mozzies and other bities

mint

Warm settled weather which should mean enjoyment of the great outdoors but not for me or OH.

ALL biting insects seem to love us and we are both severely allergic to the bites.  It's miserable with all the itching and rashes and disfigured skin and, in my case, the bites make me look like I have some lurgy that could be given to others[:'(]

Still, to be able to eat outdoors has to be one of summer's most enduring pleasures.  OH said he has noticed that some of the French have very bright lights or candles at or near the table where they are eating.

Has anyone found these of use?  Will the insects be attracted to the lights and leave us alone? 

Alternatively, what do you use?

When I am out walking, I cover up as much as possible and have an insect net which goes over my head, face and neck.  It's better than a burka as it is like a big mesh bag and I can see through the netting.  However, it's not practical for eating as I would have to lift up the net to put any food or drink into my mouth!

I find that cigar smoke and a liberal intake of CdR both help - the former dissuades them (a bit) and the latter sends them drunkenly to fly-heaven.

If all else fails, then a good plastic 'twatter' tends to put them off. You know the kind of thing - 40cms long, with a nice spade like hitting surface at the end. Those you don't get end up with a big headache. Those you do get add protein your salad.

The only problem is that they tend to suffer from 'plastic fatigue' as the season progresses, so your twatter may self destruct before July is out.

Hope that helps.

Popular myth has it that a highway level of vitamin B makes you less attractive to mozzies, so up the Marmite intake.

Others swear by Avon "Skin so Soft" which is apparently a minor miracle in mozzie prevention.

If you end up needing cure rather than prevention, I've just discovered that the application of heat to bites stops them itching. I used a hairdryer, for literally seconds on the bites, or the back of a spoon, heated in near boiling water then applied to the bite...hot enough to to feel really hot without burning.

I've heard about, but never tried, the Avon lotion and people tell me it's good.

Anything with DEET in it works but I'm not sure if it's sold anymore.

The hot spoon treatment works if you can get to the bite quickly after being bitten.

I have also tried a syringe thingy to suck the 'poison' out (useless) and an electric shock device applied to the bite.  Can't say if that really worked but the effects of being Tasered takes your mind off the itch!  [:'(]

Thank you, Betty, I will try your heated spoon tip on the....er.....more accessible areas.

Some of the bites are in places that are unmentionable on an open forum this early in the day and are not suitable sites for any sort of heated application!

Thanks, everybody, will see if I can find an Avon sales person near me.  TBH, I don't now mind however many times they care to ring my doorbell with their cheery "Avon calling" greeting.

Desperate situations indeed call for VERY desperate means!

I haven't got any more suggestions to add for prevention, but for treatment, Onctose cream is very good.

A daughter is prone to mossie bites too, and is soon off on a science trip to Indonesia, spending a few nights in the jungle - I think she's mad!

Afternoon all

I was always plagued by mossie bites on hol but inexplicably not here in France. Mystery solved recently by some French people who told me that geraniums keep mossies away. Have geraniums all around house.

Wearing a geranium buttonhole, or even a hat festooned with them,  might be slightly less cumbersome than the head-netting! Whether small amounts like that would work is another matter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Loire

Just had another thought  - geranium essential oil? Supposed to lift spirits too, so maybe wouldn't mind whether you were bitten or not!

[quote user="Loire"]Afternoon all

I was always plagued by mossie bites on hol but inexplicably not here in France. Mystery solved recently by some French people who told me that geraniums keep mossies away. Have geraniums all around house.

Wearing a geranium buttonhole, or even a hat festooned with them,  might be slightly less cumbersome than the head-netting! Whether small amounts like that would work is another matter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Loire

Just had another thought  - geranium essential oil? Supposed to lift spirits too, so maybe wouldn't mind whether you were bitten or not!

[/quote]

Lavender too.

A few years back, OH bought some mozzie repellent and sting lotion from the pound shop. Both were in the form of a sort of pen, with the two dispensed by a sort of aerosol spritzer.

I always forget to wear repellent till it's too late, but the sting relief stuff was like a little miracle, one spritz and absolutely no further itching. Have I ever been able to find it again and buy a huge supply? Nope. ?

As a life-long sufferer from mozzie bites, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems, Mint. I have used citronella and also have tried Avon's Skin So Soft - but I think it was the original formula, as I've heard there are other variations now, so do check. Only our younger son and I suffer, while our elder son and my husband escape it all; I understand that sweatier mortals suffer suffer more than others, and that runs true in our family.

I took both of citronella and SSS to India and Australia (different biters, but all nasty for those of us who suffer badly). I also bought local products in each country. I also sent SSS out to my niece, when she was visiting a friend somewhere in southern India, the friend swore by it but was in danger of running out and sent me an SOS, so I topped up her supplies.

DEET is supposed to work really well, but apparently has nasty effects on some materials, so I 've never wanted to try it on my skin!

