Skiing near Geneva

Well, as the clocks are about to go back and we're doomed to dark evenings and as winter looms large, one's thoughts naturally turn to .........Skiing!

Because of logistical problems I have to pick up one of our party from Geneva airport.  Not a problem as there are many resorts within a couple of hour's drive from there.

I have been to La Chatel which was fine but would like to hear of any personal recommendations for other places

I was thinking of Chamonix or maybe as far as Superdoveluy

We are a group of 3 adults ( me, my son and his girlfriend) of no great standard of skiing but are happy on red runs, black being a bit ambitious, well for me anyway.

Any ideas?

Well you obviously know Les Portes du Soleil because you have been to Chatel, but I would stay in Avoriaz, I just love it up there, and for all we lived in the Alpes, we went and stayed there many times. No cars and we have never stayed anywhere that we couldn't ski from and to, due to the layout of the place. Although I suppose that there might be some places that are not quite that easy.

Flaine is pretty good and as mentioned Les Contamines.

We didn't really enjoy Chamonix, despite its good slopes, because the town and all the accomodation is down at the valley floor, and it can take a good hour - if you are unlucky - to get from your front door to the snow. Even if you're lucky (and depending on where you stay) it can be a good 30 minutes: there are often long queues at the lifts going up. And coming down, for that matter.

That's good to know, thanks.  I would hate to queue for a long time for a ski lift, so far I've been to places where this wasn't the case.

I think I've narrowed it down to

Les Contamines

Avoriaz

and Superdevoluy is still there because I have a voucher for loads of money off a great appartment!

back to tossing coins I suppose ......

one of the closest resorts to Geneva is Le Grand Bornand, a smallish resort that we have visited a couple of times, staying at Chinaillon (just above Grand Bornand) means you are right on the slopes. The lift pass can allow you to ski La Clusaz too.

Also Flaine is very close to Geneva and being at the side of the motorway has a very quick 'transfer' time. Much more extensive slopes than Grand Bornand but not as pretty (unless you like concrete). If I remember rightly it has a 14Km run, in the right conditions of course.

Have skied at Chatel too, all in school holidays, lift queues have been similar at them all in our experience, probably Flaine getting the vote for the quickest uplift. (in our experience !)

I guess anywhere is great if the snow is good and the sun is shining.

The Evasion Mont-Blanc ski pass includes Les Contamines, but also gives access to other nearby resorts such as St Gervais, Megeve and Combloux.  In total there are 425km of pistes to go at, either linked by lift or a very short drive or ski bus ride away.  Most of the skiing is at the intermediate level with stacks of variety and good mountain huts for lunch.  The scenery is breathtaking, and I'm sure you'd be pleased you went.  Feel free to PM me if you want any more detailed info.

I second Evasion-Mont-Blanc. Combloux is my favourite place - quiet, often empty runs through the trees with wonderful views of the Mont Blanc chain, no lift queues, charming village with plenty of good places to eat and stay (and inexpensive deals direct from the tourist office). And Megeve just over the hill if you fancy a bit of glitz and glamour as a change.

No snow yet, though, just checked the webcam!

Yes Fay, we love Combloux too, its just as you say, and well worth the short drive from St Gervais.  My favourite run is the long winding red run down the back of the hill to the Jouty chair, I could spend all day happily going down that over and over again.  Spent my 50th birthday skiing Combloux in January on great snow, with balloons tied to my collar.  Felt a bit conspicuous at times but it was memorable!

• 2 months later...

Last year I also went to Canmore in  Canada for skiing and mountain climbing and enjoyed very much.
That was wonderful and scary experience for me, a lot of adventure and risk it contains.Usually I don't go for
skiing,ice climbing or mountain climbing , this time I went for the first time so I took the services of a guide.They
guided all the way.but it was wonderful experience.
Now I would like to go Nepal for the mountain climbing and hiking and trekking.

Advertising removed

Hello

I agree with the words on Chamonix, I hated the travelling and waiting too.  I really like Sainte Foy which is near to Les Arcs, Val D'isere and La Plagne but it is small and quiet in comparison.  I have never had to queue for more than a couple of minutes even in school holidays.

I can also say a word for Superdevoluy, I liked it there too for the same reasons, it's  small resort and quiet at night but I loved the ski-ing on empty slopes, it's really important for me with a child in tow as I always get worried in busy resorts that some idiot will knock my son over whilst taking too much speed.  I stayed at the resort on the other side, La Joue Du Loup, really nice and quiet and pretty (Devoluy is not particularly pretty as it has an old block of appartments central to it). I would have thought it would be a killer drive from Geneva though as it's way in the southern alpes.

P

• 4 weeks later...
Firstly many thanks to all for the great suggestions.

I've just come back from a week at..... Superdevoluy!

In the end price won, I kept getting vouchers sent to me with money off an appartment, times must be tough.  In fact, I got a nice 2 bed appartment in a smallish complex complete with swimming pool and sauna for much less than the price of 3 ski passes.

The drive from Geneva wasn't bad at all, only 240Kms taking about 3 hours.

The resort itself wasn't so pretty being a dedicated ski resort with a massive appartment block in its centre.  Night life was virtually non-existant (where did everybody go ???) and it is not suitable for first time skiers as there are a couple of very short green runs then the only choice is up the mountain on at least a 2.5 Km blue piste which would be very daunting for an absolute novice.

OK that's the bad points but I don't want to paint a poor picture of the place.  We had a great time, the pistes were well prepared and nice to ski, there were some truly awesome Red runs which I enjoyed.  No waiting at the lifts and not so many people on the pistes, maybe its different in school holidays.  I think we covered nearly every run during the week, a couple of runs were closed but nothing much.  Of course our stay was much enhanced by the fact we had gorgeoous blue skies and brilliant sunshine every day.  They could do with some more snow now but it was just fine when we were there.

The trouble is  I want to ski again and I'm looking at a long weekend in the Vosges, maybe La Bresse - anyone got a B&B  or similar available around there?

Sounds good and Ive been in school holidays and it was not that busy, nothing like the huge resorts. 

Did you take a look at the neighbouring resort (La Joue De Loup??), its much prettier but also very quiet, might go back there myself now as you have reminded me of its pull.

When I said about the drive I was thinking you were after a short run, 3 hours isnt too bad though, whne I visted I came across from the Charente and it took me 11 hours!!

Yes we went over to La Joue de Loup a couple of times and yes it's very pretty.

We found that because of the orientation that side lost the sun quite early in the afternoon so we played more near the top of the mountain on the Superdevoluy side.

The one thing that improved my skiing enormously is that I have been attending exercise classes for a few months now with the result that I could ski around 5 hours a day and not feel totally knackered and painful the next day.  I've enjoyed the classes too!