Where to buy wine in Alsace

Have spent ages trying to decide which category to post this in and leisure and pastimes seemed the best - not sure about the sport!!

We will be going to Eguisheim in Alsace soon and wondering if anyone had any recommendations for wine buying in the region. Have had a search and there are loads of vignerons to choose from - as we only have a week would like to narrow choice down a bit.

Thanks

Can't answer your question, rowland.

But how nice for you, to be drinking Alsace wine.  For that I can't help a touch of envy.

And Eguisheim, didn't that win village best loved by the French a couple of years ago?

Lucky, you............enjoy!

Thank you Mint. It is such a long time since we have visited Alsace and we are really looking forward to it.

Yes, Eguisheim did come top in a poll - I don't think it will be much of a hardship to wander around and find some good wine (and food I hope although will avoid the choucroute - definitely not my favourite).

There are a large number of producers, mostly small family concerns. And often you will find many with the same surname where the family land has split on inheritance so you need to take care with the full name with any recommendations. Most smaller producers will close over lunch.

The co-operatives in both Eguisheim and Turckheim have good, reasonably-priced wines (they also produce wines for several many French and UK supermarkets). Beblenheim and Sigolsheim also have good co-operatives. Wolfberger (another large co-operative) has a cave in Eguisheim, a huge new, unmissable, big black building on the outskirts of Colmar and smaller caves in other villages.

In the past few years I've mainly bought Pinot Gris and Gewurtztraminer from Francois Schwach in Hunawihr, Christian Arnold in Dambach, JB Adam in Ammerschwihr and Alphonse Fux- Paul Fuchs in Zellenberg, and the oak-barrelled Pinot Noir at Paul Ginglinger in Eguisheim (all as a result of tasting them in starred restaurants in the area).

Others I have bought pinot gris and gewurtz from in the past (and still do occasionally) in Eguisheim are Paul and Philippe Zinck, Kuentz-Bas, Albert Mann, Leon Beyer and Bruno Hertz, (I first bought from Bruno in the mid-80s - the first cave I bought from in Alsace).

[quote user="mint"]Choucroute, NOT my favourite either.

I have eaten it in France and in Switzerland so I have given it a fair trial.  Must be an acquired taste!

[/quote]

Let me think [8-)]

The last time I had choucroute was, errrrr, this lunch time and it was lovely. Mind you it was proper raw, unpasturised stuff. Really nice and so very good for you too. Just the choucroute with cheese and some radishes, maim, maim, maim [8-|] We get it from one of the bio supermarkets in Carcassonne. SWMBO makes it too, both are delicious [8-|]

We've always found Eguisheim restaurants disappointing and appealing more to tourists - we have even walked out of a couple as the service was so bad. Price is certainly not an indicator of quality.

If you want to try just one Michelin-starred restaurant not too far away, we think the Auberge Frankenbourg in la Vancelle would be the best choice (40€ minimum).

Other good nearby one star (or run by chefs who have had stars elsewhere) we visit regularly are Atelier de peintre in Colmar, Aux Armes in Ammerschwihr, Parc Carola in Ribeauville, Au Trotthus in Riquewihr, Maximilien in Zellenberg are mostly less expensive, especially their lunchtime menus.

L'arbre Vert in Berrwiller, Trois Poisson in Colmar, Table de Mittelwihr in Mittelwihr, la Rochette in Labaroche have all been reliable.

For an alsacien meal we usually take visitors to auberge St Alexis, in the mountain forest between Kaysersberg and Riquewihr - not too easy to find. It is well-frequented by walking groups and serves every day (except Friday) continuously from midday. The meals are wholesome; you can park in Riquewihr and climb up to the auberge on forest tracks and then stagger back down afterwards http://www.saintalexis.fr/

We have holidayed several times just over the Rhine in the Kaiserstuhl (but always taking time visiting the villages along the Alsace wine road) so would recommend a visit to the vineyards of the Kaiserstuhl. Eguisheim is about 30 minutes by road from Breisach am Rhein where there is a (very) big wine coop.  You might even be tempted to try the sauerkraut in one of the local village restaurants!