In Scotland, where that fantastic headgear you mentioned, is worn by many people who just have to get on with their outdoor work, I used 'Lifesystems' products to prevent bites and their roll-on after-bite stuff, which I found effective.

Here in our apartment, we have a plug-in in our bedroom, which works by sound, not with chemicals, and we rRely have problems with mozzie bites. When I've been bitten, I've also have tried the hot spoon treatment, but find the 'Lifesystems' roll-on and one of those clicker things work better.

On the balcony we use those coil things that you light, which we also used to use in our caravan in Scotland. We also have several citronella candles. Hope you find something that works for you, Mint.

So far this year here in the south of a France, wasps have been much worse than mozzies; I was stung the day after we arrived back - some had made a nest in pots I had stacked up on the balcony and I disturbed them. I'm allergic to wasp stings, so tried to rush to get my epipen when almost fainting, rammed it into my thigh, but had it the wrong way round and put it into my thumb! That led to a call to SAMU and a quick trip to the on-duty GP for treatment for an icy thumb!

We've since had another nest cleverly tucked away under the rim of one of the tangles on our balcony. Don't know why this year should have led to them all coming to call on us, but enough's enough!

Thank you for all the kind advice.

Right, I have now equipped myself with some citronella candles and, thanks to Norman's link, I did check that the candles also contain something called géniol, whatever that is.

Have ordered some SSS and will look at other preventative measures over the next few days.

You poor thing, GG, sounds like you have it even worse than I have.  One of my friends from the gym called me a chochotte so I conclude now that she must be right.

I am afraid to put anything on my skin in case of a rampant allergic reaction and I now wonder if some of my recent skin problems are in fact to do with mozzie bites.   

Just back to thank everyone once again, especially those of you who have recommended SSS.

I found a very old bottle, only half used, and have doused myself liberally with the contents.  And, to my own huge surprise, I have had no further bites!  Mind you, I haven't ventured into any walks in woods.

I don't remember buying this and can only assume that it was a Christmas smelly given to me.  I have now ordered a pack of 5 and hope the formula remains the same.

So I smell of BO but, if it's only to mozzies, I don't much mind[:D]

Hi, have followed this thread with interest as I am a 'mossie sufferer' but have an added problem of chemical sensitivity. There are lots of perfumed products that I cannot use so would be grateful if you could tell Me if SSS is strongly perfumed.

Thanks

[quote user="rowland"]Hi, have followed this thread with interest as I am a 'mossie sufferer' but have an added problem of chemical sensitivity. There are lots of perfumed products that I cannot use so would be grateful if you could tell Me if SSS is strongly perfumed.

Thanks[/quote]

rowland, here is the list of ingredients (but please bear in mind it's an old bottle and the new formula might be different):

Isopopyl, Palmitate, alcohol denat, aqua and perfume.

However, like you, I have very sensitive skin together with asthma and used to have eczema but no reaction to SSS.  I don't wear scent at all and I always used to be given it at Christmas and birthdays[:(]

Also, nothing with lanolin.  But, joy of joys, still no mozzie bites (though I have been staying indoors because of the heat) and no reaction to SSS.  I am nervous of trying other mosquito repellents because the reaction to them could be as bad as the bites.

You could start by spraying it on your clothes and see how it goes.  I still use it carefully on less sensitive areas, arms, jawline, shins, calves.  In other words, I don't put it on the neck or the throat areas and not on my wrists.  I have really surrounded myself with the scent by putting it on different parts of my body so that I am like a no go zone for mozzies!

Mogs, where do you get your citronella plants, please?

Oh, I am burning a citronela candle outside our bedroom every night.

Plus I am avoiding alcohol because I think alcohol makes any itching worse.

mint, thank you so much for taking the time to list the ingredients. I do not suffer from skin reactions but certain perfumes/smells cause problems to varying degrees from sore throat, mild chest pain to needing to take to my bed. Because manufacturers don't have to list what is in their perfume, just that is present, it has been impossible to isolate the problem ingredient.

Thanks again for your kindness. Will have to buy some and if I can't use it will give it to my friend who has a cupboard full of stuff that I can't use.

[quote user="mint"]Pat, you want to forcibly lock her up and stop her going for her own good.

[/quote]

[:D]  I just spoke to her mint, and told her I was coming over to lock her up. But she's a grown woman, and has always been one to take risks.

All we can do is pray!

The trip seems to be well organised, everyone has their own medical kit etc and they've had injections.

Mint we bought the plants when in Spain, I haven't seen them in France unfortunately. They overtake everything if you let them and are very easy to take cuttings from. They dont like the frost though.

Perhaps you could look at one of the catalogue garden centres, like Delmond to see if they have them.

Mint, My rellies grow all sorts of exotica these days, several varieties of lemon grass's and I am sure citronella too, They were recently at a big show in Paris so I know they mail out plants all over france. Could ask them on your behalf?