Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

It might actually be a BLOODY good game tomorrow. Either way - I firmly believe that the winner will take the cup. Good luck to everyone tomorrow and may my hangover be soft and gentle (ish). [:D]

[/quote]

Yeah, have a good one ulster. Don't care anymore who wins. Just want a good hard game!

See you later for post match analysis.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

It's not yet 7pm Sat so game hasn't yet started- My SA journalist friend is predicting, apparently he predicted this weeks ago,  that it will be  SA vs France in the finals.

Doubtless I will  be shot down here for this

Enjoy it - whatever happens!

Tegwini

Wadyamean Merde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We won and beat the others fair and square. We have a one upon you with this Twinks. Who ever won tonight was OK with us, we just thought that it was a shame that they didn't meet in the final. Enjoyed the game, just a shame there had to be a looser!![:(]

[quote user="raindog"]YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Perhaps slightly 'over the top', but not a million miles away from the texts that I've just sent UK-wide!  In truth, I used just 2 or 3 fewer 'e's, 'a's and 'h's.

Have rung neighbour - not at home ?!!!!!   Forecast - tomorrow in the village, nobody will have seen the game (with friends, gone to bed, combination of the two).

Seriously, it was anybody's game.  Equal pack dominance, same in the backs.  Either side could have won it.  We'll take the win, but hard on the French.

MOTM - Jason R  (just so reliable, but Lewsey's try didn't hurt, did it?)   

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="raindog"]YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Perhaps slightly 'over the top', but not a million miles away from the texts that I've just sent UK-wide!  In truth, I used just 2 or 3 fewer 'e's, 'a's and 'h's.

Have rung neighbour - not at home ?!!!!!   Forecast - tomorrow in the village, nobody will have seen the game (with friends, gone to bed, combination of the two).

Seriously, it was anybody's game.  Equal pack dominance, same in the backs.  Either side could have won it.  We'll take the win, but hard on the French.

MOTM - Jason R  (just so reliable, but Lewsey's try didn't hurt, did it?)   

[/quote]

Absolutely , Robinson was amazing. The packs equaled each other out, so it was down to good luck. In fact, that's not right because France were awarded an outrageous 3rd penalty which was non existant, but it dosen't matter BECAUSE WE WON!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Wadyamean Merde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We won and beat the others fair and square. We have a one upon you with this Twinks. Who ever won tonight was OK with us, we just thought that it was a shame that they didn't meet in the final. Enjoyed the game, just a shame there had to be a looser!![:(][/quote]

Sure! .........But as you know my dear Jonz  - I'm Welsh through and through but have lived here in France for 18 years,  have a French husband, 'Frelsh' [;-)] daughter and not a drop of English blood in my body.  Even though I have some amazingly wonderful English friends I feel closer to the French. 

Sorry - just the way it is.  The English played a fab game and we all knew that it was going to be a close shave. Cue references to Chabals beard[:)]

Good game for both sides.

Wilkinson should be replaced, he has cost us a few point over the series and he lost 8 points last night. Agreed he finished in style to seal the fate of the French but we can't afford this type of play in the final.

Chabals, well he not such a threat to anyone any more. I loved it when we sat him on his @rse for the first time, the look on his face was total dis-belief and then we did it twice after that. From lion to pussy cat, quite a jump.

South Africa or Argentina, who cares, we can beat either of them. The biggest favour the French did was stop the All Blacks for us.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr         -  congratulations England.

As games go it wasnt pretty but we all knew it would be a forward grind out. MOTM could be many of the English. Gomarsal had a good game as did Wilkinson with some pretty fierce tackling. Robinson was excellent under the high ball but to be honest I thought he was staying out of the contact zone and protecting himself, until that wee darty run in the last 5-10 minutes.

I think that the pack collectively deserve a combined MOTM award. In the first 30-35 mins they soaked up a lot of French pressure and then seemed to step it up and gained the yards hence the ability to bring Wilkinson into the picture.

France were, IMHO, unimaginative and just didnt deserve to be there or win the game. Too much ball sent to Robinson.

And what the fiddle is all this kicking away of possession stuff about.

I still fancy Argentina for an upset (again)

Well, just back after a great night, the game went as predicted, very close but you just feel the French were architects of their own downfall, for some reason they must have thought Robinson could not catch - did they not watch previous games - steady as a rock, even flat on his back calling a mark!! MOM - but as you know I am a big fan of his.  I just loved Vickery's post match interview  - he is like a big happy schoolboy with a wee checky grin - well done the man from Kilkhampton, well done all - next week  - just maybe and it will definetely be champagne, cheers all   

Never mind next week. What about the world championship that will give a new champion today. I mean, this is serious stuff! Plus, it looks as if common sense may be on the rise?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7043184.stm

Looks like our trans Atlantic cousins are  in with a cahnce. Does anyone know if the French team are still based at Abjat sur Bandiat, 14.

