Any one going skiing this week

Nope not this week. I've got another 3 to wait for my trip. (My neice very kindly invited me to join her, I'm sure it's my company she wants and not the fact that it'll save money to stay in my cottage and the car hire will be cheaper as I am (a bit) over 25. :-)

I've not been to La Plagne for about 15 years, I'd like to see how it's changed since the connection to Les Arcs was put in. This next trip will will take advantage of the Maurienne Freedom Pass.

Have a good trip.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Yeah I'm going to have a cheeky weekend skiing but not your area, I'm going to the Vosges with my son.

It's less than 3 hours away and a colleague at work is lending me his apartment!

Marvellous, can't wait!

[/quote]

Don't want to depress you but there isn't much snow at the moment - it is skiable high up, but the resorts and surrounding countryside are very green.  Whereabouts are you going?  I have guests in the gites who are managing to ski, but we lack the "ambiance hivernale".  It's very sunny and spring-like.  You'll have a nice time anyway [:)]

We're staying at Gèrardmer and hoping to get a bit of skiing in at La Bresse, I've heard that most of the snow is 'artificial'

We are expecting to go to the top but that's no problem.

Anyway, it's Hobson's choice, we go this weekend or not at all.  As you say, we'll have a nice time [:D]

I'm 10km from Gerardmer.  Current guests are skiing at La Mauselaine (Gerardmer) and La Bresse-Hohneck.  Middle son went on a snow-shoeing expedition at Le Hohneck yesterday, and judging by the level of dampness, he managed to find plenty of snow [:D]

So thought I would fill you in on the snow situation in la-plagne. They had a decent dumping a few days ago there is still plenty of snow on the higher slopes. These pictures were taken today.

[IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Sking/IMG_1153.jpg[/IMG]

This is taken in front of our hotel, ski in ski out ;-)

[IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Sking/IMG_1143.jpg[/IMG]

Already went....3 full days skiing in Montgenevre 9th/12th February before the hurds arrived. Pists were absolutely empty until the Saturday morning !!!!, flying in/out of Geneva. Stayed at the MMV appartments that are adjacent to one of the slopes. Snow was still good and sky was pure blue.

PS: could you divulge the name of that hotel on the photo in La Plagne??

Hi Eric,

Ill do one better here is the web link

The skiing was great as was the hotel, but I will never go skiing during French school holidays again !

This was taken today at the top of the glacier

[IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Sking/IMG_1186.jpg[/IMG]

We went to Le Mont Dore / Superbesse last week and would ditto the comment re school holidays.  Several idiot parents taking five year old complete novice children on blue and red runs by holding them in front while they snow ploughed (at a snail's pace) down the middle of the piste.  Several near misses and one bad accident (fractured leg) as a consequence.  The problem is, it is difficult to avoid the school holidays as they are spread over four weeks...

Well we got our weekend in at La Bresse.  I have to say the lower slopes were jammed with people and the snow wasn't great.  Either pure ice or slush puppy.   I never knew that skiing through slush was so hard on the legs!!  So, we went to the upper runs where the snow was much better and far fewer people, especially on the Red runs  (the Black runs were all closed) This was the first time I have been to this area and it was great to see the huge area where there was kite-sking.  I had been told about this so I brought along kites, lines, bar.......and forgot the harness so no kite flying for me, ah well, next time.

I really like the whole area, Fi you are very fortunate to live there!  I hope to go back in the summer too to see what it is like.