Thinking about buying a horse

Some advise needed.

Having had the pleasure of stabling someone else's horses for the last year. I am thinking about taking the plunge my self.

I have found a horse that I am interested in buying 6 year old Andalusian mare, ( I have always wanted to own a Andalusian as I grew up in Spain and fell in love with the breed)

Having never owned a horse just ridden since a child, my buying knowledge is limited so I am going to take a fellow equestrian owner with me.

If I decide to buy I will ask for the vet to carry out a health cheque.

Any other advice ?

Here is a picture of the mare price €1600 she is has basic schooling.

[IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Horsing%20around/4e9ff5d2db7c0.jpg[/IMG]

Take her out in traffic.  Nothing more tedious than wondering if you're going to end up under the next car all the time.  My experience here is that few road users are very careful with horses, but no doubt you've discovered that with your loan animal.

If she's going to be an only horse, make sure she's used to being on her own or she could prove a nightmare, not to mention the fact that she would probably get very lonely.

Otherwise, I'm sure you've taken the two most important steps - the first is having got used to "owning" already and all that that entails, and the second being to take somebody who is experienced along with you.  If they advise you against buying though, and think in any way that you might be over-horsed, then do take their advice, no matter how tempted you might be and no matter how in love you think you've fallen.  It's one thing riding an animal from time to time that you're not really confident with, quite another to own one.  I've had my older horse for 28 years now.  That's quite a commitment if you don't get on!

Finally, you'll spend far more time with her than on her, so make sure she has good manners and that you like her character as well as enjoy riding her.

If she needs more schooling, are you condfident that you have the experience to do this and if not, do you have a trainer who can help you?  If not, you could find that even the stuff she's learnt disppears if you don't continue her education.

Good luck.  Feel free to call if you need any more advice, you know where I am!

Thank you for the advise I will give you a call if I have any further questions and will definitely take her out on the road.

May ask if I can loan her for a week or two so I can trial her. We have a miniature pony to keep her company.

I love the Andalusians such a noble bread good looks and a fantastic gate ;-) The price seems very reasonable. There is a large equestrian school near by so I may carry on my education there.

I have always wanted to learn dressage.