Not often that I disagree with Quillan but...

"Wilkinson should be replaced..." has to be a joke. If you look at the England games since that last world cup England have done 30% better with him in the team.

The point is with him in the team the opposition are scared to foul in their own half which makes defending against England that much tougher. Is it coincidence he has played in the last four games which England has won, or that the last match he missed was against South Africa.

Also his defence is great, his (probably try-saving) tackle on Pelous sent the man off the fiels and meant that Chabal who replaced him came on in the second row rather than the back row where he is more dangerous.

Sure Wilkinson (unusually) missed some kicks, but the drop goal 7 minutes from time meant that France had to score a converted try to win which never seemed likely.

Finally who is the record points scorer in all World cups?

GOOD POINT .I EVEN USED TO PREFER FOOTBALL UNTIL JONNY ARRIVED ON THE SCENE.!!

MIND YOU I WAS BORN IN NEWCASTLE!!!!!!!!!!

HOWAY THE LADS -LET'S HAVE THE CUP BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I WAS THE ONLY ENGLISH MAN IN A FRENCH BAR WEARING A NEWCASLE SHIRT LAST NIGHT BUT RETURNED HOME FOR SECOND HALF AS THE GAULOISE CIGARETTE SMOKE  WAS ALMOST KILLING ME AND PERHAPS THE FRENCH WOULD HAVE MADE CERTAIN AT THE END OF THE MATCH HAD I STAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:P][B][6][:)]

Well, it's SA on Saturday.  I wasn't all that impressed with them tonight.  Target their '10' and cut off supply to their nippy wingers and ............ who knows?

The locals answer to our great win last night was for there to be no Sunday papers at the tabac this morning.  Been here 3 yrs and always something, even if a few sections missing.  Either they (the blokes doing the distribution) were otherwise engaged watching the match, or they decided ******** to les rosbifs, they ain't getting their papers today! 

Returning to the original thread that I posted x wks ago, I'm happy to concede that my view has changed over whether any of our players would make a World 1st, 2nd or 3rd XV, delighted as I am that the team has made the final. JW and Sheridan have to go in below:

Thoughts on a RWC 1st XV (on performance in this competition):

Montgomery, Habana, Mortlock, Jauzion, Howlett

Wilkinson, Pichot

Hayman, Smit, Sheridan, Thion, Matfield, Betsen, Collins, Maka 

Any thoughts?

I must say all my French friends were delightful in defeat. I hope I would have been as magnanimous! They thought that England were just too strong and that France were a bit 'mou'. Not sure about that but whatever.

Most seem to want England to win next Saturday as well but I have always found that the French near me like the English which surprises people back in England when I tell them as a lot of English think we are hated by the French. Perhaps I am just lucky around here.

The Allez France flag still flies from the castle walls but looks a bit sad now!

As for next saturday I think we will struggle against SA although I cant see us giving the ball away as cheaply as Argentina last night.

"Il faut croire" as the locals say.

Come on England!

Gardian for what its worth, and based on current form only, I'd select the following

Du Randt - Smit/Reagan - Sheridan - Pelous - Thion - Betson - McCaw - Bonnaire

Elissalde/Gomarsall - Hernandez

Habana - Contepomi - O'Driscoll - Sackey - Montgomery/Corleto

Just for a wee laugh:

The seven dwarfs went off to work in the mine one day, while Snow
White stayed at home to do the housework and cook their lunch.
However when she went to the mine to deliver their lunches, she found
there had been a cave-in, and there was no sign of the dwarfs.
Tearfully she yelled in to the mine entrance, "Hello - is anyone
there..........?

Can anyone hear me.......... ?"

A voice floated up from the bowels of the mine, "England will win the Rugby World Cup."

