Lift to St Jean Pied de Port

mint

Don't know whether we are indulging in Sport, Leisure or Pastimes, but I am wondering whether anyone is planning on driving down to St Jean PP or perhaps to Roncevaux on Saturday 4 September?

From dept 16, 17, 24 or 33 would be fantastic.

There will be two of us, Gemonimo and me, and we will be loaded with rucksacks and bits and bobs.  Please note that this will be BEFORE we spend 6 weeks living rough so we will be clean and normal smelling at that stage.

No question but that we will be paying for the gas and not allowing you to be out of pocket.

Dearest Swissie, I know, you always, always want to help.

I just thought I'd try on here but we did meet a lovely chap from Biaritz who lost his wife and now goes back and forth on the Compostelle, meeting people, chatting to them, etc to alleviate his loneliness.

We might take the train to Biaritz and ask him whether he'd take us......

Poor Gemonimo, I fear she's hurt her back and that's why she's not about.  When she feels better, she'll be here with her suggestions, I'm sure.

Thanks, Swissie for your kind thoughts. 

The back problem happened when I got out of my car two days after walking and (I hope) had nothing to do with the hike last w/e. However, the 'real thing' is only seven weeks away and I really can't afford to have a problem and thus wreck Sweets pilgrimage.   Sooooo, the grass isn't being cut, the house isn't being cleaned, the shopping's not being done and I'm lying on my bed surrounded by my books and tubes of anti-inflammatoire cream.  Could get to llike it!!!!

Sweets, no panic... if the Son and Heir hasn't returned to the fac, I'm sure he will be able to drive us.  If not, well the train to Biarritz would be an exciting beginning to a more exciting journey!

Auto stop Cendrillon?  I don't think truckies pick up 'ladies of a certain age'!!!!!!

Nah, done Lourdes in my teens, helping to get the disabled down to the waters and taking them back.

Besides, I believe that Lourdes visitors are predominantly Catholics whereas the Compostelle attract a wide-ranging and diverse group of people.

Oui, bien sûr!  It's a fab place to have a weekend, especially if you stay till the Monday as there is a lovely market that is quite unlike anything we have in the Charente.

Anyway, I have been innundated with friends calling to see me today but, when I get a bit of time later, I shall send you some photos (if you promise not to laugh)!

Gemonimo - some of us older ladies have no problem getting picked up when hitch hiking- blizzard or no blizzard!    lol.

Get better soon - shame you don't live nearer, I know a very nice and excellent acupuncturist - oh, and stuff the housework.

[quote user="Swissie"]Gemonimo - some of us older ladies have no problem getting picked up when hitch hiking- blizzard or no blizzard!    lol.

Get better soon - shame you don't live nearer, I know a very nice and excellent acupuncturist - oh, and stuff the housework.
[/quote]

Remember that incident well!!!!! And this afternoon I took myself off to an osteopath who seems to have worked wonders.  I especially liked the bit when he said "don't do anything for at least two days". Coincidentally, it turns out that the osteopath's daughter was a french student who stayed  with my family in London about 25 years ago. Small world. 

Oh, Gem, trust you to have got things sorted!

And there's me worrying about you...........gggrrrrrggghhh

Seriously, glad you're better!

I'm still ordering "stuff" on line and OH is taking me to the Decathlon in Angouleme tomorrow and has even promised lunch.

You wanna me get you anything from Decathlon?

Hola Sweets... thanks, but I did a quick tour of Intersport but didn't see anything that weighed less than air so I left.  Son and Heir has a €20 token (c**k up with an on-line order) so he's getting a silk bag liner to use on his euro-rail escapade and I'll use it afterwards. Don't forget to look for a towell. I might order some walking trousers from L.L.Bean - their clothes are for anglo saxon bodies - as I'm not having any luck with french sizes. Isn't this exciting - only seven weeks to go!

Enjoy your lunch - hope it's not spaghetti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, JJ, we've decided to take the train from Bordeaux all the way to St. Jean Pied de Port, stay one night there and then get to Roncevaux next day. So, our pilgrimage (on foot) will really start on Sunday 5th September. 

We are both suffering from stress which is manifesting itself in various 'maux' but I'm sure when we are on our way, all the aches and pains will disappear and we'll be fine.

No doubt you will hear from us during the five weeks, starting on the 4th as the Pension where we will be staying has an internet connection[:D]

Hope the back and teeth are doing well you two. It's sounding so exciting now it's getting closer. You'll have so many people wishing you well, so I hope it'll make all those steps easier. I say steps as I'm wearing a pedometer each day to try to get myself walking more, and very difficult it is some days. Are you sure your nearest and dearest will recognise you afterwards? - I'm sure you'll lose so much weight!  [:D]

Thank you, Jonz and GG.  Not sure about exciting right now:  scared out of my wits would better describe it.

It's the waiting that's the hard bit.  I should imagine it must be a bit like a leading lady in the theatre, waiting for her cue to go on stage.

You know, sick in the stomach, losing her voice, needing to go for a pee, knees trembling like jellies.....

But, the moment the curtain rises, she sweeps on and.....well, I guess she wows them all![:D]

That'll be Gem and me when it gets under way....................at least, that's how we like to imagine it!

Hey, do you think leading ladies sometimes get stage fright to such a degree that they can't go on? [:-))]

Don't panic, Gem, only winding you (and myself) up![:P] 

Have you ever been to St J PdP Doux? We went through there once on route from N Spain ferry and the Lot. It was shut due to lack of interest![:-))]

Only kidding. It seemed to be a nice place, but we were only there for a day or so.

Good luck and don't wet yer sell, it makes yer shoes squeek so I heard!

Yeah, Jonz, Gem and I went down for the weekend last month to have a look around and to do the first bit of the route over the Pyrenees.

Yes, I do like St Jean PP:  bustling little place, full of restaurants and cafés, shops, fantastic market on Mondays.

The trial run went well and we have a better idea of what to expect since that trip.  Now it's just the last of the packing, make our wills and tell people our special requests like favourite flowers and hymns, stuff like that!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hey, do you think leading ladies sometimes get stage fright to such a degree that they can't go on? [:-))]

[/quote]

OUT OF THE QUESTION!!!! I can't let my sponsors down and in any case, the church will still need its stained glass window.  So Sweets, GET A GRIP! [:-))]

Just kidding! It's the butterflies in the stomach which are the worst bit but at least I'm sleeping.

Thanks for the encouragement tout le monde[kiss]