Rugby Just Gets Better

I now understand! Wales were taken apart and even the worse one-eyed Welsh guy would agree. For years and years I continue to say that we flatter to deceive and when we think we are getting somewhere we go back. One would like to think that playing with the red jersey on and in the stadium we have we would at least enter into the spirit of it!

However my sport and it has always been such is cricket and I have been fortunate to be involved with such greats as Viv Richards and the like. Or should I now say as I look at the signed watercolour here in my study Sir Viv Richards.

On this point I asked the other day when was the last time that England had three South African born players in their side?

It was probably the 2 Smith brothers and Allan Lamb.  Mind you there have for many years been players playing for England  that were born in other countries, like Nawab of Pataudi (Indian born) amongst many others. Colin Cowdrey was born in South Africa as was Len Hutton's son Richard.  Even Geoff Boycott might say that he was born in Yorkshire, not England[:D]  If it achieves success, bring em in....like we did to Zola Budd (who I watched break the world record at Crystal Palace) though as she didn't win Olympic Gold we let her go back to SA.

There are most likely plenty of players playing for English teams that were born in other countries, like rugby player Mike Catt for example, and footballer Owen Hargreaves.

Edited  Dragonrouge wrote However my sport and it has always been such is cricket

Welsh villages have been quite successful in the National Village Championships at Lords with Marchwiel winning in 1980 and 84, St Fagans in 1991 and Ynysgwern beaten finalists in 1979.

There's also many players who played for the Republic of Ireland in football who are English. Andy Townsend, Lee Carsley, Ray Houghton just being three off the top of my head.

Tennis is a weird one though. I remember a young Australian female tennis player about 10 years ago, played in the Davis Cup for Australia, then didn't like the set up or had a bust up or something. So she changed her nationality and played for her new country. Not often you hear of someone representing two countries.

[quote user="Richard"]Really? Wow, I thought video ref's were a definite no go and not up for discussion. I await with baited breath....[/quote]

Well having read the report HERE on the 'special' meeting it seems the only consistency with Fifa is its inconsistency. No extra linesmen for the world cup and no video ref either, everything stays as it is. I can't believe, given that it is a committee, that Blatter can just ignore the members. I really think its about time he went.

• 3 weeks later...

Well for me it (rugby) doesn't get better. Last weekend we watch a brilliant performance by USAP against Munster all be it a bit undisciplined at times with regards to USAP which in turn (only just) lost them the game. We were the only team to score tries and if it were not for us giving so many penalties away would have easily won.

So you can imagine how much I was looking forward to yesterday, home ground, the fiercely supportive Catalan supporters, it should have been a rugby feast. Well what a difference a week makes, we were out thought and out played by probably the future winners of the HC. Within a few minutes Munster started to systematically rip our team in to pieces and give us a master class lesson on how to play rugby.

There was one interesting point from the match. As soon as O'Gara was sent off the Munster game changed. Being deprived of his 'magic boot' they had to run the ball, gosh it was thrilling to watch. Now I have to admit (especially having watch O'Gara very close up - about 5M away) one can see why he is one of the best kickers in the world, he really is most excellent but is this the way we want rugby to be played with balls traversing the pitch from one end to another in what can at best be described as a ping pong match. Without this, as we saw yesterday, the game is much different, more exciting to watch and in a way faster (action wise).

Anyway, still licking my wounds, I have to say what a jolly lot the Munster guys (and girls) were. We must have spent about an hour afterwards drinking and chatting with them at the Stade. The only happy thing about the game was the Munster supports giving the Catalans a rendition of "We wish you a merry Christmas" at the end of the game followed by the Catalans thanking them by clapping. If only football matches could be played with such good sporting attitude amongst the fans I might consider going to a game one day.

So only the Super 14's and the French championship is left to play for and hopefully we have learn't enought from the lesson Munster gave us to win both.

