Italy v England

tegwini

Since it's so cold at present we're stuck indoors more than usual and watching rugby.

Well I admit to watching rugby sometimes to look at superficial stuff that you blokes don't even notice - eg 'caveman' Italian player, the odd gorgeous player, the many nice bums etc ...

But this match I started by planning to support the underdogs as I expected the Italians to be crushed completely.   The score was 12 : 17 not bad for a national team that was once smashed by the Boks   101:0  

OH did mention that Nick Mallet, an ex Springbok who learned his rugby at school in SAfrica was their coach.   Amazing the difference a coach makes!

Tegwini

[quote user="woolybanana"]And the Italians have many players who are not Italian born, so are not a truly Italian team. But they are a much improved team and England were utter rubbish. By the way, you can't score just one point in rugby.[/quote]

Funny enough I don't think all the English team are English.  [:P]  and although you can't score just one point, you can score 101

Unfortunately England turned up expecting to win. Johnny doesn't seem to be taking his form with Toulon in to International matches. The forwards looked turgid, and no one should be surprised at Dylan Hartley's line outs since throwing has never been his forte. He is meant to be good taking the ball on, but I can't remember seeing him do that in two games. All a bit dull, but you can be sure that England will turn up at Twickenham in 2 weeks time.

Of course England will turn up so will Ireland. Should be a very good game.

Before the Roma game I listened to Fluety could not place the accent. Thought Sale originally then moved East to Leicester then down to Bath and finally Wasps and Saracens. Still unsure perhaps someone can help

I have always had my doubts about Wilky and yesterday he lost us 9 points and one was at 20M with a slight angle. I thought it funny that at half time somebody said it was the ball, the European ball is narrower than the one used in the UK. Well forgive me if I am wrong but Wilky playing at Toulon should present no problem kicking a narrower ball, in fact playing there should have been an advantage.

I don't 'have it in' for Wilky but I just don't think he's that good and on the down turn. We live in the past and remember just the good bits. Wilkies consistency is his inconsistency and it was nice to hear a well respected (all but he's Welsh but we shouldn't hold that against him [;-)] ) ex player and now commentator support my long term opinion, namely Jonathan Davies.

Terrible game for England, we should have had a 20 point lead on the Italians. Makes our next game (against Ireland) look interesting. Still if you take the French attitude, a win is a win, never mind how you get there.

By far the best game to watch so far was Wales v Scotland, if you had bought a ticket for that one you would have got a bargain, value for money wise that is.

[quote user="dragonrouge"]

Before the Roma game I listened to Fluety could not place the accent. Thought Sale originally then moved East to Leicester then down to Bath and finally Wasps and Saracens. Still unsure perhaps someone can help[/quote]

He's a New Zealander.

[quote user="NickP"]Right answer Derek, but offered in the wrong way.What you should have said is "he has the same accent as Shane Howarth and Matt Cardey"  [:P][/quote]

Nice one Nick! [:D]

I guess I should have used this quotation from The Right Stuff.....

"Our Germans are better than their Germans"

But in this case substitute New Zealand.[;-)]

[quote user="NormanH"]Who cares ? This forum is Living FRANCE
So where is the relevance?
[/quote]

We do Norman, and just in case your old eyes are playing you up; this part of the forum is called sport, leisure and pastimes. France is part of the six nations tournament which is for countries who play rugby. Next question?  [:P]

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="NormanH"]Who cares ? This forum is Living FRANCE
So where is the relevance?
[/quote]

We do Norman, and just in case your old eyes are playing you up; this part of the forum is called sport, leisure and pastimes. France is part of the six nations tournament which is for countries who play rugby. Next question?  [:P]

[/quote]

Exactly. [:@]

Indeed and it is part of the annual sabre rattling on this forum and where we are all patriots and support our own. But it is not for real at least that is what I hope.

However I am not sure if anyone here has picked it up but Andy Powell of Wales was arrested for drink driving on Sunday morning on a motorway service station near Cardiff.

Apparently and allegedly he returned to the team hotel which is out in the country away from Cardiff felt hungry no restaurant open so with a friend took a golf buggy then a backroad then the hard shoulder of the motorway towards the services to eat.

Was arrested at the service station then later charged with drink driving. Has already been dropped from the squad and now has to face Cardiff Blues.

This is not like David Gower flying over the cricket ground in Australia or the alleged exploits of Botham in the West Indies this is about a sense of madness beggars belief and I am struggling both for the words and understanding of what was going through his mind.

Hi agent Mike Burton of Gloucester and England said that he had made an error of judgment and did not condone drink driving.

Yes Mr Burton?

He is due in court in about a month and will obviously plead guilty. The legal community in Cardiff is now suggesting that he will need the best QC that money can buy for he may now well face the inside of Knox Road (for those who do not know the area it is the prison in Cardiff)

It is one thing to celebrate let us say a win which on the balance of play was undeserved to playing Russian roulette not only with oneself but other users on a motorway.

Madness

Terrible behavior and does not set a good example. I can imagine the need for a little refreshment after the Scotland game, I guess they (Welsh) were just as much stunned as the Scots but come on Andy that was stupid. I am sure they could have sent out for Pizza or something. I am glad the Welsh selectors/manager had the common sense to drop him immediately, I think that just on its own is the nastiest penalty that can befall him so I think adding a hefty fine will be sufficient. I mean its only the services car park he drove around, he got there by driving over the golf course so its not as if he drove down the actual motorway (well according to what I read yesterday). But then I agree that the services car park is designated as a public road and I am sure he knew that.

Dragonrouge wrote:   "Indeed and it is part of the annual sabre rattling on this forum and where we are all patriots and support our own. But it is not for real at least that is what I hope."

Absolutely DR if the British can't argue among themselves over sport the world would be a very boring place. But as you infer all the bickering and banter gets put behind us when the British Lions play. Andy Powell, silly boy, Banning him from the team I think is a little harsh, if he broke the law, yes let the law deal with him. After all if misbehaviour was a banning offence England wouldn't have a soccer team  [:D]