Disinherit

Mr Wiggy

I don't wish to sound heartless but,I have a serious inheritance problem that needs to be resolved. My problem is that I have two brothers, one in Australia whom I am in regular contact with while the other in the UK has for the last ten years denied that I exist, is there any legal way that I could possibly disinherit him? He certainly doesn’t need money as he owns two properties in excess of ¾ of a million. I would certainly prefer to give his share of my estate to several charities.

Do you HAVE to leave anything to brothers? I thought it was only children you weren't to disinherit. If you do, you could sell your house 'en viager', then spend the bouquet (or give it to the brother you get on with). When you die there would be nothing for anyone to inherit and you'll have had an extra income every month.

It's only héritiers réservataires that you can't disinherit. Brothers and sisters aren't héritiers réservataires. If you don't make a will, brothers and sisters would have a claim if they chose to assert it, but they would have to pay the succession tax on what they inherit. If you make a will and don't leave them anything, they have no claim.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]It's only héritiers réservataires that you can't disinherit. Brothers and sisters aren't héritiers réservataires. If you don't make a will, brothers and sisters would have a claim if they chose to assert it, but they would have to pay the succession tax on what they inherit. If you make a will and don't leave them anything, they have no claim.[/quote]

Hi,

Absolutely correct-in the absence of descendents you can , by testament , exclude any other relatives , and leave your estate as you choose.  Bear in mind that non relatives pay 60% tax , while recognized charities are tax free.

[quote user="rowland"]

Hi

How do you find out which charities are recognized and do they have to be France based charities.?

Thanks for any replies

[/quote]

Hi,

If the (french -based) charity issues fiscal receipts so you can claim tax back in respect of donations , then it should be able to accept bequests tax-free. Check with the charity.

Foreign charities may be approved by the french , but there , I think you would be best advised to ask the tax office (in writing - and keep their written reply).