SHOOTING CLUBS

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think the link and your response illustrate the point. Although it wouldn't be  language I might have chosen the link shows that language has evolved in such a way that the word ponce could be posted and not mean what you thought it did at all.

Let's face it, with my Christian name I have an interest in this stuff, language has evolved and given my name a couple of meanings that I daresay were nowhere in my mothers mind when she chose it.[;-)] 

[/quote]

I am also interested in language and collect dictionaries. So are you suggesting that when we use words we specify which obscure dictionary definition we are using?

I think you may be pushed to make any of the dubious definitions you have found fit the sentence Sharkhunter used and make sense. Maybe you are suggesting his post is gibberish?

Maybe you should research the modern legal definition of the word 'offence'.

I have no idea what your first given name is or if your mother is a Christian. Surely she didn't call you Ponce?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all have to accept that we may take a different meaning from a word than the author intended on occasion, some words evolve and like Stephen Fry I suspect the English language is all the richer for it.

My mother called be by a name that is often used to denote homosexuals, and sometimes has other meanings too..let's just say I'm not in queue for a personal number plate [;-)]

RH wrote; [quote]..let's just say I'm not in (the) queue for a personal number plate..[/quote]

...who with any sense or taste is?[:D]  Not sure if you both intended it, but, for some odd reason, your post RH, and Dogs last one made me laugh out loud!  Thank you both![:D]

[url]http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK348&q=ponce+christian+name&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=[/url]

[quote user="Dog"]

One of the men that committed suicide had asked the police to take his guns away.[/quote]

So, blame the police then: not the gun.

[quote]It is impossible to have insight into the mind of a person that takes his own life but often it would seem the easiest way out is used.[/quote]

Which is normally a combination of booze and prescription drugs, Mate.

[quote]I wasn't blaming the gun[/quote]

Good to learn that reality slowly percolates through.

[quote] but as a guns major use is for death and destruction it was just doing what it was made for.[/quote]

Nope. Sadly, wrong again.

The basic idea for guns is to prevent others, usually bigger and stronger, from causing you harm.

It is the standard threat element of any weapon of prevention.

Just because insane power mad rulers early on exploited guns in all forms to fulfil their dreams, doesnt mean guns as such are designed and made purely to kill and maim.

As any time served serious professional military person will assure you, killing people is the last thing they wish to do: its the ultimate reality when all else has failed.

[quote] The parents like many others may have thought that allowing access to guns would make them a better person like gun owners do. I am sure they would not have purposefully let this act take place.[/quote]

Children of that age are not allowed to possess shotguns and ammunition: they are allowed to shoot, but only with adult supervision: the earliest age a person in the UK can apply for a firearms license is 14, for rifles etc. There is no lower age limit for applying for a shotgun license.

However, children under 15 are simply not allowed to use a shotgun without adult supervision.

Thus what I stated earlier stands. Parental rather than gun problem.

As is so much today.

[quote]Currently 20 year olds in UK can drink alchohol they can also drive a car after passing a test.[/quote]

Er no. A provisional Driving License can be issued on a persons 17th birthday. If they could take and pass both the theory and practical; test in days, then in theory, then they can own and drive a car at 17

Drinking:

5 years old or over.(in private)

16 years old or over in a pub or restaurant with a table meal as long as an adult purchases the alcohol (no adult is required to be present in Scotland)

18 years old or over.(pubs, bars, restaurants, off-licences etc.)

Where do you dig up all this nonsense you write mate?

[quote]I realise your blind love of guns entrances you and it may be difficult to see that your chosen love is not all what she seems.[/quote]

I don't love guns: I don't have any and have never ever owned a gun. I used to shoot a bit years ago but haven't for many many years.

What I do try and stand up for is fact and reality: rather than the bleeding hearts emotional and grossly inaccurate stuff you write.

[quote]You have obviously not realised that the primary use of a kite is not to kill, maim and destroy.

[/quote]

Yeah?

Ancient and medieval Chinese sources list other uses of kites for measuring distances, testing the wind, lifting men, signaling, and communication for military operations

Thus one of the main reasons the Chinese developed kites was for military operations aimed at killing people!

Nice hobby you have there then Mate!

[quote]People just do not go postal with kites or knives come to that.[/quote]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/8/newsid_2496000/2496685.stm

Sharkhunter calm down...

Think a bit - do you really think mental illness is caused by booze and drugs?

You have done reasonably well in your research (it was after all you who thought 20 year olds cannot drive).

You are really going to get paranoid now you realise kites may be dangerous and there is no age limit - you will have to buy lots of guns to be safer. Your research is not at all conclusive and leaves out many other aggressive uses for kites.

If you are interested in facts why ignore the fact that killings with guns is higher in countries where guns can be legally owned?

Kites are flown for relaxation and fun, they cannot be used to hold up shopkeepers, drug dealers don't have a quad kite on hand to settle scores and if a kite owner looses face or finds his wife is unfaithful he is unlikely to reach for some cotton, tissue paper and bamboo that weighs less than 12 grams - while the gun owner has a ready made killing device that needs no strength or skill to use.

Chill out - guns are inherently nasty pieces of work - you can kid yourself all you want but guns will not make the world a better place.

You are misguided in your thoughts - for the kites I fly you do not need a lot of wind - they fly in very very low winds and at great distance. They can be flown in zero wind but not at a great distance.

Gun owners seem very threatened that anyone should suggest a ban on gun ownership.

If you like making holes in paper why not get a hole punch, you can buy plastic ones that will fit in your top pocket, or if you like technology and want the best get a paper drill you can make holes in 500 sheets at once, maybe more especially if you buy thinner paper - they even have multiple headed drills - just think 6 holes at a time! There is even skill involved if you drill too fast or with a blunt drill the paper can brown and the drill breaks. It would be a great replacement for target shooting as it is more difficult to set up and make repeated accurate holes. It would also be more useful for society and less people would lose their lives.

I would gladly give up my kites if kites were responsible for anywhere near the amount of people that lose their lives at the hand of gun users.

Dear Mr. Dog

You have consistently disrupted this thread. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question about the whereabouts of shooting ranges in the Aude. In case you do not know shooting (pistol, rifle and clay target) is recognised as a Olympic discipline but as far as I can gather “kite flying” is not. Now might I suggest that you use some, if not all of the hot air that appears to issue from your person to help you fly your kite a little bit higher and perhaps some day you may gain international recognition. In the meantime why don’t you be a good little doggy and take your bone and get into your kennel and stop boring us. [:D]

To all concerned, if we ignore dog ( and his bone )and do not reply to his postings then he will wither away, hopefully. Of all the posters on this thread he is the antagonist, even mixed up my posts with another posters posting and blamed me for posting stuff i did not write, read em back.

Signing off, as far as dog is concerned least wise, sharkhunter.

[quote user="JMB"]

Dear Mr. Dog

You have consistently disrupted this thread. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question about the whereabouts of shooting ranges in the Aude. In case you do not know shooting (pistol, rifle and clay target) is recognised as a Olympic discipline but as far as I can gather “kite flying” is not. Now might I suggest that you use some, if not all of the hot air that appears to issue from your person to help you fly your kite a little bit higher and perhaps some day you may gain international recognition. In the meantime why don’t you be a good little doggy and take your bone and get into your kennel and stop boring us. [:D]

[/quote]

Are you suggesting that guns are good because they have somehow got into the olympics. It could be that the kind of kite flying I enjoy is too difficult and it doesn't put lots of money into international armament companies.

Guns somehow fully envelope the minds of their owners - throw them away and see life - try a kite!