Has anyone renewed a UK Passport recently?

NormanH

[quote user="Jonzjob"]When you renew a passport, you obviously have to do so before the old one runs out.

I think I know the answer and that we loose out on it?  [/quote]

You don't lose out. IIRC  you can apply for your new passport up to 5 or 6(?) months in advance and the expiry date of the new one will be the expiry date of the old one +10 years.

Sue

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Jonzjob"]When you renew a passport, you obviously have to do so before the old one runs out.
I think I know the answer and that we loose out on it?  [/quote]
You don't lose out. IIRC  you can apply for your new passport up to 5 or 6(?) months in advance and the expiry date of the new one will be the expiry date of the old one +10 years.

Sue
[/quote]

My memory is not what it used to be but I believe that it's up to 9 months in advance.  When I think about it, it makes sense because there are many countries in the world where your passport has to have at least 6 months validity left on it when you visit them.

• 2 weeks later...
Well that was painless!

My new one arrived today, less than 2 weeks after I sent the forms off.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

What a disgrace that the Embassy has to use a courrier service, as Laposte is so unreliable, but after my experience last time I am glad that they did.

We're just completing our passport renewal application forms now, and have been debating whether or not we need countersignatories, due to the seemingly conflicting advice on official websites. As you have recently successfully been through the procedure, NormanH, could you please confirm whether you completed the Countersignature Section 9 of the application form and had your photos countersigned?

We have found some of our French professional acquaintances (doctor, civil servant) rather reluctant to witness documents for us, especially when they have to divulge personal information, as there are no similar procedures in France. We do, however, know a number of people who may be willing to sign, but are retired. Does anybody know if their signature would be acceptable?

Finally, we have no intention of putting the security number of our credit/debit card as required on the payment form, so will be using the mandat-cash option. It's hard to believe that a government department could ask people to take such a blatant security risk.

[quote user="LesWeb"]We do, however, know a number of people who may be willing to sign, but are retired. Does anybody know if their signature would be acceptable?

[/quote]

We had a retired bobby (resident in France) sign for us the first time and a retired British teacher last time and didn't encounter problems. We also sign passport applications occasionally although we are retired (a bit incestuous really as we signed their applications....) and have never heard of a problem.

IF the FCO checks anything, that may be why one sends the applicaion to the local embassy where someone can verify the existence of applicant and sponsor before forwarding it to Britain.

Steve

[quote user="Rabbie"]UK passport photos do not need to be countersigned if it is clear that it is the same person.[/quote]

New requirements for photos mean that is more likely to be the case this time - no specs for example, and the wrinkles are clearer than before!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
A personal cheque is not accepted due to the number of people who write bouncing cheques without regard to the law. What is the difference by paying mandat cash as it prooves you can afford the new passport with just a fee of approx €7 otherwise. You can't blame the Embassy for refusing to accept cheques regardless of origin when they will problems with some,costing them time and money to chase and for french account cheques, it will be recorded as an incident with the Banque de France which will stay on the account holders record until his bank releases it thus in turn affecting any future loans or banking products to be sought

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am putting off the inevitable but have got to get on with it as my passport expires soon and it's the only piece of ID that I have (no driving licence - never learnt to drive and the prefecture refuse to let me have a carte sejour saying that it is not necessary) so I have been reluctant to send the only piece of ID I have on it's way!

Having read all the posts, how are you sending the docs to Paris ie by post/courrier?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Easiest and probably cheapest way to send documents in France is La Poste - recommandée avec avis de reception [sp](recorded delivery with confirmation of receipt).   Cost around 5€80 IIRC

The only thing is that you may find your new passport arrives home before the confirmation of delivery!

PS.  Just for piece of mind, take a photocopy of the picture page of the passport before you send it off.

Just an update and a little info for anyone who may not know of Lettre Suivie Documents.

I finally got off my backside and visited La Poste to get my mandat cash for 179 euros which was easy peasy (for some reason I didn't think it would be). There was a charge of 7 euros for the mandat cash.

I asked for the docs to be sent AR and she said she would recommend Lettre Suivie Documents rather than AR and which was 'moin cher' and that I could track the envelope via the internet and it is signed for at the receiving end so on the recommendation of 'moin cher' I accepted her offer at a cost of 3,90 which I thought was excellent.

I have already been checking the movement of my envelope and I must say what an easy system it is.

I now need a stiff drink to ease the pain of having spent nearly 400 euros (the OH needed renewing as well)!

Good thing it's only every ten years!

Chris

My (UK) passport expires in July. The cost of renewing it seems excessive, and no one has asked to see it for years.

I have a French driving licence and a Spanish Residence Permit, slightly expired, but the information on it still valid, and accepted immediately in Spain.

In France I show my last tax return as proof of residence.

Why should I bother paying such a large sum to renew my Passport?

What will happen if I don't renew it? My guess is sweet FA.

Will I be deported? - but to where, considering I don't have a valid PP for any country to which they might deport me, even if I chose to produce a PP?

"So are you getting a new passport and a new partner?"

Cendrillion that made me smile..........nah, even the lady in the post office knows the OH is moin cher ! (oops hope the OH doesn't read this post or I'm in trouble and may be coughing up for a meal out - plus cher!)

[quote user="knee gel"]"So are you getting a new passport and a new partner?"

Cendrillion that made me smile..........nah, even the lady in the post office knows the OH is moin cher ! (oops hope the OH doesn't read this post or I'm in trouble and may be coughing up for a meal out - plus cher!)[/quote]

LOL[:D]

[quote user="Rabbie"]

You should be OK passportless visiting any country in the Schengen group but you might have problems getting into the UK without one. If you should ever want to travel outide Europe you would have problems.

[/quote]

Thanks Rabbie, you are correct, of course. I was thinking in terms of arguing the toss on arrival in UK, but I wouldn't be able to board a flight to UK without a passport, and I seem to remember they also check before boarding the ferry these days.

No-one checked us last time we sailed across from France, so maybe I could do that again. It's rather a long trip by boat from here, but maybe I could crew for someone going across [:D]

Nomoss, as far as I was aware the french authorities expect non french people to have the proper paperwork and up to date forms of ID.

If someone could kindly show me where the french have not a requirement for this, then I shall know differently won't I.

[quote user="Rabbie"]

You should be OK passportless visiting any country in the Schengen group but you might have problems getting into the UK without one. If you should ever want to travel outide Europe you would have problems.

[/quote]

Getting into UK would be a problem but getting out is not. I inadvertently turned up at Dover with my wife's passport, not mine. I was let out of UK and into France without any checks, other than the DFDS ticket booth - who pointed out the error.

December 2010 my mother in law came to stay for christmas. She booked the flight over but was going back to the UK with my brother in law in his car via the ferry ouistreham to portsmouth.

My B-I-L had booked his over and return crossing previously and was supposed to add his mother to the ticket. He didn't. He didn't tell her until they got home in the UK that she wasn't booked on the ferry nor did he tell us as we would have been mortified (she was 79).

Anyhow he apparently he went straight through the check in area and onto the ferry. Seems it can be done if you are brave enough!

Chris

• 4 months later...
[quote user="Jonzjob"]Just renewed my passport. Sent the old one to Durham, as requested, with the correct bits, photo, etc. and the new one was returned 14 daze later. [8-|]

Majic !!

No more delays via Paris, even if it is the center of the World [:-))]

[/quote]

Tell us more - can you send renewals to the UK now then?