Horse riding

Mrs C

Hello everybody...   I'm new!

My daughter is interested in starting to learn to ride a horse, I would like to know a rough guide to the costs involved and also if she needs a licence before she starts.

Can anyone help with this please?

It's a long while since I had a lesson, and never in France.  However, you should start on THIS WEBSITE

Find your nearest Poney Club (honest!) by popping your location in the box on THIS PAGE

and go from there.  If you stick to a Club which is registered then your daughter should at least be as safe as is possible.  No need for any special kit at this stage apart from a good hat (don't spare any money on this) and a pair of boots with low heels and a sole which will slide readily in a stirrup.

I don't know about the license issue but the website and the poney club will tell you all you need to know.  If you are in any doubt about a poney club (the animals/facilities/saddlery etc are in a poor state) then leave and move on. 

Welcome, btw.

You don't say where you are Mrs C and I suppose it does vary in different locations. In SE Dordogne there are several good riding schools which teach at various levels. A good one near me will provide hats and boots although I agree with Cooperlola about providing your own. Generally speaking I've been impressed with the quality of the horses I've seen.

Hoddy

I think it's OK to borrow a hat once or twice just to be sure your daughter is going to enjoy riding (not everybody does when they finally get on top of a horse!) but I always advise having your own as once one  has taken a good knock it is worse than useless.  Also, a hat that doesn't fit can be lethal. 

Many thanks for your advice, it is a good web-site and there are a few poney clubs nearby so I will do some more investigating. I appreciate the advice about the hats too, but if she can borrow for the first time that will be good.

Mr C it appears we are in the same postcode, perhaps we can meet for coffee?