Rugby World Cup

Gardian

Here we go again.[:D]

Umpteen weeks of early morning watching.

You'd be expecting England vs France in the Qtr Final on 8/10: obviously I'll be behind our guys, but I've a sneaking suspicion that France could surprise a lot of people this year. At 14-1 (last time I looked) that's a pretty good bet.

The Wallabies to win it though I'm afraid - the All Blacks just never seem to do it on the day.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gardian"]

Here we go again.[:D]

Umpteen weeks of early morning watching.

You'd be expecting England vs France in the Qtr Final on 8/10: obviously I'll be behind our guys, but I've a sneaking suspicion that France could surprise a lot of people this year. At 14-1 (last time I looked) that's a pretty good bet.

The Wallabies to win it though I'm afraid - the All Blacks just never seem to do it on the day.

[/quote]

I bet that the French stations will be totally impartial as always [6]

That was one of the best games of international rugby that I've seen for a long time.

France vs Japan, that is. It wasn't that France were bad, just that the Japanese hadn't read the script about allowing France to dominate them with flowing rugby and decided to do the same thing themselves.

As for England, we all knew that it was going to be x-certificate stuff and it didn't disappoint. Horrible! 

[quote user="NormanH"]"

As for England, we all knew that it was going to be x-certificate stuff and it didn't disappoint. Horrible! "

Like the all-black strip [:-))]
[/quote]As  a former Scotttish rugby player  I was always told  that England had a psychological advantage playing in white because it made you seem bigger so why play in Black shirts? Seems to be misplaced homage to the hosts in this RWC

• 2 weeks later...

Notwithstanding the quality of the opposition, I thought that we were alright this morning.

NZ vs France was something else though: for once in a World Cup, the All Blacks really do look the part.

Tomorrow morning's Sc vs Argentina will doubtless be grim & grizzly: hope that the Pumas win, thus virtually ensuring that we play France in the qtrs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, nobody on here seems particularly interested in this, but I'll try just one more time to see if I can raise any enthusiasm.

Misery on Saturday morning, compounded by a crowing phone call from my French neighbour 10secs after the final whistle. More flak in the village on Sunday morning.

Pleased about Wales though, not just because they won well, but because of my hitherto unrevealed Welsh heritage. (A brief liasion with Megan from Porthcawl in 1968). Flakey?  At least as good as Tuilagui's English qualification.

I'm in the 'Johnno should stay' camp, if only because it was the players who let us down. If you were choosing a Lions team now, how many English players would make a 22?  No more than 4 or 5 at best. Some dodgy selections though. He'll resign however - the Press furore is overwhelming.

No foregone result at the weekend: my heart says NZ vs Wales, my head says Aus vs France.

[quote user="NormanH"]England didn't deserve to win, but if the French were to win the final it would be a  travesty. I have a sneaking suspicion that they might though...[:-))]
[/quote]It just depends on which French team turns up - the one that beat England or the one that that lost to Tonga. If the former then it should be close between them and Wales. Ideally I would like to see Wales beating NZ in the final

I think MJ has a lot to answer for; he decided that England would play a leaden and plodding style and picked players to suit like Easter and Banahan. He praised Steve Borthwick to the skies for a long time and then dumped him, realising eventually, what we all knew, that he is not an international quality lock. He did the same with Hape, we all knew that as well. He has persisted with Tindall and Cueto who are well past their best, and in four years in charge has not made any progress in building a side. I know he has included players like Ashton and Foden but he needed to go much further. I watched the game with my French neighbour, he must have been wondering why the French were at all worried about this game. I rather fancy Wales as I can't see France raising their game again.

[quote user="powerdesal"]France should be ashamed. Playing against 14 Welshmen and still only won by one point. A disgusting day for International rugby.[/quote]

The convincing and glorious victory by the french team against a depleted adversary suggests that next week will be a walk over for the winners of the sunday game.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]France should be ashamed. Playing against 14 Welshmen and still only won by one point. A disgusting day for International rugby.[/quote]

The convincing and glorious victory by the french team against a depleted adversary suggests that next week will be a walk over for the winners of the sunday game.

[/quote]

Convincing and glorious ........don't you just love irony !!!!!!!!!

Last night, some French people asked me who I thought would win.

I said "les meilleurs"....so I guess I can't now make any legitimate complaint and OH and I will have to take some stick, possibly later today when the rugby-mad French neighbour calls which he might do just so's he could have a good-natured gloat!