Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we have to go down to Reading to give the boys a thrashing (won't be difficult [;-)] ) but good old Ryanair already know the dates (5 or 6 April depending on TV coverage) and have racked the prices well up from both Carcassonne and Perpignan. You could have got a flights for 1.99 before they anounced the dates then it shot up to 99.99 plus tax each way. Think I will stay at home and watch it on the telly down the local bar.

Frankly, on this season's performances and away from Aime Giral I don't give Perpignan much hope. Having said that none of the teams in the quarters - including the Cherry and Whites are in good form. Sarries look a bit flaky at times; Ospreys blow hot and cold and without Mr Lewis reffing are very beatable. Munster were well outplayed at Clermont although their spirit kept them in with a shout. If you take Toulouse on up front they are not so hot. They need broken play ball to get their backs going. My semi predictions:

Gloucester, Toulouse, Sarries and Irish. As I live in Albi a semi against Toulouse down this way would be nice.

Sadly I have to agree with you about Perpignan's away matches and on previous form was quite excited when they won at the weekend. Having said that the French have a habit as a nation of 'turning it on' in the second half. Of course the other handicap we have is water, we don't like it, we don't have it and we and have little experience playing in it. Apparently there is talk, should we get through, of the next game being in Barcelona, it being the capital of Catalonia. Not to sure about the logic behind that except that a third of Perpignans stade is still having the new stands built.

I think if there was a semi at Toulous we would probably go. Albi, we (Quillan) have a match over your way at Luc Primaube next Sunday.

raindog wrote

[quote]I must say, the quality of play in the Heinekin Cup has become so good that I get more enjoyement out of it than the 6N.
Almost all cracking games imo.
No wonder the southern hemi is jelous....
[/quote]

Exakery - and that is why the IRB fudged the Pumas issue. They hadnt the guts to do the right thing.

As for the results and matches, its been a decent tournament so far but now its do or die stuff so the rugby will get better and more attacking (I hope). Dont write Munster off though plod they are no easy roll over and despite my dislike of ROBOT O'Gara he can, in a red shirt, produce the goods. O'Connell is a problem for them though.

And finally, Ulster have awoken to smell the coffee (albeit cold and stale by now). We gave a good account of oursleves against you guys plod and while the result was never really in any doubt, at least we produced closer to our normal game than we have done all season. Tindall is sharp though isnt he [:(]

raindog you were up and about early this morning squire [;-)]

The quality of rugby in the H Cup has been excellent. I fear the Six Nations will be more like the RWC and teams will play safety rugby and hope to kick penalties.

We definitely do not underestimate Munster, and we are creaking a bit at the moment with both our first choice locks out. Big game on Saturday against Pests who will be smarting after being booted out of the H Cup.

Judging by the majority of Shed Web posters - no he isn't. He can be really good, quick and incisive but I think those days are largely behind him. There aren't really any decent full-backs in English rugby at the moment. Best of a mediocre bunch perhaps. Tait, by all accounts, had a 'mare at Leicester.

Good morning lads - thought I'd better pay a wee visit or me mucker raindog will be fair weathering me again.[;-)]

Is it just me or do you feel the same - which is a little less enthused about the 6N's this year. Maybe its after the RWC or because the heiny is still on or both but I just dont feel the buzz this year.

That said, I'm watching the games this weekend at our place with 2 Sasonachs - one of them a Glaws man too. Should be fun Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Irelands Call will be heard for miles around [:D][:D]

I always get excited about the 6N but worry that the games will be all about "field position" (there was no such thing when I played!) pressure and penalties. Warren Gatland is trying to put pressure on refs and players - typical NZ ploy but it didn't do them any good in the RWC. I think England should beat Wales, and Ireland Italy but I'm not so sure about France. They've got two uncapped props and an uncapped fly-half so the pressure will be on.

Christ, that second half from England has got to be some of the worst international rugby i've ever seen. And we were right to worry about Balshaw - he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights before that last try. Replace him with Lewsey, play Mathew Tait at centre, get rid of Wilko and play Cipriani and while we're at it let's ditch Ashton - call that selecting?

I'm off to have a skinfull.....

[quote user="raindog"]Christ, that second half from England has got to be some of the worst international rugby i've ever seen. And we were right to worry about Balshaw - he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights before that last try. Replace him with Lewsey, play Mathew Tait at centre, get rid of Wilko and play Cipriani and while we're at it let's ditch Ashton - call that selecting?
I'm off to have a skinfull.....
[/quote]

Just noticed your doppelganger - Bluedigga from Languedoc

I've just about recovered.

Awful Ireland / Italy game, but at least the Irish dogged it out.

As for England - words fail me.  Wales deserved it, but let's face it, weren't that good.  It's as if Ashton said at HT (very gently), "Well you've done quite well so far chaps, perhaps if you can see your way clear to just run up a few more points in the next 40 mins".  We actually sit at the bottom of the table as things stand.

Allez les Bleus tomorrow, though it's by no means a foregone conclusion.  Shock horror - if Scotland win, they and the Welsh will be crowing about the certainty of Grand Slams, etc, etc.  More than flesh & blood can stand.