Button joins McLaren, Doh! Done it wrong again Dad!

just john

For what it is worth, my take is that:

1. Button, realising that people don't genuinly regard him as a 'great' world champion, wants to front up to hamilton in equal machinery in a vain hope of matching him and therby gaining credibility. This in my humble opinion is a big mistake since the car set up is around Hamilton (bags of corrective oversteer) instead of Button (balance verging on understeer bias), so ther

y are not in equal machinery at all. Hamiliton will be licking his lips.

2. Schumacher said last autumn that he couldn't return because his neck is knackered, so I am more inclined to think this is just fantasy press.

[quote user="baypond"] This in my humble opinion is a big mistake since the car set up is around Hamilton (bags of corrective oversteer) instead of Button (balance verging on understeer bias), so ther
y are not in equal machinery at all. Hamiliton will be licking his lips.
[/quote]

They will be able to set up the cars to suit each drivers style/preference, whether one particular way is better is very dependant on the which circuit they are on at the time. Button is a much smoother driver so quicker in some areas, whereas Hamilton has a phenominal feel for his cars grip (which he over estimated several times this season). With all the new changes for the start of next year its anbody's guess Vettel is very quick.

My take is that Jenson is fully aware of the benefits of staying with Brawn, but saw a C change in Brawn and Fry when Mercedes became involved, and could have felt that having dropped salary and showed his commitment, and then winning the title, that that would have got due reward and respect; perhaps thinking that those things were missing with the incoming MB involvement and with McLaren champing at the bit, I think it gave him the challenge to make the move. I think McLaren and Button are serious enough to make it work. Who knows, maybe McLaren feel Hamilton might consider moving and want to demonstrate other drivers are available, McLaren must be in a state after spygate, Ryan liegate, and MB dumping them.

Whatever spin is put on it MB didn't consolidate with McLaren but went elsewhere, when sugar Daddy goes for a new model, (even continuing to pick up the tab for a reduced lifestyle) I think that's a short-time step from a sugar pill to no pill at all. Everybody is putting a polite spin on it but the separation had already begun, Mercedes offer Aston technical deal http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/Aston-Martin-and-Mercedes-to-strike-30m-deal/ and Mclaren drop the Mercedes engine from its new MP4-12C road car[;-)]

The move allows Mercedes to have its own brand to the fore, rather than subservient to the McLaren brand, for a fraction of the cost of what they have spent in the past on F1, thanks to the resource restriction agreement - James Allen

[quote user="just john "]

and Mclaren drop the Mercedes engine from its new MP4-12C road car[;-)]

[/quote]

Work has been going on for a long time for the new Maclaren road engine, you wait till you see the performance and economy figures and you will realise why the change, even if it only meets half of the design spec it will still seem to have come from another planet.