Le Tour 2014

Obviously, none of us have any idea as to whether Wiggins would have been a serious 2nd string contender for the GC.

It would seem reasonable that Brailsford would have had a better idea than any of us!!

Having said that, it was always a risky strategy and sadly it has backfired at a very early stage. If Sagan was a better climber (as in really good, rather than average) then he'd be a serious contender.

A bit of a lottery today, although the first 3 did fantasticallywell.

Today was an exciting day's racing with Nibali stamping his authority on the race. Even though Froome has unfortunately retired I'm sure Sky's plan B will see Richie Porte, currently in 8th position, take over leadership - he was excellent supporting Froome in last year's tour so could do well on his own account, ably supported by Geraint Thomas.

This is a tour that's very hard to call, as in winner of the GC.

Good as they've been so far, I just can't see the Astana team keeping Nibali ahead once they reach the mountains. I know that he's a more than capable climber, but you can't do it on your own.

As for Porte and SKY, they lost another rider today and I suspect that they're looking for a podium for him as the next best scenario.

So who else?  If I was a betting man, I'd have a few quid on Contador. Yes, I know that he's nearly 3 mins down as things stand, but that can be wiped away in one, let alone several mountain stages. I just reckon that he's been prepared to let a few minutes go here and there, but ensure that he kept out of the mayhem that has afflicted so many others. Bad news is that he lost one of his 'climbers' today.

We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Gardian"]

This is a tour that's very hard to call, as in winner of the GC.

Good as they've been so far, I just can't see the Astana team keeping Nibali ahead once they reach the mountains. I know that he's a more than capable climber, but you can't do it on your own.

As for Porte and SKY, they lost another rider today and I suspect that they're looking for a podium for him as the next best scenario.

So who else?  If I was a betting man, I'd have a few quid on Contador. Yes, I know that he's nearly 3 mins down as things stand, but that can be wiped away in one, let alone several mountain stages. I just reckon that he's been prepared to let a few minutes go here and there, but ensure that he kept out of the mayhem that has afflicted so many others. Bad news is that he lost one of his 'climbers' today.

We'll see.

[/quote]

Just shows how wrong one can be!

Nibali has been so good (consistently), that I'm far from sure that Froome let alone Contador would have beaten him. That's despite his Astana team, who haven't really provided the support that he might have needed in the mountains - basically he did it on his own.

A worthy winner. 

Other than an Italian rider taking the yellow jersey, it was encouraging to see French riders occupying the other two podium places. Although Peraud (2nd) is probably soon to retire, younger riders like Thibaud Pinot (3rd) and Romain Bardet (5th) mean that France may once again see a winner of the Tour in the next couple of years. It's a very long time since the days of Hinault and Fignon.

Despite the efforts of the ITV4 commentators to hype it up, I found this tour rather dull. On day one, Cavendish handed the green jersey to Sagan (who I am sure would have won it anyway) while the early departures of Froome and Contador left Nibali with no competition in the GC. If it hadn't have been for the impressive Majka, Nibali would have take the polka dot jersey, too. I hope the competition is closer next year. I have just heard that the Tour of Britain will be passing within a mile of our house in England.