners but never discount the French.

In fairness raindog your are right and so could Ireland but ........... its a big ask. The Irish are under pressure to produce something given their gross under performances of late and they still have the players to produce a show.

In 2006, Wales put themselves under too much pressure and Ruddock wasnt as well equipped, skill wise, as Gatland. I cant see Gatland letting them make the same mistake twice. Johnston is still very early into his rebuild and the last autumn tests werent too inspiring. The Irish insist on overloading the tired O'Driscoll who hasnt been half the player he was (or was expected to be) since O'Suulivan made him captain. I'm still a believer that your captain should play up front.

Predictions - Wales to win - France or Ireland second, England fourth, fifth Italy and last Scotland. BUT

If Ireland beat France on Staurday (IF) they should take second slot and maybe, just maybe, go the whole way as the final Irish match is against Wales, albeit in Cardiff. As I said, its open, wide open and it'll be worth a few Guinness at least.

Painful though it is to admit, I can't see past Wales. I fear for England; their confidence will be low, they've kept Borthwick as captain, Stevens is "indisposed". I think they could well finish fourth.

Late score Gloucester 23 L. Irish 21

C'mon Glaaawwwsss!

Wales look good for it I am sorry to say. England need a solid 6 Nations if they are going to start rebuilding belief.

England vs Italy - England win

Wales vs England - Wales win

Ireland vs England - England win

England vs France - England win

England vs Scotland could be a horrible surprise but it should be an England win.

At worst, I am sure England will win one of the Ireland or France games meaning no worse than 3rd if all else falls in to place.

The key to England success will be their ability to defend and avoiding silly mistakes.

Cipriani (if he plays in front of Flood or comes off the bench) needs to concentrate, ditto sackey. Danny Care needs to think of the team more than himself.

[quote]Ireland vs England - England win (what - at Croke Park. You must be off your head [Www][;-)]
England vs France - England win
 [/quote]

Ha ha baypond whatever you're smoking will you PM me some [:D][;-)]

So far England have shown little of the old grunt, save perhaps the last autumn test match, that is their characteristic doggedness. Indiscipline is the biggest fear I would have thought and especially against the French and the Italians. The Italians will be in your face niggling away trying to force the penalties out of you. The one thing that England has lacked since 2003 RWC, is cohesion within the forwards and backs. Too many changes and not enough time to knit maybe, I dont know, but they are anything but units, rather through other individuals.

Like plod I think England will take fourth spot. If Ireland get the French monkey off their back, once and for all, they might just do it otherwise its a Welsh win.

Martin Johnston has a hell of a job left to do yet. England should be very grateful that their first match was against one of the most inept teams they are ever likely to meet. Had Italy played in a similar way to their encounter with England last year they would have destroyed that English team. Mind you, I hope that England keep that up, of course, and they will finish fourth or maybe even fifth. [:D][:P]

I believe Ireland were described as a spent force. There was nothing spent that performance yesterday. Maybe they could have brought the wingers in more often but they held up well against a strong and mobile French pack. Our defense inside the 22 was immense. Some of younger players put in good performances and it was brilliant to see the O'Driscoll of old with some formidable hits, runs and his try. Magic.

In theory, Wales should easily do the damage today but I wouldnt go writing the Scots off yet. They are up for it and should make an 80 minute match of it.

If somebody offered you a ticket to any of the matches FOC which one would you pick? Personally I think the Ireland - Wales match would be my choice. Even if you paid I think you would get your moneys worth.

I have tickets to the England - Ireland match but after yesterday and unless Johnston can sort things out it could be a bit boring as in one sided. Never mind theres always the drinking I suppose. [B] .

Was it Brian Moore yesterday who said about the England match something like "85 quid to watch this lot, I'd be asking for my money back".

In truth Quillan - a rebuild, especially from afresh is a long affair and Johnston needs time. This is tough on the avid English fans who must pay extortionate tickets prices (IMHO) but it'll come. Johnston does have the ability to draw the best out of those who are associated with him and he'll come good. More's the pity for us of course.

I said earlier in this thread, that if Ireland can rid themselves of this monkey on their back, they can go all the way and the last match is Wales against Ireland in Cardiff. Its set up for a classic finale.

Finally, if you've been to Dublin for the England Ireland matches you'll know that we'll slag the living daylights out of you, as we hand you a pint of Liffy juice. Sure it'd be worth that alone. [;-)]

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

Finally, if you've been to Dublin for the England Ireland matches you'll know that we'll slag the living daylights out of you, as we hand you a pint of Liffy juice. Sure it'd be worth that alone. [;-)]

[/quote]

Its many a year since I have been to Dublin. I hear the match ticket will be a small price in comparison to the cost of a good night out. Tell me, "in Dublin fair city are the maids still pretty" [;-)] . Fortunately its not football and its all good humoured banter plus we can give as good as we take. I'm really looking forward to it and seeing the new ground for the first time, I hear its really super dooper.

Good had a good game (sorry) apart from the kicking that is, puts Johnston on the spot a bit, who to select for the next match. I think Tate should have come on a bit earlier as well. Its all well and good I suppose sitting in front of the telly with your mates and a few beers being critical. Would I have Johnston's job, I don't think so.

Ah Quillan - for dear sake - Dublin is just plain silly. How the divil the folk over there can afford to live is beyond my understanding. I believe its the most expensive city in Europe to visit. How can you square that from a country thats only serious income comes from tourism.

As for Martin Johnston - me neither but I do believe, that he'll do it if he's given time and the twits in the spin media leave him alone to get on with the job.

Aye - and for sure, being an armchair critic doesnt hurt like the playing days did - does it [:D][:D]