Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

Well not a bad game last night and improving slowely, whether it will be enough who knows, all will have to turn up and play their hearts out and that still may not be enough as the aussies do look good so far.   I do hope Jason Robinson gets over his problem, as I would love to see him play and dazzle us once more in what could well be his final game.   So I will stack the fridge and get me curry ready and let battle commence.   Oh and good luck to the Welsh, Scots and Irish guys over the weekend, bring it on.   All we want is pride and passion, to much to ask??

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally watched the game this morning and England's first try was pure genius. Some great open play from both sides, which was surprising considering the ball was wet for most of the game. Best England play i've seen since we beat France in the last 6Ns. Paul Sackey gaining in confidence in every game, even though that second try was from Tonga fumbling the ball. Good to see Tait get something too at last. Can't wait for Marseille!

Some other great crunch games this week end - bring it on![:D]

Watched it via "Broken Biscuit Company's" (BBC) web site and report. Our haunted fish tank is strictly French terrestial stuff and as channel 1 is sharing the coverage with Eurosport, i.e. TF1 get 1/4, Eurosprot 3/4 of the games, this was not seen by us. BUT what a tremendous game!

[quote user="Bluebells"]cant believe you did not watch it, as Michael Lynagh said after wards one of best games ever, just brilliant, hope you got it taped [/quote]

I COULDN'T watch it! As i've explained, TF1 have only shown a handfull of pool games. No England match last night, no games today. Disgracefull.[:@]

Someone asked why southern hemispere teams do better...

well,  I don't know much about NZ or Oz, but I lived in SA for 24 years & taught there for more than 10 years, and the skill, training, interest & winning spirit begins at school - this doesn't just include rugby either.  SA's population that plays sport is a lot less than the UK- and generally rugby is mainly played by whites  & some mixed race peoples (Coloureds). Some Africans do play, but the Africans much prefer football.   So the population  the SA rugby selectors can select from  are much, much  smaller than the UK- possibly around 5- 10 million, by contrast England has about 50 million people.

At my school in Natal SA ALL pupils (and teachers) HAD  to take part in the extra-mural  activities after school and Saturdays.  This meant mainly sport.  My school had a first & second rugby team, and junior teams. There was competition to be in a team, colours were and are awarded for achievement in sport.  Hence, some effort was put in by most.  And, failure to attend practice or a match could lead to punishment too. It was also considered important also for academic achievement - a healthy body  etc ...   And, SA kids have to have a certain spark, it's a hard country in places, with a difficult history, no 'wimps' - or not very many,  lots of achievers.. A bit a killer instinct goes a long way, and it's in SA sportmen & women, who seem to achieve in many sports - and in other fields too.  You can ofen pick out the SA accent on TV & radio of a high-flyer from SA.

Contrast this with UK schools.   I have been teaching here, in a number of schools, not in inner London, but in the rich shires of southern England for nearly a decade. Very little happens after school, few fixtures, nil on Saturdays,  no colours for sports, no pushing of kids into taking up a sport or other activity at all.    And,  in SA  I was in a state school which ran on the 'smell of an oil rag'!  we didn't even have a gym!  Contrast  the  UK, some  even have attached sports centres-   the lot! 

Given the diaspora of  South Africans over the last  few decades, it's a surprise to me they can still field a winning team.

I've been a bit long-winded, sorry,  but it's a bit complex,  but so clear to me.

[quote user="tegwini"]

well,  I don't know much about NZ or Oz, but I lived in SA for 24 years & taught there for more than 10 years, and the skill, training, interest & winning spirit begins at school - this doesn't just include rugby either.  SA's population that plays sport is a lot less than the UK- and generally rugby is mainly played by whites  & some mixed race peoples (Coloureds). Some Africans do play, but the Africans much prefer football.   So the population  the SA rugby selectors can select from  are much, much  smaller than the UK- possibly around 5- 10 million, by contrast England has about 50 million people.

At my school in Natal SA ALL pupils (and teachers) HAD  to take part in the extra-mural  activities after school and Saturdays.  This meant mainly sport.  My school had a first & second rugby team, and junior teams. There was competition to be in a team, colours were and are awarded for achievement in sport.  Hence, some effort was put in by most.  And, failure to attend practice or a match could lead to punishment too. It was also considered important also for academic achievement - a healthy body  etc ...   And, SA kids have to have a certain spark, it's a hard country in places, with a difficult history, no 'wimps' - or not very many,  lots of achievers.. A bit a killer instinct goes a long way, and it's in SA sportmen & women, who seem to achieve in many sports - and in other fields too.  You can ofen pick out the SA accent on TV & radio of a high-flyer from SA.