[quote user="Quillan"]So only the Super 14's and the French championship is left to play for and hopefully we have learn't enought from the lesson Munster gave us to win both.[/quote]

Morning Quillan - you could, as an alternative, follow Ulster. Could be very uplifting for your soul amongst other things[;-)]. We still have an outside chance, despite our defeat in the bizarre arrangement on saturday, of qualifying for the knock-outs or even the Challenge Cup. So, you could be singing "Stand Up For The Ulstermen" before too long. And very welcome you'd be too. [:D][:D]

We were supposed to be playing Stade Francais in their home game but in Brussels as their ground is under reconstruction yet when Brussels was snowed out, off we trooped to where - Paris for Gods sake. How insane and unfair is that. Our supporters had paid small fortunes to travel and stay in Brussels and then have to cough up loads more to move to Paris where the damn match should have been played in the first place. Lunatics in the ERC. [8-)][:@][8-)]

Once England had a very tough scrum half playing for them and now a good Sky commentator. He was of course born in Wales at Crickhowell and he had a really good English name...........Dewi.

Then of course the clowns at Cardiff organised it that a one-time All Black then playing for Newport by way of his Grannie played for Wales. The documents were false!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Todays the day that rugby could be at its ultimate. Ulster play Bath away and need a win while Edinburgh play Stade Francais in Scotland and we need a win from Edinburgh. If both of these events occur Ulster (depending on points at the end of the day) might just make it into the knock-out stages for the first time since we won the thing in 1999.[B][B]

Stand up for the Ulstermen, stand up for the Ulstermen, Stand up - for the Ulstermen Stand up for the Ulstermen.

[quote user="Gardian"]

So you've won well & the Jocks have beaten the cursed Parisiens - was it enough?

(I hope so, because he'll be unbearable if not [6]) [/quote]

Ah man dear how cruel is that? We give Bath a good seeing to but can only score 3 tries missing out on the bonus point while our celtic cousins hold off Stade Francais who manage to gain a losers bonus point and take pole position in the pool. So another year missed but at least we had a win on English soil which we have never had in the Heiny. [:(][:'(][:(]

Mind you, I'm still sporting a sore head from a wee celebration though [;-)][;-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Well it certainly will know with the first two matches out of the way.

What happened to Ireland? My personal prediction was that they will win the 6 Nations this year ( against the bookies odds who think it will be France) and judging by what some of the rugby 'old boys' have said I was not alone but then we had today's match against Italy. O'Gara was on form again with his golden boot which was about the only sparkling thing in the Irish team. Ireland didn't win the game, Italy lost it through penalties. Before I even watched the England Wales match I thought that if this is how Ireland are going to play with no pressure then bring it on for the England encounter. If Italy were so slow that you could make a cup of cappuccino while you waited for the ball then Ireland could have boiled a kettle, made the tea, let it brew and grow a field of potatoes, I have seen a snail pass a ball quicker than either of these two teams.

England's match I thought was a bit rocky to start and the backs were not as good as promised but then they started to get in their stride. Did Johnson get his choice of team wrong, well the proof is in the result and should silence the 'old boy' critics who have been mouthing off in the press this week. This was a high tension match for both sides, quick ball and thrilling to watch with some excellent tries scored. As for Johnny, well perhaps his time at Toulon has paid off coz 'here comes Johnny'. If you have been to watch the top French teams play in the top domestic league you will know the supporters are not very forgiving and let the players know when they get it wrong. Trying to convert a try or kick a penalty when half the stadium is shouting, screaming, blowing car horns etc is not for the feint hearted and increases ones concentration skills.

So for me the England Ireland match will be interesting and my money will be firmly on England to win that encounter. I think Ireland will fold when real pressure is applied. My prediction now is that this years 6 Nations will go to the wire and I think the France England match ill be the decider and that it will be one of these two who wins the competition.

Tomorrow, Sunday, France v Scotland will also be an interesting match.

At midday, I had a little wager on England (to win the Championship - not the GS!!!) at 9-2.

Nice start. I sort of fancy our chances - but I must have otherwise I wouldn't have had a punt. [8-|]

England promising (Tait better than expected). Wales disappointing - not equal to the sum of the individual parts, if you see what I mean.

Ire vs Italy - best forgotten.

Equally where is Sweet 17? an email to the young lady has bounced and no doubt she would wish to comment upon the lamentable Welsh performance.

All I know that it was awful and equally I had the worse hangover of all time yesterday and I have now taken the pledge.

However Gethin is back for Saturday so some hope.