Personal Cycling Challenge 2015

My husband and I have always wanted to cycle from St Malo to our house in the Vendee. This year we hope will be the Year. Can anyone recommend 1. Any good cycling route books,maps ect. 2. any really good B&B places to stop.

3. Any tips

Thanks in advance

Don't know anything about your route but I have some long-distance cycling experience.

You'd know this already no doubt, but make sure you have the right cycling shorts or trousers and make sure to have lots of high-calorie snacks to keep you going.

Enjoy!

It might be worth checking out independent cycling holidays for Brittany and the Vendee to see which towns they head for and overnight in, on the basis that there are likely to be suitable B&B places there.  It's also worth considering what type of route you want to take - fast with slightly larger roads or prettier with lots of stop/detour opportunities.  Make sure that there are places you can top up your drinks during the day - if it's a hot one, you get through liquids very quickly and it's very unpleasant to run out without knowing when you can next get some more.

Sounds like it should be a nice ride.  What sort of distance is it likely to be (I realise this will be route dependent)? How many miles a day are you planning. I don't know how experienced you are as cyclists but it's worth looking at how much elevation you route will entail and also to have some idea on how the prevailing wind might effect you.

You may find one of the many mapping web sites for cyclists useful. http://www.mapmyride.com/ might be of help as it will give you the opportunity not only to play around with routes but also to see how much climbing it will entail.

Water top ups are often available from village eau potable taps.

Theiere - Not got little care anymore had to get bigger car to commute to work. But I'm sure if you are near I'm sure you could help push me up a hill :-)

Vivienz - thank you for your advice adding to my list of considerations.

Pierre ZFP - if you are offering to be a Domestique hop on board the more the merrier.

Derek.J The website loos very useful thank you :-)

I would love to do that ride but I would need more than a little training I'm afraid.

Still, when the weather warms up a bit I intend to be out there peddling away

Slightly off thread but have you read

Gironimo!: Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy

by Tim Moore

Funniest book I've read in years, also 'French Revolutions' by the same author is excellent

For a few years now, OH and I have been threatening to ride part of 'le petit tour de manche'.  We're close to Poole from where we'd get the ferry to Cherbourg and then head due south to St Malo, now with a little further ride of on to St Jacut.  The main constraint at the moment, as ever, is time.  But OH's retirement should be in the next couple of years and I think that will be the time for us to undertake this little adventure.

• 3 months later...
Well only three weeks and we will be on our way getting really excited about it now.

We have found a fantastic cycle route which goes along way in our direction -La Velo Francette - and looking forward it

We are planning to cover about 60 miles a day and plan to get to the Vendee in four to five days.

We are looking for Bed and Breakfast as near to ESTRY as possible for our first overnight stop so any recommendations welcome. ESTRY between Vire and Conde -sur Noireau Thank you

http://www.villovelo.org/#!v43---v%C3%A9lo-francette/zoom/c1s3f/image_1k2w

Not sure the above (link) will work[8-)] but I am still rubbish at doing links on here.

This route is very newly opened and there has been mention of it in the local papers recently.

The neighbouring tourist offices would have lists of local accommodation.

Bon courage and do let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...