"Thank God," said Snow White, "at least Dopey's still alive." [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Renaud"]Not often that I disagree with Quillan but... "Wilkinson should be replaced..." has to be a joke. If you look at the England games since that last world cup England have done 30% better with him in the team. The point is with him in the team the opposition are scared to foul in their own half which makes defending against England that much tougher. Is it coincidence he has played in the last four games which England has won, or that the last match he missed was against South Africa. Also his defence is great, his (probably try-saving) tackle on Pelous sent the man off the fiels and meant that Chabal who replaced him came on in the second row rather than the back row where he is more dangerous. Sure Wilkinson (unusually) missed some kicks, but the drop goal 7 minutes from time meant that France had to score a converted try to win which never seemed likely. Finally who is the record points scorer in all World cups?[/quote]

Sadly JW is now at or past his sell by date. Of course he tackles and some of them are good, much better than his kicking. Yes he got the important drop kick at the end but the fact is he still missed 8 points (conversion and two penalties) in the game. He did much the same against Australia as well missing 11 points (1 conversion, 1 penalty and 2 drop goals) then blamed the ball. Bad craftsman and all that come to mind. Believe me if we had lost to France by two points everyone would be singing a different tune and many would point their finger at him.

You also have to remembr he will be opposite Monty (Percy Montgomery) who has missed very few penalties (none against Argentina, 2 conversions and 5 penalties all spot on) and is the highest scorer with 93 points when JW can only just manage 3rd with 61 points.

Still anyway pity the anonymous New Zealand chap (origin yet to be confirmed) who bet 4.2M $ (yes 4.2 Million US Dollars) on the All Blacks winning the world cup this year. He stood to make 2.3M US if they won (plus his stake money of course), I suspect the bookie is now retired somewhere very hot by a pool. and has become a passionate rugby fan [;-)] .

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Renaud"]Not often that I disagree with Quillan but... "Wilkinson should be replaced..." has to be a joke. If you look at the England games since that last world cup England have done 30% better with him in the team. The point is with him in the team the opposition are scared to foul in their own half which makes defending against England that much tougher. Is it coincidence he has played in the last four games which England has won, or that the last match he missed was against South Africa. Also his defence is great, his (probably try-saving) tackle on Pelous sent the man off the fiels and meant that Chabal who replaced him came on in the second row rather than the back row where he is more dangerous. Sure Wilkinson (unusually) missed some kicks, but the drop goal 7 minutes from time meant that France had to score a converted try to win which never seemed likely. Finally who is the record points scorer in all World cups?[/quote]

Sadly JW is now at or past his sell by date. Of course he tackles and some of them are good, much better than his kicking. Yes he got the important drop kick at the end but the fact is he still missed 8 points (conversion and two penalties) in the game. He did much the same against Australia as well missing 11 points (1 conversion, 1 penalty and 2 drop goals) then blamed the ball. Bad craftsman and all that come to mind. Believe me if we had lost to France by two points everyone would be singing a different tune and many would point their finger at him.

You also have to remembr he will be opposite Monty (Percy Montgomery) who has missed very few penalties (none against Argentina, 2 conversions and 5 penalties all spot on) and is the highest scorer with 93 points when JW can only just manage 3rd with 61 points.

Still anyway pity the anonymous New Zealand chap (origin yet to be confirmed) who bet 4.2M $ (yes 4.2 Million US Dollars) on the All Blacks winning the world cup this year. He stood to make 2.3M US if they won (plus his stake money of course), I suspect the bookie is now retired somewhere very hot by a pool. and has become a passionate rugby fan [;-)] .

[/quote]

He may well be past his peak (at which point he was by far the best in the world in his position), but I do not for a minute think he is ready for the knackers yard for quite some time.

There is also the myth/reality that key players generate (eg Jonah Lomo) that influences the way the opposition prepare for a match, the players they select and the tactics they chose.

J W is a match winner who performs well under top level pressure. It is great to not be dependant on him completely and have options - but to me he earns his place in the team for many reasons.

Bob

Bob W. wrote

There is also the myth/reality that key players generate (eg Jonah

Lomo) that influences the way the opposition prepare for a match, the

players they select and the tactics they chose.

Brings to mind the Thierry Henry situation when everyone said Arsenal were mad to sell him. Look at the Premiership Table now.

[quote user="Bob W."]

J W is a match winner who performs well under top level pressure. It is great to not be dependant on him completely and have options - but to me he earns his place in the team for many reasons.

Bob

[/quote]

I don't have a problem with what he was, he was brilliant (bit like George Best in his day) but the unarguable truth is he does not perform well at the moment, his performance, as I said, is wofully bad compaired to his opposit number in the final. Quite frankly Monty will get a full house and JW won't, all the matches in the series proves this. Don't forget Monty only needs 11 points to get past JW as the person with the most points in a word cup.

Well all I can say is if we loose and JW does not perform then my hunch is right.