Contrast this with UK schools.   I have been teaching here, in a number of schools, not in inner London, but in the rich shires of southern England for nearly a decade. Very little happens after school, few fixtures, nil on Saturdays,  no colours for sports, no pushing of kids into taking up a sport or other activity at all.    And,  in SA  I was in a state school which ran on the 'smell of an oil rag'!  we didn't even have a gym!  Contrast  the  UK, some  even have attached sports centres-   the lot! 

Given the diaspora of  South Africans over the last  few decades, it's a surprise to me they can still field a winning team.

I've been a bit long-winded, sorry,  but it's a bit complex,  but so clear to me.

[/quote]

That's great, except England are still the world champions, at least for a couple more weeks.

[quote user="tegwini"]

well,  I don't know much about NZ or Oz, but I lived in SA for 24 years & taught there for more than 10 years, and the skill, training, interest & winning spirit begins at school - this doesn't just include rugby either. 

It was also considered important also for academic achievement - a healthy body  etc ...   And, SA kids have to have a certain spark, it's a hard country in places, with a difficult history, no 'wimps' - or not very many,  lots of achievers.. A bit a killer instinct goes a long way, and it's in SA sportmen & women, who seem to achieve in many sports - and in other fields too. [/quote]

Tegwini ...........

To me, your objective analysis sums it up.  Our elder son visited SA with our future DIL 8 mths ago and said how impressed they were with the country and it's outlook. By no means perfect of course, but beginning to get there.

Anyway, poor old Wales, lucky old Scotland, and good on us.  Ireland will need a miracle. 

I thought the last Wales game was one of the best in the series so far and well worth the price of the ticket, it kept you one the edge of the seat till the end and there was some fantastic rugby played. As to Ireland needing some luck well unfortunately they didn't get any but then they were out played by a much better team. Never mind, England will be following them on the 6th that's for sure unless there is some form of divine intervention.

Yes, it was better, but I'm sure you'd concede that they're a good side: more than just a 'beefy' pack.  Well deserved win and they won all 4 of their group matches.  Pichot superb.

I was pleased - not just because they deserved it, but because I reckon that France is the only side capable of giving the AB's a fright in Cardiff.  It might just happen.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Yes, it was better, but I'm sure you'd concede that they're a good side: more than just a 'beefy' pack.  Well deserved win and they won all 4 of their group matches.  Pichot superb.

I was pleased - not just because they deserved it, but because I reckon that France is the only side capable of giving the AB's a fright in Cardiff.  It might just happen.

[/quote]

France have done it in the past, but this time I can't see it happening. Surely the ABs are still favourites to win the tournement.

I was lucky enough to be in Nantes for the Fiji vs Wales game on Saturday. For a neutral it was brilliantlly entertaining.

One of the guys with us had never been anywhere near a Rugby game before, having been brought up exclusively on football. He couldn't stop talking about how well behaved, friendly and courteous Rugby supporters are (and of course like fish after the game)

Gardian the Pumas deserved to win all of their games. They were one of the few teams, thus far, to have 100% commitment, 100% passion and 100% absolute belief. AS I said earlier they could go much further yet and that will create ripples of fear from the big boys.

As for France, I think I'm already of record as saying that they could do it and retain the WC in the Northern Hemisphere and the mighty All Blacks always have the potential to choke, as history has shown.

Ireland need help and handing Comical Eddie a 4 year contract months before the WC, following a disastrous warm up session in both Argentina and here in France, has to be the most crass thing that Lansdowne Roads wise old owls have ever done.

Good luck to Argentina, well deserved, pleasure (partly) to watch and a lift to see really passionate rugby football for a change.

Although I think it unlikely that England will beat Australia, in a one-off game anything is possible. However, do you think it would be a bad thing for the future of English rugby if we were to win - papering over cracks etc?

Jason Robinson should return to play full back too. I was never a fan of the Farrell 'experiment' but have to admit when he came on for the last 30 minutes against Tonga he looked pretty impressive. Maybe he'll be starting outside Wilco instead of Barcley, who has looked very mediocre in the last games.

As we keep pointing out, anything can happen in rugby - England could well spring a surprise next saturday

(but i'm not holding my breath)[:)]

Maybe so, but a suporter is what he (she) is and there are good and bad times, on Saturday at 3, once more the fridge will groan with beer, the curry pot will bubble, anything heavy will be taken away from my grasp and all around me will put on their muffs.   Let battle commence and just maybe Jason Robinson will scream in for the winning try, well you gotta have faith!!

Well  I suppose I have been playing or around the rugby world for so long, old habits die hard, rather that than 'dont look at my expensive nails or I might cry' (football).   I am of the Dean Richards school of thought, a couple of fags and a pint at half time and what on earth is this training all about!!   The game has moved on and I guess it had to (for the women,  I think all those toned up bodies - more audience) but it still means at the whistle 30 determined guys toe to toe, do or die, what a game!!