"Ladies" please ignore

We've been invited next door for dinner this evening, so I won't have to endure the agony of it all. Will probably have a quick sneak look as the evening progresses though.

I forecast a 1 - 1 draw, thus as usual a nail-biter vs the Costa Ricans.

[quote user="pouyade"]"Ladies" please ignore

Why?

Pouyade[/quote]

Probably aimed at some chaps on here who normally when football is mentioned tend to get their knickers in a twist, and spend time telling everyone how much they hate football.[:D]

Well following on from the thread about the NHS better than france blah blah. To solve the problem we should employ the doctors/physio's they have on the England vs Uruguay match. one second they fall over close to death and a couple of quick rubs from the god like hands and they are back on their feet, cured in seconds.  We should give up fighting Taliban and other and march on Uruguay we could take over their country in under 30 seconds [:D]

Absolutely correct NickP, though apologies to the ladies who don't moan or indeed do enjoy watching.

As pundits on TV pretty  much said, Suarez scored all his chances, Rooney didn't. To overrated and overpaid I'd add over-there.

On the plus side there will be better teams playing now. As well as Brazil, Germany (as ever) seem strong. France must have a pretty strong chance of getting through their group though Argentina or Bosnia will probably beat them in the first knockout stage.

I couldn't believe it  when they said that the population of Uruguay was only 3.5 million.

Smaller than the populations of Wales and Ireland and yet they have this world class team............

Bet there wouldn't be any complaints about any number of Uruguay footballer immigrants into the UK?[:D]

If you lived in Uruguay and wanted to get on in life then football is a way to do it. As long as the British governments past; present and future allows schools to sell off playing fields and doesn't encourage competitive sport then we will always struggle. Just for the record there are Uruguayans playing football in the UK, and even if they did immigrate they wouldn't be able play for England, although  Ireland probably would find a distant relative.

[quote user="NickP"]If you lived in Uruguay and wanted to get on in life then football is a way to do it.

[/quote]

That may or may not be the case; I don't know as my knowledge of anything Uruguayan is at best limited.

So, following on from your argument, it might be better if footballers are not treated like demigods, paid obscenely vast sums for being able to kick a ball around, ignored when they scream in agony every time someone from the opposite team so much as brush them lightly in passing and held up as role models for young children.

That might just give them some sort of imperative to improve, you think?

I wouldn't imagine that Uruguayans are feted and handled like precious china or even given massive sponsorships and that fantastic amenities to play their game are made available to them.

And don't even get me going on the cricket team ..............[:P]

Mint

I love your gloriously naive yet profound observations on Uruguay footballers.

Luis Suarez, the guay who scored the goals for Uruguay, plays for Liverpool in the premier league and recently spent some considerable time suspended for biting an opposition player on the arm.

Oh yes, richard, I have sort of heard about HIM[:D]

Well you can't expect me to be au courant with your male obssessions, can you?

We girls have our own girly obesessions to keep abreast of....................duh

[quote user="mint"]I couldn't believe it  when they said that the population of Uruguay was only 3.5 million.

Smaller than the populations of Wales and Ireland and yet they have this world class team............

Bet there wouldn't be any complaints about any number of Uruguay footballer immigrants into the UK?[:D]
[/quote]According to Wikipedia population of Uruguay is 3.3 million. Population of Wales 3.0 million. Population of Northern Ireland 1.8 million. Population of Eire 4.5 million.

Also is any side who lost last week 3-1 to Costa Rica(population 4.5 million) actually world class?

So far in this world cup population seems not to be a very helpful predictor of footballing results

[quote user="Rabbie"]

So far in this world cup population seems not to be a very helpful predictor of footballing results

[/quote]

The point I wanted to make and didn't do very clearly is that I think it's bloomin' marvellous that small and relatively poor countries (relative to large properous European countries) manage to produce winning teams when their training facilities, opportunities, etc are so much behind those of ours.

For example, I holidayed in Sri Lanka once (a beautiful but very poor country riven by civil war) and I saw kids dressed in next-to-nothing rags hitting coconuts with bits of wood with stumps made from stuck up palm fronds on the beach................ and look at their cricket team!

I guess I'm just an incurable believer in David in the David and Goliath story[:D][:-))]