Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

[quote user="plod"]Although I think it unlikely that England will beat Australia, in a one-off game anything is possible. However, do you think it would be a bad thing for the future of English rugby if we were to win - papering over cracks etc?[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree re papering over the cracks.

However ............... it is the Aussies & I'd settle for the win.

Whoever (Moodie?) plays 7 for us is going to have that lad Berwick in his sights! 

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced about Farrel. But either way, England can win this if they do two things.

1 - believe in themselves collectively (something they have forgotten to do since the departure of Woodward and Johnston) and

2 - if they shove their gumshileds down the throats of the Aussies and play the sort of rugby that they do so well week in and week out in the GP.

If they want it they can do it. The Aussies are so up tight about revenge that they are vunerable. Go for it lads. Put it up to them.

Agreed UR99.

I'd like to see Flood given a runout, but it's a bit daunting.  Bet he'll go for Catty and wouldn't blame him. We'll give em a game and as said before, funnier things have happened.

Our son told me tonight that Laporte isn't playing Pointrenaud at 15, nor Domenici on the wing.  What's he on?

Mike Catt has the head, and shoulders, of 2 top Pros. I'd have in any team of mine for another 4 years.

Re Laportes selection try this article - I think he has chosen well and I hope so too. I'd love to see a French win and keep the Northern Hemisphere in there. And wouldnt a French Argentinian final be a great prospect.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2015949.html#laporte+full+surprises

Laporte has had crticism about this. Maybe he thinks France are the underdogs in this match and they have nothing to lose, so why not try something radical.

Do England have any choice but to play Catt outside Wilko? Trouble is, he hasn't played since the SA match - sometimes this selection business is beyond me.

sharkhunter - sorry but who is saying that no BRITISH team wouldnt make it into the final. We are debating (in a proper and serious rugby discussion and not some ex-pat nationalistic utterances) what we perceive to be the realistic outcomes of the QF's based on recent form and results so far. Strangely enough its also the thoughts of nearly every rugby pundit and journo from both hemishpers.

Most of have said thus far that anything can happen on the day, and with Catt, Robinson and Wilkinson all starting its all to play for. BUT form says otherwise. Its got naff all to do with nationality.

Australia can be just as vunerable, as are the All Blacks, and we have seen the AB's choke on more than one major World Cup stage. France have just as much chance of beating the AB's as England has of beating the Walabies. But present form doesnt show this.

BUT it'll be a dry sunny week in Ulster when Scotland beat the Pumas. Patterson is often their saviour but he will be closed down by the Argentinian pack and his kicking skills will be practiced from 40 plus metres. The Contepomi brothers will run rings round their defence and the Scottish pack will be no match for the Pumas might, physicality and speed. Pichot and Hernamdez will cut them wide open. Lambs to the slaughter - just like they did against us and deservedly so.

Rant over [:$]

I hope the All Blacks win only because I like them to do the Haka and my bro is married to a kiwi... what a semi!

Isnt it ironic that the French are playing the QF in Cardiff - me thinks the french believed they would win their group ......

not implying that the french are arrogant or anything :-)

Am shocked England won, but well done.

Deby

One of the two best matches of the cup (the other was Wales Fiji) and well worth the price of the ticket.

The reason France is playing in Cardiff is because Wales did a deal with France. Basically Wales voted for France if they got a few matches as well. Politics I am afraid. Still it did back fire on France. Bon chance France and they need it.

And, if anyone had a bet on for England to win against Australia then your loyalty is well rewarded.

My OH has just read a report that said that France are glad that the match is in Wales. It will take some of the pressure off of them.

Sounds logical to me and if they go out there with nowt to loose they could just do it.

What I would love to see is a team that has just been subjected to the Hacker ("Yes Prime Minister?") turn their backs to the NZs and do a team 'moon'[6][:-))][:P]!!!

Did you see the English pack? What a great day!! The Aussies couldn't scrummage at all and should've been sanctioned more than they were, and I reckon we weren't far off a penalty try early in the second half.

ENGLAAAAND...ENGLAAAAND....

Right, I'm off for a drink....

PS all we need now is some backs to go with the forwards.

[quote user="Deby"]

I hope the All Blacks win only because I like them to do the Haka and my bro is married to a kiwi... what a semi!

Isnt it ironic that the French are playing the QF in Cardiff - me thinks the french believed they would win their group ......

[/quote]

My sister is married to a Kiwi and I've been teasing him all day with silly text messages.  The first one was "We wish you and the All Greys the best of luck tonight" to which he replied that he was feeling very sorry for the little frogs!

I then spoke to my sister and she passed me onto her OH.  I told him that I wasn't aware that women were allowed to play on the New Zealand squad (I was refering to the one with the braids and the weird eyebrows - what's that all about?).  He informed me that whenever they play against France they always send over their womens team[:)]

What a match!

Am off to watch the French match tonight at the local auberge, if they manage to beat the all blacks it'll be electric for the semi's.   They take their rugby very seriously here (although I'm not sure that serious is a word that can be associated with some of the locals...)

20070907_0789.jpg Damien, rugby world cup picture by Catinfrance46

I really think that a few moments of quiet and careful reflection is required for our late-departed opponents - the Wallabies.  I, for one, know that I'll be thinking of them as they board that plane and heading back to Ozz.

Bloody great !!!!!!!!!!!

Now .............. Allez les Bleus tonight.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

I'm not convinced about Farrel. But either way, England can win this if they do two things.

1 - believe in themselves collectively (something they have forgotten to do since the departure of Woodward and Johnston) and

2 - if they shove their gumshileds down the throats of the Aussies and play the sort of rugby that they do so well week in and week out in the GP.

If they want it they can do it. The Aussies are so up tight about revenge that they are vunerable. Go for it lads. Put it up to them.

[/quote]

Oh and by the way, UR99 was spot on!