Change of use

Jo

My {very nice french} neighbour applied for planning permission for two very large barns near me to raise his sheep indoors, no more fly strike etc. and planning was granted. They have now been built, I didn't object to his application.

Now, after an experience of sourcing a part for his tractor on line he has decided the way forward is collecting parts for vehicles and selling them on via ebay, making one good tractor out of 2 or 3. He has now sold his sheep and in the process of selling his land, just keeping the barns to work in. So instead of listening to sheep, I now get to listen to someone cutting metal, disassembling vehicles, etc all day. Had I known that was going to be the eventual use of the barns I would have objected as I moved here precisely because it was so quiet. Am I just being a NIMBY, or is there any guildlines around change of use that he should have gone through? I am the only neighbour for a good distance so am the only one affected, ironically, I live in his old house, he built himself a new one further down the road, out of earshot of his current activities.

How close is your house to the barns?

I ask, as when they became

barns for stock, I seem to think that no one is supposed to live within a

certain distance, approx 100m. There have certainly been cases I have

seen on the telly where people have been told to leave their homes as their homes are too close to barns stocked with animals.

Could it be that you have been lucky???

The 100m ring a bell.  Since I have had our other house on the market (all of about a week), I have been approached by a dog breeder and a duck raiser and they both asked whether our house was at least 100m from the nearest neighbour.

I am certainly less than 100 m from the barns as they used to belong to this house, eek! does that mean I need to leave?? Only joking! Thanks for your good wishes sweet 17 and NormanH, hanging on in there but it's been a challenging year. Not looking forward to the winter as that's when it all went wrong last year. Half of me wants to hang on here as I love the house, the other half says sell up now as I know I will have to eventually as it's too much for me to cope with long term. The noise from next door makes me think do it sooner rather than later, but as I say, I love the place and he did too.

Jo I am so sorry to hear of your problems with the barns and really can't offer any helpful advice.

The noise must be awful and for this very reason when our neighbour was selling we bought his barns that adjoin our house just so that we had peace of mind for the future.

I know a few years ago someone in our village was no longer allowed to keep his three pigs in the sty in the village because it was too close to other houses.

Bon courage and I hope it will all work out for you in the end.

P.S. would it be worth having a quiet word and discussing the problem with the maire?

[quote user="Jo"]My {very nice french} neighbour ...   

Had I known that was going to be the eventual use of the barns I would have objected as I moved here precisely because it was so quiet.

I am the only neighbour for a good distance so am the only one affected, ironically, I live in his old house, he built himself a new one further down the road, out of earshot of his current activities.[/quote]

If your neighbour is as nice as you say could you not try and have a word with him ... explaining how noisy the work he is now doing is and how it affects your peace and quiet ? He might not realise how much din he is making.

Sue

He is a very considerate neighbour, and if I could see a way to reduce the noise I would suggest it, and he would do his best to help, but I can't.

I'm looking more for something that would help a prospective purchaser if it would be a problem for them.

Unfortunately, you live next to a working farm and farmers need to earn a living.

I really think that you should check up about a working animal barn being so close to you. He may well not be keeping sheep there now, but could again in the future. I know that there is a rule or even legislation about this and people have been told that they can no longer live in their property if the distance is not respected.

IF this is correct, then you may have trouble selling.

[quote user="idun"]I really think that you should check up about a working animal barn being so close to you.

[/quote]

Yes I agree it is worth checking up re the distances etc BUT it was the farmer who had to apply for planning permission. So the powers-that-be must be aware that there is an inhabited house less than 100mtrs away or else permission would not have been granted.

Sue

I too would rather like to think that they had taken into account that a home was nearby. Still experience has taught me that I should not bank on the good nature of anyone in authority. So personally I would be checking on this.

Hopefully the 100m I have in my head is a lesser distance and I hope it is. All to do with hygiene apparently.

I still haven't had time to research this properly, but you may find some rules and regulations here:

http://www.moinsde170.com/blog/changement-de-destination/

I reckon he he hasn't really got the right to change from an agricultural to an industrial use, but in the country these things are sometimes tolerated especially if he knows someone at the Mairie..

I rather agree with Sue in that I can't see how he could be forced to stop without a good deal of difficult and stressful negotiation, but at least a quiet word can't go amiss.

If that fails is it perhaps the time to consider a move given what you say in an earlier post?

Not that you should be driven out, but if you are already half finding that the place is getting a  bit big to manage....

Never had a problem living next door to a working farm idun, I do accept they have to make a living. It's just that had I know it would change to a breakers yard I would have looked elsewhere.

On the plus side it would appear that there is another house the other side of his new barns and that person has complained, he came round tonight to apologise about the noise and is going to take the noisy work into the barn and work with the doors closed to reduce the noise, as I say, he is a very considerate neighbour. Thank you so much for your link NormanH it makes very interesting reading, and is added info should it continue, hope you're keeping well.